Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 11:18 AM

149 posts, read 175,512 times

Advertisements

Hi, I wonder is it possible to sell my house without help of any agents? I may have a potential buyer who also does not need an agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 11:19 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Sure. You can do it.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Absolutely you can sell without an agent or an attorney as a For Sale by Owner. I do recommend to close at a local title agency. I bought and sold my first home without a Realtor a few years before getting a Realtor license (no longer practicing by choice).

Old 04-05-2021, 01:39 PM

149 posts, read 175,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Absolutely you can sell without an agent or an attorney as a For Sale by Owner. I do recommend to close at a local title agency. I bought and sold my first home without a Realtor a few years before getting a Realtor license (no longer practicing by choice).
Thank you!

Old 04-06-2021, 07:26 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Law dictates you much use an agent and pay 6% or more! Nah, just kidding since your question was addressed correctly by the other posters. Good luck with your sale.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:37 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
Hi, I wonder is it possible to sell my house without help of any agents? I may have a potential buyer who also does not need an agent.
Find a reputable real estate attorney to draw up the papers and arrange the closing. It's a fairly simple process for them if you've got two willing parties with everything sorted out in advance.

I've done it several times and it's pretty straightforward.

RM

Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:

Go for it. I've done it quite a few times. Google Idaho real estate purchase contract and you'll find samples that you can use. Do a little more googling to see what else is necessary for a real estate transaction in Idaho. Use an escrow/title company for the documents, funds, and deed.

If you aren't comfortable with all that there are probably flat fee services that can help you through it.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:20 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Isn't this exactly what you've been trying to do for the past two weeks?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...ny-offers.html

Not to mention that you claim that you always sell without help from real estate agents.

Quote:
We are moving into different state due to personal reasons...
We found an amazing home in the place we want to be and put an offer. Offer was accepted, but contingency rejected... We were not worried, because we knew we live in the state that is very popular right now, and people are flocking there... So we thought we will sell our house quick...Our bank approved us without contingency, because we have lots of equity.
Well... a week passed, 3 families look at open house... on Saturday, Sunday... and no offers... We dropped the price some... still,no calls,no offers... Seems to be reasonable, because my husband is an appraiser..
The problem is we do not have time to remodel much... We would lower the price some if people would ask,,, but nobody asks...The house is in well-off area with huge mountain view... Huge shop, and other sheds. House is 2.400 sq feet . Almost 4 acres..
When we sold our previous house in Seattle area 4 years ago, we also were in a hurry, and sold just fine...
We always sell BY OWNER..
Because my husband is a Real Estate Appraiser and does not "overprice"...
What can be the reason? What are we doing wrong?

Old 04-06-2021, 09:39 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Hi, I wonder is it possible to sell my house without help of any agents?
Sure, but you're probably going end up selling your house for way less than what an agent can negotiate.

So, probably not worth doing that since it's all about the money you get to keep in the end.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:33 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sure, but you're probably going end up selling your house for way less than what an agent can negotiate.

So, probably not worth doing that since it's all about the money you get to keep in the end.
Maybe under the circumstances, but the presence or utilization of a real estate agent does not suggest that you'll get more.

Case in point:

I recently (last year) sold a house with a flat fee broker, who also has a full blown agency of their own. Part of the deal was a market analysis. The agent/broker told me to price the property $30k (roughly 10%) below what I was expecting to list at. My price was based on watching and documenting comps from over five years in the neighborhood as well as general advice from a friend who is an appraiser and works the area on a regular basis. I also priced it at the middle of the range as I wanted it to go quickly and not have to drop my price after it sat for a week or two.

The agent was insistent that I would never get my price because the house needed to be updated. True, it did, but it was a solid, clean and well laid out property that would do well in the market, again, based on the comps I had researched for some years.

I listed it at my price and ended up selling $15k over the list. It went under contract three days after it listed.

Had I listened to the agent I would have left a significant amount of money on the table.

I realize this is only one instance, but my point is that if you do your due diligence and are realistic about your expectations, you can do as well or better than an agent.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate