Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 03:14 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times

Advertisements

Does the second 1099 have an X in the "Corrected" box? If so, the hill just got a little harder to get over. Your documentation and bank records become all important now. A notarized statement from your renter might also help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 01:38 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You're fine as long as you can document it. You may have to have a face to face with an IRS person, but do everything you can to document the receivables and you should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I know I’m not in your shoes but I’ve been through something similar before. The IRS couldn’t have more easy to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Definitely not something I would lose any sleep over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We have dealt with the IRS several times on audits. Believe it or not, they are reasonable... There aren't very many places in the country that command $20K a month in rent (if your rental is in one of them, you might have a problem).
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Not to mention... point out to the IRS that it's highly unlikely anyone was paying you $21,000 per month in rent... or even $7000 per month for a full year, unless you were running an assisted-living facility.
Skip the CPA; skip the worry; skip the beating heart and sweaty palms.

You'll do just fine, though, I had better results with my in person meeting than my first attempts at responding to faceless mail inquiries.

Bring or send the the various records people have suggested. Have a photo of the house and address, and when they see it isn't a beach house overlooking Malibu, they'll know which amount of rent is correct.

Last edited by kettlepot; 04-05-2021 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 04-05-2021, 08:30 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
I'll take a little different approach. Are there any 'questionable' items in your tax return that the IRS could question. If so I would look at cleaning those lines up in your return even if you leave the mention line alone. Once they start looking at a return they can look at the entire return.

Of course if you can document everything in your return you have nothing to worry about. But with this issue I am pretty sure your taxes WILL be looked at. I am not accusing you of not having a squeaky clean tax return. But I have know several folks who got pulled in for one line that the IRS questioned only to have other sections (charitable deductions, home office space, etc) questioned and thrown out or reduced when the taxpayers had been somewhat generous, or loose (as many people are) with those deductions or adjustments.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
If the OP is a billionaire, no need to even pay taxes.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:14 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Rented out my house for the last few months of 2019. Collected $8400 worth of rent. Filed taxes accordingly.

Got a nice letter from the IRS today. Apparently the property management company provided the IRS with an additional 1099 that reported that we collected $84,000(!) of rent for those 4 months.

My wife dug through her email and did in fact find this additional/incorrect 1099 with the $84,000 figure. This came some time after the first/correct 1099.

The property management company is defunct. I've reached out to our old property manager with an old email address, an old cell number, and through FB messenger. No reply as yet.

Very concerned about our ability to get this fixed given that the management company is defunct.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Could the property company have tried to steal money by rolling it out to owners renting through them?
If the FIRST 1099 had the inflated number, that old seem the more likely mistake but to get a 2ns/“corrected” one and then have the op any go belly up eels too one isn’t

Old 04-05-2021, 09:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
And don’t you know who the renters were?
Try to contact them...

Old 04-06-2021, 01:00 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Depending on the location, that's not true though especially with Air BNBs today. Many homes rent for a few grand a night where I live - a tourist destination.
Exactly. I am shocked when I see how much rent is collected for these single family houses that are rented for parties or special events. The highest I have ever seen was a beautiful house with a gorgeous view of the bay during America's Cup.

What's the square footage of the house and is it located where there is a special view or near the beach?

Old 04-06-2021, 08:07 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I wouldn't worry either. I represented myself when our small business went through an intensive in person audit and the IRS agent was smart, decent and logical. They understand that clerical and math errors happen and they are more interested in seeing the money that actually hit your accounts.

Sounds like you have plenty of proof for them.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:08 AM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Exactly. I am shocked when I see how much rent is collected for these single family houses that are rented for parties or special events. The highest I have ever seen was a beautiful house with a gorgeous view of the bay during America's Cup.

What's the square footage of the house and is it located where there is a special view or near the beach?
Pre-Covid, it wasn't unusual to rent out places near events.
World Series
America's Cup (as you eluded to.)
Superbowl
March Madness
Triathlons
Marathons
USGP's
Premier Soccer

Any other event that draw's a crowd.

Some palatial estates rent out to "Reality TV Shows" These can be $5000/day. (or more.)

Happens all the time, in Rancho Santa Fe.

Back to the OP~ This isn't a "mayday, mayday, mayday" situation.

"Pan, pan, pan" maybe.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:17 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Call the IRS.

Had a similar situation and was able to clear it up over the phone.

They could not have been easier to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate