Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 10:21 AM

9,838 posts, read 4,623,002 times

Advertisements

Would extreme odors in a neighborhood prevent you from buying a house that by itself would be a good deal or suit your needs?

Live in an area where many cook some extremely spicey and smelly food. To the point where you can't open a window if you are a house or two away or across the street. Also there are places where potheads go out in their backyards and smoke that poop with regularity again unable to open windows or be outside when they're doing it. Used to be one only had to worry about apartment buildings but many neighborhoods of houses experiencing the same issues.

But along with things like noise, extreme colors would the odors of a neighborhood affect your buying decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 10:21 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Yes

Old 04-05-2021, 10:40 AM

867 posts, read 721,273 times
Colors wouldn't bother me in the least, but smells likely would. I grew up in New England when paper mills were still belching the most awful stink you can imagine short of a decaying body, so I know how hard those are to live with. The problem with "residential odors," and here I am thinking more about tobacco and marijuana than cooking, is that you never know when they are going to move in (or, hopefully, out).

Old 04-05-2021, 10:48 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I would be concerned if those odors were coming from a landfill or a waste treatment plant more than someone cooking food. If it truly bothers you, don't buy there. Seems simple to me.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:49 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
Yep, the paper mill smell is crazy. Used to catch a whiff of it once in awhile at the home I grew up in. And that was about 10 miles away from the mill. Couldn't imagine having to smell that every day.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:14 PM

35 posts, read 18,564 times
Absolutely it will impact my decision.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:17 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
Yes

Old 04-05-2021, 12:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Would extreme odors in a neighborhood prevent you from buying a house that by itself would be a good deal or suit your needs?

Live in an area where many cook some extremely spicey and smelly food. To the point where you can't open a window if you are a house or two away or across the street. Also there are places where potheads go out in their backyards and smoke that poop with regularity again unable to open windows or be outside when they're doing it. Used to be one only had to worry about apartment buildings but many neighborhoods of houses experiencing the same issues.

But along with things like noise, extreme colors would the odors of a neighborhood affect your buying decision
Odors are absolutely a reason not to buy a house or rent an apartment. I wouldn't want to live near most restaurants because of the smell of grease in the air. Many cuisines have an odor I don't care for. My brother had this problem in an apartment and he ended up moving because the smell made him nauseous. Landfills stink to high heaven and no one wants to live near them.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:06 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I think if there was a feedlot or a pig farm, that would affect my decision. Mushroom farm - yes.

Pot smoker? No. Cooking smells? No. I can't imagine a situation where smells from those things would be so strong I could smell them across a yard of a detached house, enough that it would bother me. Neither are unpleasant smells, really. I live around and love animals, I KNOW an unpleasant smell when I smell one.

There is a difference between being AWARE of other people, and being BOTHERED by other people. If you want to live where you can see other people, you will occasionally be able to hear or smell them too. That doesn't mean they're wrong or that life can't be enjoyed there. It just means you need to be a little tolerant if you live around others.

If that's a problem for you, buy more land.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:12 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I can't imagine cooking smells reaching another property from another single family house. I grew up in a house where you could talk to the people next door from our houses and can't imagine smelling anything they cooked. Smoking is a different matter but again unless you're talking crowds of people smoking in their yards every night not sure how could be an issue that could impact someone on the regular. When people talk about odors I think of landfills and waste treatment facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate