Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 09:16 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times

Advertisements

If you were buying a house and were told that the water heater worked, but would probably need to be replaced in 6-8 months, would you want to see a new one installed (basic tank model which cost $1600 installed), or receive an allowance of $1250 so you could put in what you want (some people seem to really want tankless hot water heater, or maybe a professional model). Just asking what a buyer would likely prefer. Tks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I would take the allowance and roll the dice on stretching the life of the WH for much longer.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:44 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
As a seller, I'd offer 1 year home warranty.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:03 AM

143 posts, read 385,791 times
As a buyer I would always prefer a credit than having the seller fix something. I am very picky about work on my house, and I want to choose who does it and what they do. I also always assume that sellers are (reasonably) going to want to fix things as cheaply as they can get away with.

That said, I do know that some buyers really don't want to deal with any projects before they move in, and those folks might prefer a repair. Anecdotally (large grain of salt required, only based on my personal experience as a home buyer and seller, yadda yadda) it seems to me that first-time buyers more often want repairs while experienced buyers might prefer a credit. So the type of buyers you're looking to attract may lead to a different answer.

I personally value home warranties at zero, so that would not address my concern if I were buying. I'd rather pay out of pocket than make a home warranty claim, based on the quality of work I have seen from them.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:05 AM

35 posts, read 18,564 times
I would take the allowance.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:09 AM

3,140 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If you were buying a house and were told that the water heater worked, but would probably need to be replaced in 6-8 months, would you want to see a new one installed (basic tank model which cost $1600 installed), or receive an allowance of $1250 so you could put in what you want (some people seem to really want tankless hot water heater, or maybe a professional model). Just asking what a buyer would likely prefer. Tks
I would only state the age of the water heater and not when it would probably need to be replaced. You never know how long it will last and could go at any time.

In any event, I would prefer the credit.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:22 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
As a buyer I'd definitely take the credit. There are a lot of posts on here about repairs that were negotiated as part of the sale, and the subsequent turmoil that arises over whether the repairs were done right, or done at all. You don't want the cheapest water heater installed by the lowest bidder (which is what you are likely to get if it's left up to the seller).

I also agree with what Mike says. Not sure on what basis someone (inspector I'm guessing?) decided the water heater only has 6-8mo left. That's pretty specific for an appliance that lasts many years. If they're just going by time i.e. I recommend replacing at 10yrs and this one is 9.5yrs old that doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:56 AM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Take the allowance! Nobody can predict with a high level of accuracy the expected time left for that water heater. Quite frankly, if it is not leaking, it can almost always be fixed....most are relatively simple devices, My current water heater is 26 years old...only repairs in all this time...a few elements.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:50 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
If I were the buyer, I'd take the allowance.

If I were the seller, I'd tell the buyer "I'm not replacing working appliances". Those home inspector estimates of useful life are a joke. I bought a house with a 15 year old water heater and the inspector said it was an emergency item. 10 years later, I replaced it just because I was replacing some other stuff and had a plumber over already- it never failed. In that case, the labor was $100 since the plumber was already there to do other things.

If they pushed me and I needed the deal to not fall through, I would give them $750 tops.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:28 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
If I am buying a house, I want credits. I would never want the seller to fix anything. He's on the way out of the house; he's not looking for the best. He's looking for the cheapest that fulfills the agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate