Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 03:46 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,248,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Setting aside repair issues would requesting a cleaning of Hvac ductwork be an unreasonable request when making a deal to buy a house?

Do filters really keep ductwork clean. It's not just about dust or old residue but cobb webs or materials snagged by sheet metal edges and cuts could effect efficiency. Or maybe the seller should run their system a couple of times in a empty house until no signs of unusual odors left.
Completely unreasonable, unless you can see visible mold/mildew up inside the air returns and vents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 04:02 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Not that duct cleaning is never needed, but it is one on the biggest "scam" businesses out there. Look it up on You Tube.

If as a seller I was asked to do such, I would ask: How do I make this fall off your list right now? We will go from there.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I’m gonna ask my question again… What is it that the OP is smelling and why do they think it’s in the ductwork? Why are we thinking of asking for ductwork cleaning? Trying to get the big picture here.
Perhaps the OP watched some late night TV and there was a commercial for duct cleaning that made it appear that it would be unhealthy to inhabit a house where someone else lived and breathed, or maybe the seller had a smelly dog and the OP thought that might correct the issue?

Old 04-10-2021, 07:05 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How exactly did you clean the ducts?
I didn't.........I had a company that does it come in an clean them. They were there almost the whole day, my goal was to make the house smell better. So paint/carpet/duct cleaning got rid of the cigarette smoke odor. Ducts got done first, then paint (literally sprayed everything white ceilings/walls) and then laid the carpet. Cleaning crew probably spent 1 1/2 days there doing cleanup, I'd bet the windows had never been cleaned once in the 10 years the guy owned it.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:18 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I didn't.........I had a company that does it come in an clean them. They were there almost the whole day, my goal was to make the house smell better. So paint/carpet/duct cleaning got rid of the cigarette smoke odor. Ducts got done first, then paint (literally sprayed everything white ceilings/walls) and then laid the carpet. Cleaning crew probably spent 1 1/2 days there doing cleanup, I'd bet the windows had never been cleaned once in the 10 years the guy owned it.
I suspect everything cleaned but the ducts contributed to getting rid of the odors.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:25 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Setting aside repair issues would requesting a cleaning of Hvac ductwork be an unreasonable request when making a deal to buy a house?

Do filters really keep ductwork clean. It's not just about dust or old residue but cobb webs or materials snagged by sheet metal edges and cuts could effect efficiency. Or maybe the seller should run their system a couple of times in a empty house until no signs of unusual odors left.

Ask the house inspectors to check those things.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:39 AM

118 posts, read 77,894 times
The buyer can do whatever they want after they take possession but before that I'm not doing a bunch of made up work because the buyer wants to be a PITA.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

I'm still curious how "they" cleaned the ducts. Sprayed disinfectant? Somehow reached into a 40' duct run with 90 degree turns and surface scrubbed? That grime doesn't just easily wipe off which is why you repainted the ceilings.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:02 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I suspect everything cleaned but the ducts contributed to getting rid of the odors.

Same here. The guy flipped it within 75 days and the offgassing from new carpet and paint would overpower any odors for several months if not years. I'm not ready to accept that anecdotal story as a testament to the wonders of duct cleaning.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,652 times
If I was the seller I would not be happy with that request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate