Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 09:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times

Advertisements

Okay, I moved from LI, NY where there are rules, regulations and new taxes for anything and everything in a house. Now living in the wild, wild west where people more or less do what they want. This seems to extend to the assessor's office and my 1940 bungalow fixer.

R.E. sites have different figures for my house's size. Zillow says it's 1221 feet, while others say it's 934 feet. Lot size is consistent.

In the back I have a jerrybuilt laundry room that doesn't appear up to code. My neighbors have similarly shabby looking addons. I doubt anyone got a permit to build these things.

The assessor was here after I grieved my taxes (as I brought my LI ways with me). He stated the measurements were correct. I didn't see him measure anything.

My questions:

Are assessors able to measure with their eyes, or is it simply indifference because this is the land of manana?

Am I obligated to pay taxes on an addition that was built without a permit?

If the r.e. sites draw info from public records, why do they list two different sizes?

If the true size is 934, and I'm being taxed on 1221, could I get a rebate?

The addon has a steeply sloping floor, a low ceiling and a 5'5" exit door. Funny that the assessor saw this and didn't mention the unusual construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 11:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Be careful what you ask for. The county hires the assessor but also the building code enforcement people. Your formal complaint could result in additional inspections and you could be forced to bring the house up to current codes. That would cost you a lot more than the difference in taxes between 934 and 1,221 SF.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:48 AM

779 posts, read 424,972 times
That's what I was thinking. Likely this could backfire on you.

Assuming it is an unpermitted addition, they aren't just going to say "Whoops, good catch, we won't tax you on that part!" They are going to make you remove it or get it up to code and still pay taxes on it.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:07 PM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Don't confuse assessor with inspector. I'm not sure what your question or rant is. Do you want to have the poorly executed addition included in your house's assessment and increase your taxes? Do you want to be told you have to remove the non-compliant (if truly non-compliant) addition?

Old 03-31-2021, 12:28 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,927,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The addon has a steeply sloping floor, a low ceiling and a 5'5" exit door. Funny that the assessor saw this and didn't mention the unusual construction.
Apparently where you live this is pretty normal.

Now if I owned a house with a suspect and possibly unpermitted addition...I wouldn't be asking for anyone from the guvvamint to come around to have a look at it.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
That's what I was thinking. Likely this could backfire on you.

Assuming it is an unpermitted addition, they aren't just going to say "Whoops, good catch, we won't tax you on that part!" They are going to make you remove it or get it up to code and still pay taxes on it.
I intend to have it rebuilt in any case, as the space is far too small and the construction is weird and sloppy. Looks like it may have been built by the owner and his buddy. I had one floor flattened elsewhere.

As a refugee from the taxalicious Town of Hempstead, I was wondering if I should even bother getting a permit for the new build. Doubtfully my neighbors got one and it's unlikely the current laundry room has one.

My earlier complaint got me a tax drop of about $200, and was already pretty cheap. The taxing office is not so aggressive here because manana, manana.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Apparently where you live this is pretty normal.

Now if I owned a house with a suspect and possibly unpermitted addition...I wouldn't be asking for anyone from the guvvamint to come around to have a look at it.
Yeah, it is.

They were already here a couple of years ago and didn't care. My neighbors' additions are also visible and they don't care.

My taxes go up about $50 a year.

Last edited by manekeniko; 03-31-2021 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 02:54 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
It should be pretty easy to figure out the approximate SqFt - measure around outside walls and take out garage and porch space if not heated - (in NM they are included if heated). You are supposed to get permits for alterations and improvements if structural.

But if taxes are minimal - the extra SqFt is worth more when sell than cost in taxes. Most places only include enclosed spaces in the measurements.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:00 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Okay, I moved from LI, NY where there are rules, regulations and new taxes for anything and everything in a house. Now living in the wild, wild west where people more or less do what they want. This seems to extend to the assessor's office and my 1940 bungalow fixer.

R.E. sites have different figures for my house's size. Zillow says it's 1221 feet, while others say it's 934 feet. Lot size is consistent.

In the back I have a jerrybuilt laundry room that doesn't appear up to code. My neighbors have similarly shabby looking addons. I doubt anyone got a permit to build these things.

The assessor was here after I grieved my taxes (as I brought my LI ways with me). He stated the measurements were correct. I didn't see him measure anything.

My questions:

Are assessors able to measure with their eyes, or is it simply indifference because this is the land of manana?

Am I obligated to pay taxes on an addition that was built without a permit?

If the r.e. sites draw info from public records, why do they list two different sizes?

If the true size is 934, and I'm being taxed on 1221, could I get a rebate?

Depending on where you live, you weren’t text per square foot. Your tax on price. What you paid for the property is what makes your tax payment. I’m in California and that’s how we do it. It doesn’t matter if your house is 15,000 ft.² or 1500 ft.² if you paid 1,000,005 for it that’s what you get taxed on.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Depending on where you live, you weren’t text per square foot. Your tax on price. What you paid for the property is what makes your tax payment. I’m in California and that’s how we do it. It doesn’t matter if your house is 15,000 ft.² or 1500 ft.² if you paid 1,000,005 for it that’s what you get taxed on.
Here my house is taxed on comps. I'm gonna get out the ruler and calculate the true size of the house.

LR I already know is 264 sq. ft with a vaulted ceiling. I got this place cheap and made some high end improvements. Taxes will stay low because of the comps when I bought in 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate