U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 04:40 AM

45,867 posts, read 19,416,346 times

Advertisements

Also watched several episodes of No Demo Reno in which Dallas homes are updated for $45K - $75K.

Occasionally an opening. between the kitchen and living room will be enlarged. A bar height pass-through lowered to a wide island, or a full wall cut down to a pony wall. Bathtubs are replaced with glass showers. But apparently no renovations involve changes major enough to pull a permit.

With the exception of using real brick as a kitchen backsplash (yikes!), her design choices are spot on.

But couldn't help comparing that to the Bargain Block where this budget cover replacing whole sections of walls and roofs.

What do renovations on Beachfront Bargain Hunt usually run?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 07:33 AM

9,990 posts, read 19,623,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I have worked with Beachfront Bargain Hunt before. They wanted to use one of my oceanfront condo listings as one of the properties that the couple wouldn't choose. They had already closed on the condo that they would ultimately choose before filming even started.

I met the crew at the unit and when the producer walked in he said "Where's the furniture?" I said it's being sold unfurnished and the advance crew never asked about it. He said they had to have furniture for the filming and I offered a sofa and chairs from my office. He dispatched two crew with me to fetch the furniture from the office. Meanwhile he started knocking on neighbors' doors and was able to borrow enough furniture from the neighbors to stage the shoot. Worked out great, they filmed, returned all borrowed stuff and the episode turned out great with the couple "deciding to buy" the unit they had already purchased. Very impressive film crew and the neighbors were thrilled to be a part of it.
I had a similar experience. HGTV wanted to use one of my listings for a buyer. Buyer had already closed and they wanted the sellers to move all the furniture of the house for the show. My sellers passed.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:12 PM

45,867 posts, read 19,416,346 times
I can't imagine even being on one of these shows, muchness moving all my furniture out.

I'm surprised anyone agrees to do it.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:12 PM

14,217 posts, read 7,694,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I can't imagine even being on one of these shows, muchness moving all my furniture out.

I'm surprised anyone agrees to do it.
Inconvenience aside, some probably get their ego stroked knowing their house got 2 minutes of TV fame.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:32 PM

3,744 posts, read 1,445,959 times
"Beach front Bargain Hunter" can be had, in California. That would be "Bombay Beach."

Sure, you may be surrounded by registered sex offenders, but hey, what a wild time to be had at the Ski Inn Bar n Grill!
Yee Haww!

(Should I post up pics?)

Old 05-06-2021, 10:33 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,457,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
I hate those shows! All of them. House Hunters, etc. So fake and scripted, it’s cringe worthy to watch couples comment about stupid stuff they would never comment on in real life.

Ok, rant over! Haha
The way House Hunters works is that you have already bought your house and they find two other houses to showcase. Sometimes these houses are friends of the realtor or even the buyers. They are told what comments to make about the other houses. Some buyers have been dissatisfied that the show makes them appear petty or silly. So with that, give the homeowners a break. They most likely aren't like that in real life.

That said, I still would love the Scott Brothers to come in and redo my kitchen and master bath regardless of fakeness. I think they would have a blast with my master bath because it is so huge, just outdated.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 677,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
But couldn't help comparing that to the Bargain Block where this budget cover replacing whole sections of walls and roofs.
Love Bargain Block since they are improving whole blocks in Detroit.

BUT- I notice they NEVER use tape on ANY drywall seams!

Wonder how long after the houses are sold cracks start showing on all of the walls?

Old 06-05-2021, 12:31 PM

778 posts, read 243,759 times
I find the international ones interesting but they always have some trivial if not moronic plan. Most countries don’t offer a visa for losers. I am moving to Ireland because my Great Grandfather once had sheep there. I am going to be a Tarot card reader as I was in Sedona.

Old 06-05-2021, 03:02 PM

14,217 posts, read 7,694,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I find the international ones interesting but they always have some trivial if not moronic plan. Most countries don’t offer a visa for losers. I am moving to Ireland because my Great Grandfather once had sheep there. I am going to be a Tarot card reader as I was in Sedona.
I also find these interesting (uber-cheap way to see how them furriners live ) but a pet peeve is when the starry-eyed expats with their reasons to move to that wonderful new country start whining about how the kitchens/bathrooms/closets or whatever aren't just like their US McMansion. Newsflash: hon, you don't live in the USA anymore. Didn't you notice? Get over it!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-05-2021 at 03:14 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

22,811 posts, read 10,873,483 times
I think that it's more realistic--especially today--to find such beachfront bargains (particularly if the bargain is going to be in a safe, desirable area) in foreign countries. I've watched some episodes of that show that were based in the Dominican Republic, among foreign other locations. I like the prices and safety of many of these foreign locations, but I'm not quite ready to live in a foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate