U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,649,774 times

Advertisements

I got hooked on these property search shows for a year or so. I didn't care that they are staged. I finally quit watching when I got tired of all the "He's a gas station attendant. She's a school bus driver. They are searching for a property with a maximum sales price of $900K and no more than 300-400 K in additional required reno money."

I am exaggerating a tad, but not by much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 04:32 AM

45,867 posts, read 19,416,346 times
Lakefront Bargain Hunt is okay. Personally, I enjoy the International House Hunter shows. Bit of an armchair traveler.

But my jam is any renovation show. Just started watching Bargain Block, where a couple guys buy abandoned homes for $1K and renovate them to sell for under $100K.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 AM

14,302 posts, read 10,144,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lakefront Bargain Hunt is okay. Personally, I enjoy the International House Hunter shows. Bit of an armchair traveler.

But my jam is any renovation show. Just started watching Bargain Block, where a couple guys buy abandoned homes for $1K and renovate them to sell for under $100K.
Thanks for the tip. Have to watch them. I love seeing when normal people with normal incomes do well.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 8,043,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I got hooked on these property search shows for a year or so. I didn't care that they are staged. I finally quit watching when I got tired of all the "He's a gas station attendant. She's a school bus driver. They are searching for a property with a maximum sales price of $900K and no more than 300-400 K in additional required reno money."

I am exaggerating a tad, but not by much.
This is what I do not understand about the show. Are these lakefront properties just weekend retreats for the buyers, or is the intent the lakefront homes are going to be the primary residence? "Our budget is $350K max with maybe an additional $50K for renovations, and some extra money for a new boat". Something like this is heard in nearly every episode. Nearly all of these homes sell for more than primary residences where I live.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:14 AM

6,898 posts, read 3,136,606 times
We don't have TV but in motels we've watched "Property Brothers" and along with the fun and silliness, you get to ogle those model-worthy brothers. Worth it just for that.

I enjoy all the reno shows, since I used to build houses myself....outrageous but entertaining, as always.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:00 PM

3,300 posts, read 5,828,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
This is what I do not understand about the show. Are these lakefront properties just weekend retreats for the buyers, or is the intent the lakefront homes are going to be the primary residence? "Our budget is $350K max with maybe an additional $50K for renovations, and some extra money for a new boat". Something like this is heard in nearly every episode. Nearly all of these homes sell for more than primary residences where I live.
Maybe that's why you don't get it. Housing prices are insane across the country especially in major cities. $350K doesn't buy you squat in many of these places.

I think a majority of the people featured on this show come from good money and $350K is nothing to them. I have a friend who is considering a lakehouse in Wisconsin and he laughs at how cheap the mortgage payment would be.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:45 PM

778 posts, read 427,153 times
Actually, knew someone that was on one of those shows. They made like $500 and their realtor got some exposure. But, yes they had already made their decision, the show just tried to "duplicate" the process they went through.

cd :O)

Old 04-29-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Thanks for the tip. Have to watch them. I love seeing when normal people with normal incomes do well.
Design choices are "bold" to say the least. But fun. They are going block by block in Detroit.

Another fun one involved moving and renovating old houses. Several teams compete with one one another to see who could sell their home at auction and make the most profit. Texas Flip N' Move

Old 04-29-2021, 08:59 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,313,966 times
House Hunters International:

"We're moving to Berzerkistan to start a new life! We want to live like Berzerkistanis so that our children will understand how life is in other countries."

That translates to:

"We're going to need at least five bedrooms and three bathrooms would be nice. We're expecting all our relatives and friends to make the 19-hour plane trip to come visit at least twice a year, so we need two guestrooms. What? No dishwasher? The refrigerator is too small and there's no oven. The bedrooms are soooo small. We'd like a view of the sea and the mountains and the city, but we'd also like to be within walking distance to pubs and restaurants and the kids' school. This is really different from our 6,000 sq. ft. house back in America."

"What's our budget? Oh, we'd like to stay under $500 a month because we don't have jobs yet and we're living on savings. I'm planning on starting to teach yoga and my husband is a stand-up comedian and I just know he'll be a success here!"

Old 04-30-2021, 04:22 AM

Watched an episode last night about a couple and their son who rented a house in New Zealand with only two bedrooms, though throughout the show they insisted they needed at least one extra bedroom, preferably two as their college-age daughter and son would be visiting and they wanted them to feel at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate