Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 09:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

I'd just like to say that if you need the zip code to find the house, you're an amateur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 03:07 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I'd just like to say that if you need the zip code to find the house, you're an amateur.
So true.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:02 AM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
We just had our house appraised and the appraiser didn't use two recent sales from our neighborhood. They were standard MLS, recorded, easy to find transactions. He completely missed them and used year old sales from a less desirable nearby neighborhood. The market has changed dramatically in the last year. Needless to say, we have contested our appraisal. This is two weeks ago and we're still waiting. Oh, and he was a no show for our original appointment. All that to say, if someone told me they were an appraiser I wouldn't automatically assume they know their stuff. No insult to the OP. It's just an observation from my experience.

I am very familiar with Idaho, and things are nuts there at the moment. Homes in any haphazard condition are selling at crazy prices (maybe your market is like this too right now!) just for people to get their feet within the state. I am sure the seller assumed their listing would be the same. This is part of their confusion. Why didn't theirs go in hours like everyone else's property?

In a normal market there is a lot wrong with this listing and it has been well covered here. For this market, I think it's exposure. Buyers aren't seeing their listing. The specific nature of the property would slow down the sale a bit, but not much if it was easy to find. Not that I think the advice here should go unheeded. We were going to sell recently. Our realtor said it would take a matter of hours to have an accepted offer. We still had professional pictures done. Always good to put your best food forward...

"We just had our house appraised and the appraiser didn't use two recent sales from our neighborhood. They were standard MLS, recorded, easy to find transactions. He completely missed them and used year old sales from a less desirable nearby neighborhood. The market has changed dramatically in the last year. Needless to say, we have contested our appraisal."

Interesting, Cdarocks. We refinanced our home in early 2020 during the bargain-basement-interest-rates bonanza, and our appraiser for the re-fi did the same thing. Ignored close/local comps.

In our case, our **next door neighbor's had just bought their house, and ours and theirs are comparable. Their purchase price was in the MLS and all that. The appraiser didn't use theirs as a comp!!! We still ended up close to what they purchased theirs for, but just weird (I thought) that he didn't use the next door neighbors. Same square footage, < > 4 acres like us, although we have horse rail fences and tube gates around most of the property and a four stall horse barn and next door neighbor doesn't! But then again, maybe the appraiser didn't use the neighbor because they aren't set up for horses?!

Worked out ok for the re-fi though because we had more than enough equity.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:10 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
"We just had our house appraised and the appraiser didn't use two recent sales from our neighborhood. They were standard MLS, recorded, easy to find transactions. He completely missed them and used year old sales from a less desirable nearby neighborhood. The market has changed dramatically in the last year. Needless to say, we have contested our appraisal."

Interesting, Cdarocks. We refinanced our home in early 2020 during the bargain-basement-interest-rates bonanza, and our appraiser for the re-fi did the same thing. Ignored close/local comps.

In our case, our **next door neighbor's had just bought their house, and ours and theirs are comparable. Their purchase price was in the MLS and all that. The appraiser didn't use theirs as a comp!!! We still ended up close to what they purchased theirs for, but just weird (I thought) that he didn't use the next door neighbors. Same square footage, < > 4 acres like us, although we have horse rail fences and tube gates around most of the property and a four stall horse barn and next door neighbor doesn't! But then again, maybe the appraiser didn't use the neighbor because they aren't set up for horses?!

Worked out ok for the re-fi though because we had more than enough equity.
Do appraisers use data from listings at all or are they required to use verified data from legal documents to ascertain true sales figures? I would doubt that such data is compiled in real time, particularly with many governmental operations currently operating at pandemic related standards causing recent information to be unavailable.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:00 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
My email is now getting flooded with listings from realtor dot com for Nampa, Idaho listings.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:59 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It went from $380k to $725k in 4 years
That was crazy.

Think it lacks curb appeal.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:47 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
My email is now getting flooded with listings from realtor dot com for Nampa, Idaho listings.
Install an adblocker on/in your browser.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:52 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Install an adblocker on/in your browser.
Thanks for the suggestion! I just signed into realtor dot com a few days ago to see a friends possible new house that they are buying in Florida. After I googled this Idaho property, realtor is now sending me emails for new homes, changed prices, etc. in Idaho.

Can adblockers stop/filter certain emails? For example, I still want to get email and even some email from realtor dot com, but not email from realtor for Nampa, ID properties.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:21 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
We just had our house appraised and the appraiser didn't use two recent sales from our neighborhood. They were standard MLS, recorded, easy to find transactions. He completely missed them and used year old sales from a less desirable nearby neighborhood. The market has changed dramatically in the last year. Needless to say, we have contested our appraisal. This is two weeks ago and we're still waiting. Oh, and he was a no show for our original appointment. All that to say, if someone told me they were an appraiser I wouldn't automatically assume they know their stuff. No insult to the OP. It's just an observation from my experience.

I am very familiar with Idaho, and things are nuts there at the moment. Homes in any haphazard condition are selling at crazy prices (maybe your market is like this too right now!) just for people to get their feet within the state. I am sure the seller assumed their listing would be the same. This is part of their confusion. Why didn't theirs go in hours like everyone else's property?

In a normal market there is a lot wrong with this listing and it has been well covered here. For this market, I think it's exposure. Buyers aren't seeing their listing. The specific nature of the property would slow down the sale a bit, but not much if it was easy to find. Not that I think the advice here should go unheeded. We were going to sell recently. Our realtor said it would take a matter of hours to have an accepted offer. We still had professional pictures done. Always good to put your best food forward...
Must be a Zillow appraiser.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:28 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
I see the OP hasn’t responded since original post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate