Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 02:06 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Your math still doesn’t add up. No one is baiting or insulting you. You’re far too emotional over this. It’s just a pile of wood and plastic.
Right. OP is pretty emotional. And the buyer has already dropped the price 17%? It's not like he's playing hardball. Low balling a buyer is also not a great start to negotiations when he's already dropped prices 17%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 02:52 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
A house sat on the market for many millions for a year

using artificial numbers for discussion sake

he priced it at like 1.5M
we made an offer of 700k
owner made a counter offer of 1M
we stretched ourselves to 900k, and said it was our final offer

dude wants 1M, and says it is a "seller's market"

bare in mind he has had no activity for a year at 1.5M,
and is now planning to reduce his house's price to 1.2M implying a 1M sale price

we can't afford 1M, and 900k is literally 10% less than what he wants on a house with zero activity for a year

planning now to do the waiting game, and see if he breaks in the next 2 months, and takes 900k (I would if I were him).

I do not understand his delusional thought process

How do you deal with stubborn sellers besides play the wait to see who breaks game?

What the frick? You are pushing and taking advantage of someone you perceive is at your mercy. You honestly can't understand why the guy won't go down to 900K? Why don't you just meet the 1M or go 950 and see what happens. If you can afford a 900K surely you can swing the !M. Come on. Who is stubborn here?

What you propose is insulting. You know the house is worth more than what you are willing to pay and you want to run rough-shod over someone who you think has no choices left.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:59 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
What the frick? You are pushing and taking advantage of someone you perceive is at your mercy. You honestly can't understand why the guy won't go down to 900K? Why don't you just meet the 1M or go 950 and see what happens. If you can afford a 900K surely you can swing the !M. Come on. Who is stubborn here?

What you propose is insulting. You know the house is worth more than what you are willing to pay and you want to run rough-shod over someone who you think has no choices left.
I don't think those are the real numbers but we can ascertain that he low balled the owner. Thus the owner is a jerk for not negotiating, even though he already dropped the price by 17%. Imagine if this worked in other sales transactions:

You : I'm selling my bike for 100 bucks
You, three months later: I'm selling my bike for 60 bucks
Me: I'll give you 30 for it.
You: No thanks
Me: What?!?!? You're crazy!?!? Why aren't you being reasonable with me?!?!?! Come on nobody wants that bike just give it to me for 30!?!?!?

Old 03-23-2021, 05:33 PM

491 posts, read 367,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think those are the real numbers but we can ascertain that he low balled the owner. Thus the owner is a jerk for not negotiating, even though he already dropped the price by 17%. Imagine if this worked in other sales transactions:

You : I'm selling my bike for 100 bucks
You, three months later: I'm selling my bike for 60 bucks
Me: I'll give you 30 for it.
You: No thanks
Me: What?!?!? You're crazy!?!? Why aren't you being reasonable with me?!?!?! Come on nobody wants that bike just give it to me for 30!?!?!?
or I will give you 50 for it...

no thanks I want 60

thats the situation

Old 03-24-2021, 04:12 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,837 times
Quote:

no thanks I want 60

thats the situation
Sounds simple and so you move on to look at other bikes.

Why obsess over this one?

Old 03-24-2021, 06:13 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
It clearly was a big deal enough for you to come here, and waste time posting a response.

just joking.
"just joking" really
He's right. You are complaining that the seller isn't or wouldn't bend to your pressure to undersell his home - as if you are entitled to get your way on this one. I think you are trying to get over on someone. What are you going to do? Flip the house?
You said you would move on.....but indicate you told the seller if they changed their mind, you'd still be interested. What are you up to?

Old 03-24-2021, 08:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Sellers often think their house is worth more than it is. That is nothing new. And it may very well be a seller's market, but the market still has limits.

Houses here are getting dozens of offers on the first day and selling for well over list. But there's still a limit. Someone in my neighborhood tried to take advantage of that and listed their house for $950K, which was wildly overpriced. Every, other house sold on day one, while theirs sat there. They eventually pulled it off the market. .

This is exactly how my husband and I bought our house.

The way most houses sell here is they go on MLS during the week, there's an open house on the weekend, then "offers accepted on Tuesday" or whatever day. There's a bidding war, and it sells quickly. But our seller listed higher than other asking prices around here, so he didn't get any offers and it sat for a couple months.

Our realtor showed us the house, we negotiated normally with the seller, and got a decent deal. If he had just listed a little lower, he might have gotten more money, and definitely would have saved himself a lot of stress (he had transferred jobs and already moved cities).

Old 03-24-2021, 09:05 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:

no thanks I want 60

thats the situation
You left out the part where you rant about the person not being willing to sell it to you for 50 because how dare they not let you buy it for the most you can pay and after all, you want a 100 bike and not the 50 bike you can actually afford

Old 03-24-2021, 09:57 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
What a mean person who won't allow you to steal his house. You deserve a house priced way under market, so maybe Congress will pass a law that says you can buy a house for what you want to pay for it and the seller has no voice in the matter.

Or maybe like rent, Congress will declare that you don't have to pay at all.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:19 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
If you really want this particular house, I'd up the offer but put a tight time limit on it.

But also be prepared to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate