Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 05:27 PM

88 posts, read 86,778 times

Advertisements

Love watching this show....hahahaha to all you RE brokers out there.I know you'll agree with me
OK......family comes out of the city looking for a vacation home on the water
They meet with a broker and he asks them what they're looking for
They reply that they want three or four bedrooms,at least two baths,open concept,a good size yard for kids and dogs and a dock,
"What's your budget?" asks the realtor
Hubby looks at his wife and they agree that 300 k is about tops.
At that point,I would say."You guys are bottom feeders ...should be looking for a trailer somewhere
Decent lakefront property is big money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 05:58 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
I think that a lot of that is when these shows air “new”, they’re often outdated already with their prices. At least that’s what I noticed with areas I’m familiar with. It also doesn’t help that you’ll have really old episodes mixed in from several years ago.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I love the young couple that is like “I’m a professional photographer, and I’m a yoga instructor, and our budget is $1.2M” So in other words your family that is financing this has a budget of $1.2M.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 PM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,365 times
I hate those shows! All of them. House Hunters, etc. So fake and scripted, it’s cringe worthy to watch couples comment about stupid stuff they would never comment on in real life.

Ok, rant over! Haha

Old 04-26-2021, 08:37 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
I have one story about the show House Hunters - but it happened about 15 years ago.

We lived in phoenix and were considering buying a vacation home/rental on Galveston Island. Over a long weekend, we looked at a lot of homes. There was only one home that we would have considered buying. We returned home, and two days later came to our senses and realized it was a bad idea.

That VERY night, the new episode of HH was Galveston Island. And the one house we had liked WAS one of the three homes on the show. The listing price on the show was exactly what it was when we saw it 2 days before.

The couple on HH chose a different house - larger, a little cheaper and needed some work.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:26 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
I have worked with Beachfront Bargain Hunt before. They wanted to use one of my oceanfront condo listings as one of the properties that the couple wouldn't choose. They had already closed on the condo that they would ultimately choose before filming even started.

I met the crew at the unit and when the producer walked in he said "Where's the furniture?" I said it's being sold unfurnished and the advance crew never asked about it. He said they had to have furniture for the filming and I offered a sofa and chairs from my office. He dispatched two crew with me to fetch the furniture from the office. Meanwhile he started knocking on neighbors' doors and was able to borrow enough furniture from the neighbors to stage the shoot. Worked out great, they filmed, returned all borrowed stuff and the episode turned out great with the couple "deciding to buy" the unit they had already purchased. Very impressive film crew and the neighbors were thrilled to be a part of it.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:33 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Yes, all staged. House they choose is already owned by the couple. Some times it is interesting to see different "vacation" locations. Always cracks me up when the dock and/or beach is choked with weeds. "Look honey, kids can swim all day and i can watch them from the kitchen".

LoL

Old 04-27-2021, 01:00 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
I'm not a huge fan. But it depends on where you are. There are parts of Texas where you can get a decent 3BR / 2BA house on a lake for $300K.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:17 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath waterfront condo in Corpus Christi for $145,000 in 2015.

I only lived in Texas 15 months, but got the impression it was kinda an armpit of Texas? Not sure, though.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:01 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
The show's premise is near the beach for under $300k, so most episodes take place in cheaper areas. You don't see them near LA or Seattle or NYC.
Plus, most houses shown aren't really beachfront (which costs a lot extra), but walking distance or with a view.

I enjoy the armchair shopping, but hardly ever see an area I'd want to live.

A realtor friend was on a similar show. Her clients already had their choice in escrow when the show filmed, and the production crew picked out the other houses to "choose from". One was $70,000 over the buyer's budget, but producers wanted a house with a view.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:34 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I have one story about the show House Hunters - but it happened about 15 years ago.

We lived in phoenix and were considering buying a vacation home/rental on Galveston Island. Over a long weekend, we looked at a lot of homes. There was only one home that we would have considered buying. We returned home, and two days later came to our senses and realized it was a bad idea.

That VERY night, the new episode of HH was Galveston Island. And the one house we had liked WAS one of the three homes on the show. The listing price on the show was exactly what it was when we saw it 2 days before.

The couple on HH chose a different house - larger, a little cheaper and needed some work.
Also had an episode of HH showing a couple shopping in the tiny rural town I used to live in. They even toured through a couple of homes of people I knew. Seeing those familiar houses through different "eyes" was quite entertaining. Especially what they didn't notice! Such as the big aging spruces leaning precariously over the roof, the lush backyard I knew the scenic little creek the shoppers raved about would turn into a bog every spring...that greenery wasn't grass, it was a wetland sedge. They got all excited about having wildlife come so close...because of the moose tracks in the front yard. Those tracks filled with standing water... good luck getting a bank loan or a new septic approved.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-27-2021 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate