Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 06:35 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Correct. It's about the smells generated in the immediate neighborhood and/or near by houses. Yes areas have smells from nearby industry, restaurants etc this is most not all but mostly about the immediate neighborhood and adjacent houses.

To me if I have to close my windows because of a smell that's enough not to buy.

Also when many people drive theses days they either have the AC or heat cranking with winodws closed. When house shopping I'd take some slow rides through the area around dinner time, rush hour and weekends for a whole host of reasons but literally take in the area when it comes to smells.
Unfortunately, if people are buying in an area they are new to and the smells are intermittent, they may not notice them when viewing the house. I once warned a co-worker off buying a house in a new development close to the county's huge waste disposal site. The site wasn't visible from the road or the development, but locals knew that when the humidity level was high it tended to give off methane. The only thing worse than the methane was when the site managers sprayed tangerine fragrance to try and mask the odor - the combination was truly nauseating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Colors wouldn't really bother me, but extreme smells would. And this is regardless of whether the smells are "good" vs. "bad." While I could deal with the smell from a bakery more than the smell coming from a sanitation facility, I would prefer something more neutral (nature, the trees, etc.).

When I lived in Honolulu, there was a sanitation facility that you passed by while driving on the interstate. It was horrible and I always rolled up my windows and/or turned off the AC when passing that area. There was also a bakery in that area, which when the sanitation facility was not conducting ops (and you really couldn't smell rotting trash) smelled absolutely wonderful. But I still wouldn't want to live with those smells constantly either.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:20 AM

9 posts, read 4,473 times
If they are good cooking smells then awesome, if you get on well with your neighbours you may end up getting some nice food from them.
I dream of having a nice Indian or Thai family next door that would let me sample some of their delicious food. I'm lucky enough to be married to a foreign woman who has an aunt with a restaurant - yeehaaaa! Just have to be careful not to milk it too much.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:38 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
I came close to buying a great house right on the water - but the smell from a chemical plant 500ft away was bad M-F when operating, the small group of about 20 homes were about half the price of others nearby - the smell is now gone and that house is over $2M.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:55 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Yes

Old 04-09-2021, 06:39 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Absolutely, yes. I have a very keen sense of smell and there are some odors that would chase me away. Aside from the chemical stuff, I would pass on a house if I knew that there would likely be frequent activities that would generate particulate matter next door.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:26 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I would pass on a house if I knew that there would likely be frequent activities that would generate particulate matter next door.
Excuse the pun, but when in particular might that be ? I am not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand what you are referring to.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But that would be a smell you'd smell when actually IN the house, correct? I understood the question to be more about smells in the neighborhood.
Both in and out. They offered to redo the floors but wouldn't have gotten rid of the outside smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate