Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 05:28 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Asking as it was something I mentioned to my sister who wants to retire (Fla) and move back to VA or NC. I wondered if she could sell her home while the market is doing so well in Tallahassee with the stipulation she rent the home for 3 months give or take before moving? She wants to sell but is not quite ready to retire/move. I've never heard this done but I am clueless.
I bought a house in Maryland where the seller rented back for a month.

This is rather common when the seller needs more time to move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 05:50 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Buyer point of view here. Realtor walks away with fat commission. Seller has hundreds of thousands of my money and pays me rent with it. I'm sitting on my thumbs with no house to move into.

Never gonna happen.

Seller is out by close of escrow. Period.

Here's a good reason for a buyer not to allow that.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/rea...home-they.html
Quote:
I assumed there would be a few issues but it does sound as though some have done this with success. Not sure I would but some may see the benefit of being able to secure a home where the market is tough yet they are not ready to move in.
The benefit? Succeeding in getting a contract.
If the sellers have 27 offers, and 7 of their buyers offer seller possession after closing for two weeks while the sellers' new house is finished, and my buyer has the highest offer by $2000, but wants possession at closing, who do you think gets the house?
My buyer or one of the 7?
In the current market, it is one of the seven.
If this is my buyers' 5th offer in 6 weeks, and several of the previous offers failed because competitors offered sellers possession after closing, what should my buyer do to compete?

As usual, supported by the link he provided, Jack has no clue how things work, but proudly graduated summacumlaude from the Heidi School of Bashing Stuff We Don't Understand.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-20-2021 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 09:24 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
I'm in my 3rd house right now. Both times we've sold our old houses we had rent backs from the buyer. The last time we sold our house in 2013, we had a FREE 45 day rent back. Of course that was one of the reasons we took a sightly lower offer. It can and does happen. In today's market, if your sister is selling an "Affordable" property she'll likely get TONS of offers. At least one of them, if not more, would more than likely offer a rent back for a period of time if it meant their offer was selected.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:31 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Seems common. Just be careful.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:02 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Asking as it was something I mentioned to my sister who wants to retire (Fla) and move back to VA or NC. I wondered if she could sell her home while the market is doing so well in Tallahassee with the stipulation she rent the home for 3 months give or take before moving? She wants to sell but is not quite ready to retire/move. I've never heard this done but I am clueless.

I know that in some states, buyers are having a hard time getting the seller out of the house, even going to court due to the COVID renters moratorium. There is even a California case that closed January 2020 before the moratorium but California refuses to make the seller leave because of it. It should not apply to cases where the seller did not rent but in some states it is so your sister may lose a buyer or 2 if that is their concern. If I was a buyer, I would not put an offer in on a house where the seller needs 3 months because I would need to sell too. It's just too much time for me plus with sellers refusing to leave, I wouldn't chance it.

Here is the thread about the house in California. Seller won't leave. What is this? and a new thread where Squatters/sellers finally leave home they sold 15 months ago

Old 04-20-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I know that in some states, buyers are having a hard time getting the seller out of the house, even going to court due to the COVID renters moratorium. There is even a California case that closed January 2020 before the moratorium but California refuses to make the seller leave because of it. It should not apply to cases where the seller did not rent but in some states it is so your sister may lose a buyer or 2 if that is their concern. If I was a buyer, I would not put an offer in on a house where the seller needs 3 months because I would need to sell too. It's just too much time for me plus with sellers refusing to leave, I wouldn't chance it.

Here is the thread about the house in California. Seller won't leave. What is this? and a new thread where Squatters/sellers finally leave home they sold 15 months ago
The links really are irrelevant in regards to the OP. The OP is asking about a formal rentback, Seller Possession after Closing, or similar title.

The linked story does not relate to a formal leaseback with a contract and consideration among other terms. It relates to squatting because a buyer closed while ignoring the contract they had and the provisions in it.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:31 AM

5,988 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Buyer point of view here. Realtor walks away with fat commission. Seller has hundreds of thousands of my money and pays me rent with it. I'm sitting on my thumbs with no house to move into.

Never gonna happen.

Seller is out by close of escrow. Period.

Here's a good reason for a buyer not to allow that.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/rea...home-they.html
Of course, the thousands of times that these "rent-backs" or "possession after closing" deals work out just fine never make the news because... well, they just aren't news worthy because they're so common. You only hear about the ones that go bad. Nobody writes in to say that everything went fine.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Of course, the thousands of times that these "rent-backs" or "possession after closing" deals work out just fine never make the news because... well, they just aren't news worthy because they're so common. You only hear about the ones that go bad. Nobody writes in to say that everything went fine.
The link does not even consider a rent back. The link may as well be a story about a house invasion or someone who broke in and squatted in a vacant house while the owners were in Cabo.

It is a more interesting conversation than deserves a hijack with an unrelated story.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Post closing occupancy agreements are spelled out by the attornie.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
What happens when the seller damages the property after the settlement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate