U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2021, 07:52 AM
 
3,455 posts, read 1,091,606 times
Reputation: 3075

Advertisements

HGTV star Nicole Curtis was scammed with a house she/company bought on a quick claim deed.deal in Detroit. A city bank/authority actually owned it and wants to sell the house after the house was fixed up.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/detroit-...-in-house-deal

Sounds like the owner sold before the process played out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2021, 08:01 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
36,985 posts, read 48,290,113 times
Reputation: 48249
Someone in the flipping business, and the network handlers, should be smart enough to not take property via a quit claim deed (which only transfers whatever interest the issuer might have in the property).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 09:45 AM
 
7,817 posts, read 9,909,201 times
Reputation: 14354
It's not like Nicole Curtis is a novice at buying houses, so there may be more to this story than has been reported, If she actually bought the house without getting title insurance that was a foolish mistake. In limited cases, receiving a Quit Claim Deed could be understandable if there were back taxes owed on the property, since a Warranty Deed couldn't be recorded under those circumstances. However, since she paid a significant amount for the run-down house, why on earth would she would purchase it and not have the back taxes paid off at closing?

It appears from the reports that the City of Detroit may have taken the house through condemnation proceedings (for it being a dilapidated house) and not by tax foreclosure. Regardless of how it was taken (if the Detroit Land Bank actually now holds title) that raises a possible issue of taking property without just compensation. That may be new legal territory in these types of condemnation cases since Michigan courts only recently acknowledged that there is a problem when Counties take property for back taxes and keep the profits when they sell the property for more than the amount of taxes owed. The Detroit Land Bank doesn't have the best of reputations so we'll need to see how this story plays out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2021, 02:32 AM
 
Location: NJ
16,817 posts, read 25,313,803 times
Reputation: 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's not like Nicole Curtis is a novice at buying houses, so there may be more to this story than has been reported, If she actually bought the house without getting title insurance that was a foolish mistake. In limited cases, receiving a Quit Claim Deed could be understandable if there were back taxes owed on the property, since a Warranty Deed couldn't be recorded under those circumstances. However, since she paid a significant amount for the run-down house, why on earth would she would purchase it and not have the back taxes paid off at closing?

It appears from the reports that the City of Detroit may have taken the house through condemnation proceedings (for it being a dilapidated house) and not by tax foreclosure. Regardless of how it was taken (if the Detroit Land Bank actually now holds title) that raises a possible issue of taking property without just compensation. That may be new legal territory in these types of condemnation cases since Michigan courts only recently acknowledged that there is a problem when Counties take property for back taxes and keep the profits when they sell the property for more than the amount of taxes owed. The Detroit Land Bank doesn't have the best of reputations so we'll need to see how this story plays out.

I googled because it was only partial info in the original article. This one was posted 8 hours ago. They go to court Monday


HGTV's Nicole Curtis files lawsuit after Detroit Land Bank puts house she rehabbed up for sale

Quote:
The Land Bank does not comment on pending litigation, but did release a statement: "Ms. Curtis has never been the legal owner of 451 E. Grand Boulevard and the DLBA has already won two separate legal actions regarding this property."

Curtis said she was able to get the house’s deed from the county when she bought it.

"The DLB failed to register the deed, so when I bought the house I was able to get the deed with Wayne County," she said. "Two choices -- pay me back money we paid or let’s find a way to have the house back."

"We cleared the city of any debts they had on this property. We paid back taxes, we paid the nuisance abatement, so essentially everything that the Detroit Land Bank goes after a property owner to take care of, we did that for the city," she said. "The city has no skin in this game."

The city also released a statement about the issue, saying, "Clearly, Ms. Curtis believes she owns the property and the Land Bank believes it owns the property. On Monday a judge will determine which is the legal owner and resolve this matter."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2021, 08:09 AM
 
7,817 posts, read 9,909,201 times
Reputation: 14354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I googled because it was only partial info in the original article. This one was posted 8 hours ago. They go to court Monday
I certainly hope that Nicole Curtis prevails in her lawsuit against the City of Detroit. It is absolutely foolish for the City to not work out an appropriate settlement. They should simply issue a Quit Claim Deed to clarify that they have no interest in the property. The City of Detroit did not pay a penny for this house and the purpose of the Detroit Land Bank is to improve neighborhoods. Too often, the Land Bank has been a land grab on the part of the City and too many insiders have profited from its activities over the years.

The Wayne County Register of Deeds office clearly felt that Nicole Curtis, through her LLC, was the owner of the property. The County recorded a Certificate of Forfeiture against Nicole's LLC in March of 2019 for failure to pay back taxes. (If it were owned by the Land Bank it would be tax exempt.) The County subsequently issued and recorded a Certificate of Redemption to Nicole in December 2019 when those back taxes were paid. IF the City had been issued title through a court action, the City should have had that recorded with the Wayne County Register of Deeds so that there would be public notice. Apparently Wayne County officials could not find any evidence that the City recorded any Deed to the property claiming ownership.

The need to record Deeds has to have meaning. Nicole Curtis should rightfully prevail. We'll see if common sense does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2021, 08:21 AM
 
Location: NJ
16,817 posts, read 25,313,803 times
Reputation: 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I certainly hope that Nicole Curtis prevails in her lawsuit against the City of Detroit. It is absolutely foolish for the City to not work out an appropriate settlement. They should simply issue a Quit Claim Deed to clarify that they have no interest in the property. The City of Detroit did not pay a penny for this house and the purpose of the Detroit Land Bank is to improve neighborhoods. Too often, the Land Bank has been a land grab on the part of the City and too many insiders have profited from its activities over the years.

The Wayne County Register of Deeds office clearly felt that Nicole Curtis, through her LLC, was the owner of the property. The County recorded a Certificate of Forfeiture against Nicole's LLC in March of 2019 for failure to pay back taxes. (If it were owned by the Land Bank it would be tax exempt.) The County subsequently issued and recorded a Certificate of Redemption to Nicole in December 2019 when those back taxes were paid. IF the City had been issued title through a court action, the City should have had that recorded with the Wayne County Register of Deeds so that there would be public notice. Apparently Wayne County officials could not find any evidence that the City recorded any Deed to the property claiming ownership.

The need to record Deeds has to have meaning. Nicole Curtis should rightfully prevail. We'll see if common sense does.

Thanks for your explanation. I agree, it sounds like she legally owns the property. I didn't realize who the Detroit land bank was. Sounds sloppy to me. She knows what she's doing because she does this for a living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2021, 08:40 AM
 
7,817 posts, read 9,909,201 times
Reputation: 14354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for your explanation. I agree, it sounds like she legally owns the property. I didn't realize who the Detroit land bank was. Sounds sloppy to me. She knows what she's doing because she does this for a living.
I have read some of the court filings made by the Detroit Land Bank. There are so many dilapidated houses in the City of Detroit that when they file nuisance abatement lawsuits to take property, they often list dozens of properties, perhaps even hundreds, in one lawsuit. It is conceivable that they filed a lawsuit to take title to this and other houses but then failed to subsequently record notices against each individual house which had been lumped into the lawsuit. That's a possibility. It's also possible that they just screwed up and didn't file anything with the Register of Deeds.

Although she does this for a living, she probably could have done more due diligence. Had I been her agent, I would have checked with some of the Detroit departments to verify their interest or non-interest in the house, especially given its condition. I also thought that she over-paid for the house...but that's another matter. Good for her. She means well and is doing good for the City of Detroit by fixing up these houses which would otherwise cost the City of Detroit thousands of dollars each to tear down. Tearing down houses--instead of fixing them--reduces the tax base and leads to the fragmentation and destruction of neighborhoods. Nicole Curtis should be commended--not victimized by the City of Detroit.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 03-26-2021 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: added last two lines
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2021, 08:55 AM
 
Location: NJ
16,817 posts, read 25,313,803 times
Reputation: 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I have read some of the court filings made by the Detroit Land Bank. There are so many dilapidated houses in the City of Detroit that when they file nuisance abatement lawsuits to take property, they often list dozens of properties, perhaps even hundreds, in one lawsuit. It is conceivable that they filed a lawsuit to take title to this and other houses but then failed to subsequently record notices against each individual house which had been lumped into the lawsuit. That's a possibility. It's also possible that they just screwed up and didn't file anything with the Register of Deeds.

Although she does this for a living, she probably could have done more due diligence. Had I been her agent, I would have checked with some of the Detroit departments to verify their interest or non-interest in the house, especially given its condition. I also thought that she over-paid for the house...but that's another matter. Good for her. She means well and is doing good for the City of Detroit by fixing up these houses which would otherwise cost the City of Detroit thousands of dollars each to tear down.

I've never seen her show so I'm not familiar with her but the case interests me. I always like to learn just in case it happens to me when buying a house. We'll probably own at least 2 more within the next 10 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2021, 09:09 AM
 
7,817 posts, read 9,909,201 times
Reputation: 14354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've never seen her show so I'm not familiar with her but the case interests me. I always like to learn just in case it happens to me when buying a house. We'll probably own at least 2 more within the next 10 years.
I think that she can afford to overpay for some of these run-down houses because of what she gets paid for the TV show. Still, I think she should be more judicious. Maybe she could benefit from a good agent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2021, 10:46 AM
 
3,455 posts, read 1,091,606 times
Reputation: 3075
Here's another article on Curtis's most recent court filing(Friday)

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...te/7012115002/

One of the contentions now is the authority improperly took possession off the original owners. And failed to do the repairs and upkeep they cited the original owners for.

She even met with the Mayor of Detroit. My guess an out of court settlement is coming. Still think the original owners bear some responsibility as far as could've shouldve but didn't. Could be slow moving or vague process as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top