Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 07:13 PM

118 posts, read 181,034 times

Advertisements

I bought my first house about 5 years ago and looking to make an upgrade. The market like most places around the country is hot. My budget is entry level for a single family house (don't want a condo or townhouse). I will see a house listed but it is gone within days. One friend in my price range reports getting frequently outbid.

Starting to look now and worried that any offer contingent on my house selling would automatically take me out of contention. My realtor assures me she could sell my house very fast but I'm afraid to sell and then be unable to find a house. How are others in my situation handling this? Perhaps offering a short contingency timeframe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 07:31 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Your only hope - and it's a long shot - is a seller who wants more time to find a place themselves, or a place that for some reason is not selling fast.

We recently did sell a listing where the seller turned down a high cash offer with a quick close because they wanted more time and the buyer needed to close fast. They were perfectly willing to consider contingencies with a 60+ day closing time frame.

Look for the listing that has been on the market awhile for some reason. See if it's a reason you can live with.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:07 PM

347 posts, read 427,223 times
I bought my current house in 2016. It was a multiple bid situation. I won the bid despite having a contingent offer on my old house selling (I was under contract and had gotten through inspection), because i offered over asking and I could close when the sellers needed me to close. The closing date was by far the most important to the sellers of my house, because they already had a contract on another house, and in order to close on their new house, they had close on their current one.

So it does happen. And, my house hits the market on Friday. I’m in a hot sellers market. And my priorities are lack of inspection and the ability to rent back. If someone with a contingency submitted a strong offer (it wouldn’t need to be the highest, but would need to be good) waived an inspection and allowed me to rent back I’d take that offer in a heart beat. I doubt I’ll get that, but you never know what the sellers priorities will be.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:13 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Your contingency would never be accepted in our Hot market where homes are getting 5-30 offers and selling above the list price.

Sell and move into temporary housing first if you want to buy now. But that's a huge risk.

I have several clients in your position and the bad part is their houses are not on the market also.

Last edited by Rakin; 03-30-2021 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 07:28 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
We were in this situation last summer. So we went ahead and made an offer on a house with no contingency and as soon as our offer was accepted we listed our house and it sold in 12 hours. In our case, we already had the house we were living in perfectly ready in every way to be listed immediately. Every corner perfectly clean, totally decluttered, etc. And our realtor ready to pull the trigger the minute we said GO.

We actually bought a house that needed work and sold a house totally updated so in our case we closed on the new house before the old house....but we had money for the first house that wasn’t dependent on the sale of the house we were selling. But you could time it differently. With a multi-offer environment, if you list the price of your home realistically then you should get multi offers with a variety of terms...and for you, the closing date will be very important.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:03 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohardin View Post
I will see a house listed but it is gone within days.
Days?
Your market is very slow.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
I bought my current house in 2016. It was a multiple bid situation. I won the bid despite having a contingent offer on my old house selling (I was under contract and had gotten through inspection), because i offered over asking and I could close when the sellers needed me to close. The closing date was by far the most important to the sellers of my house, because they already had a contract on another house, and in order to close on their new house, they had close on their current one.

So it does happen. And, my house hits the market on Friday. I’m in a hot sellers market. And my priorities are lack of inspection and the ability to rent back. If someone with a contingency submitted a strong offer (it wouldn’t need to be the highest, but would need to be good) waived an inspection and allowed me to rent back I’d take that offer in a heart beat. I doubt I’ll get that, but you never know what the sellers priorities will be.
Why are you avoiding inspection?
Unless a buyer pays cash, isn’t that an issue with a mortgage company for the buyer?

Old 04-01-2021, 04:43 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Unless a buyer pays cash, isn’t that an issue with a mortgage company for the buyer?
An Inspection is also good for the Seller. I always want a buyer to do one as the listing agent.

If there was ever a lawsuit over something wrong with the house, that Inspection would protect the Seller and reduce his liability.

An Inspection is a law suit preventer and good for all parties.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:08 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Quick answer: with a conventional mortgage the lack of an inspection isn't an issue for the lender.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
So as a buyer I would assume the seller knows there are problems
Maybe as visible as windows with broken seals or more serious as foundation problems or plumbing problems...
Even in a sellers’ market I would be very leery of a house saying no inspection...
That is different than a “sold as is” listing...it is more than a turn of phrase difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate