Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
BINGO!!! The bins are against the home and so the trash is literally piling up onto the home. I do not want trash on the wall of the property. I can't imagine anyone wanting that, which is why I'm sure they moved it to my side -- to keep their building clean. The bins block the basement windows too.
Take pictures, and if you want...use it as a reason to withdraw from the sale. Otherwise put up a fence, which would have its own negatives....garbage could still drift onto your property. I think I would try to get out of the sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 12:21 PM

11,115 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
BINGO!!! The bins are against the home and so the trash is literally piling up onto the home. I do not want trash on the wall of the property. I can't imagine anyone wanting that, which is why I'm sure they moved it to my side -- to keep their building clean. The bins block the basement windows too.
Well that right there is your reason for asking them to move them from your side of the driveway. I would move them across the driveway to the neighbor's side, and tape on a note saying sorry, but I needed to move your cans away from my basement windows because they were being blocked. Then I would clean up any spilled trash next to your wall, just to be nice, and dispose of it.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:47 PM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,390 times
Quote:
Amanda, I think you hit the nail on the head here. I'll just let this one go. I'm shocked I've never noticed this before after all of these months and right before closing. Smh. I'm mainly concerned about bugs and rodents. This isn't a single family home.

It's a large multi-family so that's a LOT of garbage that builds up on the exterior wall of the property. I think it's wrong but I guess they're doing nothing wrong from all of the responses here.
Well this changes things considerably. When you first posted, I imagined 2 bins at most. Now you’re saying “multi-family” with “lots of garbage”. No way I could live with that. Did the seller disclose.....”neighbors’s multi-family trash is physically placed along side of sellers house..” or something to that effect?

Interesting situation. Adding this to my “what to look for list” next time I’m house shopping! Lol

Good luck. Hope things work out in your favor!

Old 04-07-2021, 02:39 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are places you can be cited/fined for leaving garbage cans outdoors for more than a specified number of hours before a scheduled pickup. Either because of a nitpicky HOA or because the cans create an attractive nuisance in the form of unwelcome critters: raccoons, rats, dogs, coyotes, or BEARS! We have to buy our own containers here. Last thing I want is a bear to rip them (full or not they still smell) apart over and over again. Fines for habituating bears are substantial.
Here, it is a city ordinance. And they do write tickets and assess fines:

https://www.woodburymn.gov/document_...t-brochure.pdf

Old 04-07-2021, 04:23 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's how I understood it as well. It seems like a very unique scenario.

My feeling is that the owner of the driveway has every legal right to put their trash cans anywhere they want to. If putting them up against the OP's building is still technically on their property, then there really isn't much the OP can do about it to force them.

Is it rude? Yes.

This is a scenario where a tactful approach might be better. Introduce yourself and get friendly. Strike up conversation a few times, and maybe on the 4th or 5th convo bring up the barrels. Maybe say "We like to open the windows and the smell is getting in the building. Do you mind moving them to a different location?"

If they say no, really not much you can do.
This seems reasonable to me, although if the garbage is piling up on your house it seems unlikely to work. I would seek info from the local town or city office.

Last edited by dcfas; 04-07-2021 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 04:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
So you don't like where your neighbor puts his bins on his own property?

I think that there is a neighbor issue brewing, but it isn't the guy who is currently living there.
Haha!

I once lived where the next-door neighbor on a shared driveway used to just fling open the kitchen window and toss the trash out NEAR the trash cans to be picked up later if not carried off by marauding raccoons and opposums in the meantime...

At least yours puts the trash IN the trash cans.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:19 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
OP I think this is an awful situation. Has the house you are purchasing been empty for a while? Hopefully that's the reason the neighbor got "creative" with his trash storage. If no one was living there he might have put his trash there to get it away from his house temporarily but I would want to know for sure if he plans to continue to do that.

Blocking your basement windows is so wrong and I can't imagine you would want to open the windows above the garbage cans. If the neighbor thinks this type of thing is alright, I would wonder what else would be acceptable living conditions to him ... to his neighbors' dismay.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Here, it is a city ordinance. And they do write tickets and assess fines:

https://www.woodburymn.gov/document_...t-brochure.pdf
If you want to spend your entire life calling the city code inspector on your next-door neighbor...

It didn't do ME any good. and I eventually had to practically give the house away because of the infractions.

This is why it's advised to stake out the neighborhood at all hours of the day and night before buying!

(In my case, I was there first.)

Old 04-07-2021, 06:46 PM

9,864 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Sounds like the garage was an after thought or the property was formally divided up differently or after constructions. Hopefully it's written in the dead or something you are guaranteed access to garage. I don't know if it's worth a survey or not.

Garbage cans with lids or lined with bags start to stink and attract critters and bugs.

The realtor should find that out if you haven't close because they might need that information if not sold.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:34 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforever12 View Post
You can say something. But let say the neighbor ignore what you said, what would you do next?
I would move the cans to their side, spilling some out. I would do that until they figured out it was less messy to keep them on their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate