Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 62,124 times

Advertisements

Hi, wondering if some RE professionals can provide some advice since we're about to list our house (but we've moved out already).

1) Alarm System - We have an alarm system active at our house at all times since we don't live there anymore. Is it typical to provide Buyer Agents the code and directions to disarm and arm the alarm system when they are done showing? Or should we deactivate the alarm at all times while our house is on the market which seems risky since we aren't living there.

2) Ring Cameras - For additional protection, we have Ring Cameras outside our house, front doorbell, and also indoors that record video/audio when movement is detected. However, during showings do we have liability since buyers/agents may think we are monitoring or recording their conversations? I've seen Ring doorbell cameras at a lot of homes we've toured. How do homeowners typically handle this situation? I can also remove the indoor cameras or turn them off during showings and state as such?

3) Shoes - Since we just had our floors and carpets cleaned, we prefer agents/buyers not wearing shoes inside the house. Is this a turn off or could we put a sign kindly asking them to remove their shoes or wear the bootsies that we have prepared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 02:28 PM

14,305 posts, read 11,786,350 times
1) Unless it is very simple, I would disarm the alarm unless you want a LOT of agent false alarms and errors. By simple, that means put the arm/disarm instructions on the wall next to the alarm.

2) Ring Cameras - leave there and active if it makes you feel more secure. As a buyer agent I warn and try to keep my buyers from saying anything they wouldn't want to be heard while in close range of the door bell

3) Shoes - Put up a sign and provide booties AND PROVIDE A BENCH to sit down at while putting on the booties. You don't want people trying hop around putting booties or taking off/putting on shoes. I'm not nimble any more, and neither are many of my clients. If you want people to put on booties or take their shoes off, give them someplace to sit and safely do that.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:29 PM

6,392 posts, read 10,186,717 times
1) No need to turn off the alarm system ahead of time. Just make sure that disarming/re-arming directions are clearly explained. I would suggest you contact your alarm company about the possibility of false alarms just in case.

2) You don't have to give any special warnings about the cameras as those are easily seen, just disclose it in the showing instructions. No need to turn them off or muting them prior to a showing. Frankly, I think that anyone entering the house in your absence should expect that they could be monitored (voice/image).

3) Not a problem to ask potential buyers or agents to remove their shoes prior to entry. That should not be an issue for anyone. In the past I had sellers make the same request and never once did I get pushback from potential buyers or agents.

Can I assume you have your own listing agent/Realtor ?

Old 03-25-2021, 02:41 PM

8 posts, read 62,124 times
We're in the stages of selecting a listing agent and hope we find one as knowledgeable as you both!

1) The alarm is pretty simple to disarm (4 digits) and arm (1 button). Since we don't live there, we prefer it be armed when we're not home so in case there are intruders, we'd get notified by alarm company/police. Good point on false alarms. Typically the alarm company calls us first.

2) I'll keep the ring cameras on and ask agent to put in showing instructions.

3) Will definitely provide a bench for them to easily sit and put on bootsies.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:44 PM

5,902 posts, read 7,229,612 times
Just went through this on the recent sale of a house we owned out of state.

Video doorbell, alarm system, active cameras and sound that will record everything(!) inside of the house in nearly every room but the bathrooms.

Disabled the alarm, as we get notifications any time someone enters the house. Left the cameras and sound active.

Disclosed in the listing that these were present. Didn't seem to discourage people from talking openly during the showings.

RM

Old 03-25-2021, 03:56 PM

15,490 posts, read 40,186,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
1)

3) Shoes - Put up a sign and provide booties AND PROVIDE A BENCH to sit down at while putting on the booties. You don't want people trying hop around putting booties or taking off/putting on shoes. I'm not nimble any more, and neither are many of my clients. If you want people to put on booties or take their shoes off, give them someplace to sit and safely do that.
Oh my gosh this. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stand next to clients to they can hold on to me why they put those booties on. Bench, folding chair, step ladder, anything for people to sit and put them on if you want clean carpets.

Any thinking agent will do this for you in vacant homes.

You can also ask your agent to arm and disarm the alarm system at the start and end of each day. The first 3 days will be the most brutal with showings if you live in a hot market.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:15 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,833,863 times
It is illegal to record conversations between other 2 people even in your own house.

Keep that in mind with your ring doorbell or any other cameras.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:01 PM

6,392 posts, read 10,186,717 times
I believe that if it is disclosed in the showing instructions on the listing that it would cover all bases.

I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on television.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:11 PM

14,305 posts, read 11,786,350 times
Yeah I would check local laws for whether it's legal. Laws on that vary widely, and I'm not a lawyer either!

I used to warn clients repeatedly about talking while inside, but I found it so chilling to their joy and expression and ability to discuss and compare and ask honest questions, I quit harping on it. I mention it a couple times early on, and then consider them to be savvy enough to know it's always a possibility they are being watched. I will usually point to Ring doorbells when we see them.

As a seller, I would very carefully ask yourself if you really want this information. It's really not cool to eavesdrop. Do you really want to know if the new buyers hate your drapes? Will it help you have a better transaction? I tell sellers they should really not watch or listen to anything they record on these things UNLESS something turns up missing or broken. Normal conversations should not be listened to just for the sake of trying to gain some inside gossip. I hope most listen to that advice.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,505,565 times
Honestly, as a buyer, I'm not taking my shoes off or putting booties on. If you're this strict, then I don't want to waste my time viewing the house. You're going to be too emotional to deal with is my general experience about sellers with this demand in the past. I'm too old and not physically capable of taking my shoes off and putting them back on. Booties are ridiculous. Same people wearing them over and over. It's carpeting and can be cleaned again. The world won't end. The inspectors and appraisers aren't going to take their shoes off. Highly doubtful that they're wear booties.

And if I found out a seller was recording me, I would not make an offer on your house. I'd also double check the laws and possibly sue you. You sure you want to open that can of worms? Ring doorbell? Oh I'm going to trash talk your house. You really want to hear that?

Maybe all of this nonsense is why I want to build new houses and not deal with homeowners anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate