Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Negotiations can be frustrating. And if you misjudge the other parties willingness to have a back and forth it can ruin what could have been a deal.

Give a time limit on the offer, and make it clear that you will move to offer on some other property after that. At that point it can be a lets either agree or not moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 05:26 AM

494 posts, read 368,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Negotiations can be frustrating. And if you misjudge the other parties willingness to have a back and forth it can ruin what could have been a deal.

Give a time limit on the offer, and make it clear that you will move to offer on some other property after that. At that point it can be a lets either agree or not moments.
thats what we said, and have to do.

but I hope one day in the next 2 months he takes my 5% above market offer instead of holding on for the 15% above market offer.

I cannot afford to squeeze out that extra 10%, and even if I could it makes zero sense given market trends. This is NY. we don't appreciate much. in fact with high end housing its break even or small profit if you bought a long time ago, or taking a hit if it was 2005-2008.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I was interested in a property that was for sale for 6 years as part of an estate...

The heirs were very wealthy and property tax a pittance... AG exemption made it $800 on a property with ask of 2M. Rent covered expenses.

Offers came in and listing Broker had letter from Executor not to present anything less than full price...

Property recently sold.

I noticed it was 1.9m or 100k less?

Broker said offer was full price but after inspection it was negotiated down along with a reduced commission.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:52 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Buy the house or don't. Clearly the owner is motivated as they came down quite a bit on a counter. Clearly you are emotional. It doesn't appear the owner is emotional. He told where he'd go. Buy it, move on, or try again later. That's really all this is. No reason to get insulted, and I don't see how you were "baited" into an offer. You got a counter. You now know the owners numbers. Before you could have only guessed so you've learned something.

Also, how would you know how many showing or offers they've had? I never disclose info like that.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:06 AM

347 posts, read 427,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
All of that is so true, and thanks for understanding my frustration lol

Even if I could afford to go up. I wouldn't. makes zero sense in the long run here in NY. NY isn't CA.
I completely understand that. There is a house I love in the town I want to move to. It’s got my dream location in that town. The sellers have had it listed on and off for 3 years (mostly on the market aside from 9mo this when they rented it out). The sellers have never reduced the price, and apparently they’ve rejected several offers. They just aren’t motivated enough yet, and may never be.

There are just some sellers out there that can afford to hold onto their property and refuse to budge on price. It’s the same way with buyers. There are always those buyers who never grasp that they simply can’t afford what they want. The buyers who can’t understand why they can’t find an HGTV showplace for a fixer upper budget. It goes both ways. Luckily, I think (or perhaps hope) both are few and far between. Most people buy a clue eventually.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
to an extent sure.

but changing his asking price to 10% above our offer....after no change in asking price for a year.... proves we were used as bait by his real estate agent to change the owner's mindset.

he is insulting us. why not continue to negotiate instead of implying he could care less about us, and is holding on to that extra 10% because it is a "seller's market" in the 3M+ price range? LMAO. sure dude.
It is reasonable for a seller, before accepting a low offer, to drop asking price to see if there might be interest in that lower range. There's a good chance that after making a huge price drop another buyer will materialize willing to pay more than you. He isn't insulting you, he's trying to sell his house for the most he can get and you didn't offer enough. It ain't personal, it's money.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:30 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
If I had listed a home for 1.M and someone offered 700K, I would not even reply.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:38 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
You've only come up a small amount, and he has reduced price 500k. If the 100k is such a small amount, then why don't YOU come up a 100k?
Has your agent pulled comps on recent sales to see what its market value is?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:48 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Why would you look at a house that's 1.5 mil if your max budget is 900? That makes no sense! You expect a seller to come down 40%? Not happening. An initial offer of 700 is less than 50% of the asking price. Why they even responded I don't know. I would have laughed and no given a response. Look within YOUR budget. Stop trying to make others fit into YOUR budget. We all can't live in those expensive homes on HGTV. You also do not know what offers the seller has received. You don't know what's been going on on that side.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:50 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
1) He wasn't insulted. His counter offer was -17% lower than his asking price lol. Dude finally understood after a year that his house was over priced

2) it is not a seller's market at the 3M+ house range. that is take what you get (if you get at all). How many people can afford 3M+ homes?

3) yeah planning to walk, and see what else comes on market. but told agent that if owner changes his mind (as in not delusional) we are still interested

imagine the seller at 2M
and our max 1.8M

who in their right mind after 1 year of zero offers stays at 2M? beyond delusional.

he is so delusional he is reducing his asking price after our offer. which is so insulting to us. it proves he was clueless this past year, and his agent baited us to make an offer so she could knock sense into him.
You'd be AMAZED how many people can afford a 3mil house. There are whole communities in different areas of the country where the houses cost this much and more. Perfectly normal in many areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate