Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 07:55 AM

43,268 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

I heard of one over the weekend.
Up to $300,000 escalation for materials costs. $1.7--$2 Million construction project.
Lumber yards are being told to buy everything they can, just to have materials in stock.

https://magazine.realtor/daily-news/...W90N5UMUiY7G70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 09:34 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Up to $300,000 escalation for materials costs. $1.7--$2 Million construction project.
Lumber yards are being told to buy everything they can, just to have materials in stock.

I was listening to a personal finance/advice radio show and a caller mentioned that. The Host said "I wouldn't like that, and I wouldn't do it, but I can't say that you're going to have any choice in the matter unless you want to let the project wait for lumber prices to come down."

Supposedly wtih plywood it's a glue shortage. Lumber it's a bottleneck at the mills.

While I really doubt that RE will go DOWN, RE will stabilize and flatten. Lumber will go down as the mills are able to meet the demand.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:47 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Rapidly escalating material costs are reasonable as long as the costs can be verified and are not automatically added. Likewise, if a builder wants the buyer to protect him from rising costs, it's only fair that the buyer insert his own schedule and other performance clause.

It also seems logical for most larger builders to stockpile materials and then be able to price them out on a LIFO basis. Another thought is that on competitive bids, builders should be required to include and reveal a percentage for cost escalation. That prevents builders from quoting at today's costs against others who anticipate increases.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Rapidly escalating material costs are reasonable as long as the costs can be verified and are not automatically added. Likewise, if a builder wants the buyer to protect him from rising costs, it's only fair that the buyer insert his own schedule and other performance clause.

It also seems logical for most larger builders to stockpile materials and then be able to price them out on a LIFO basis. Another thought is that on competitive bids, builders should be required to include and reveal a percentage for cost escalation. That prevents builders from quoting at today's costs against others who anticipate increases.

We are seeing a return to spec houses, to avoid the entire scenario.
Builder builds what he thinks he can sell on the market, and prices it when he has his complete bill of materials established.
One builder told me he wants to build spec, to put the house on the market only after the cabinets are in.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:06 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:

In our area I've been seeing more and more homes with lumber piled in front before they even finish the foundations. Some Builders are thinking ahead that way unfortunately they are doing nothing to protect the materials from long term weather exposure. Here is one example of that https://www.city-data.com/forum/dall...umber-out.html .

Old 04-26-2021, 05:07 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
We are seeing a return to spec houses, to avoid the entire scenario.
Builder builds what he thinks he can sell on the market, and prices it when he has his complete bill of materials established.
One builder told me he wants to build spec, to put the house on the market only after the cabinets are in.

That's about the way DR Horton does it already, at least in this area.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:08 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
In our area I've been seeing more and more homes with lumber piled in front before they even finish the foundations. Some Builders are thinking ahead that way unfortunately they are doing nothing to protect the materials from long term weather exposure. Here is one example of that https://www.city-data.com/forum/dall...umber-out.html .
Around here, they’re doing the same, except piling it in the back, so it's just a little harder to steal.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:39 PM

324 posts, read 270,982 times
Piles of pre-piled lumber here just as the foundations are going in...with cameras watching the sites.....

That's all well and good but they are having a difficult time finishing out the interiors......

Old 04-28-2021, 05:13 AM

47% of builders in an NAHB poll have used escalation clauses.
29% have prepurchased lumber.

https://nahbnow.com/2021/04/how-buil...mpaign=MMB2021

Old 04-28-2021, 01:19 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
In my market it's typically built only with a contract, not really much on spec,mostly small time builders. I heard one small builer had to cancel a contract that was signed several months ago for something to be completed by fall because the cost of material has gone up that he couldn't afford to build and he thinks he could get more more $ for the house . I don't know what's gonna happen between the buyer and seller..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate