Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 05:29 AM

165 posts, read 93,845 times

Advertisements

Hi.

We are purchasing land intending to build a house. Are banks interested in the land free of mortgage before approving a construction loan? Or is getting a loan for the land better ? I’ve read in my build book that years ago banks preferred land paid for in cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Covid has impacted the mortgage underwriting process as much as any other. Call a couple of lenders or a broker and get their input. In terms of overall risk, they might prefer to have everything consolidated into one loan or, at least pay off the land at closing for the new construction loan. <dunno>

Old 04-28-2021, 07:18 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Based on my experience there are very few lenders who will lend on unimproved or undeveloped land. I had been planning on buying some land for future building only to discover that there are almost no lenders that will lend on land only. Makes sense, but since I was new to the land thing it wasn't something I had considered.

As it sounds like you already own or are purchasing land for a potential build, I would expect that if you're doing a construction loan you would just wrap the remaining balance on the land into your construction loan.

Since I've discovered that it's near impossible to get a mortgage on land alone, I expect to identify a piece of land when we're ready to build and purchase it as a part of the construction loan.

RM

Old 04-28-2021, 07:26 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Pay cash for the land. Keeps your debt to income ratio down.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I suspect there are different standards for platted lots in a subdivision versus metes-and-bounds properties, too.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:14 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The holder of the house mortgage will not subordinate to the mortgage already on the land. So you are going to have to get a combination mortgage that pays for the construction and the land both, or else you are going to have to have the land paid off.

The chances of buying land with an agreement that the holder of the land mortgage will subordinate to a new construction mortgage are just about less than zero.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:35 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esposla View Post
Hi.

We are purchasing land intending to build a house. Are banks interested in the land free of mortgage before approving a construction loan? Or is getting a loan for the land better ? I’ve read in my build book that years ago banks preferred land paid for in cash.
Lenders would prefer the land is owned free and clear as it improves their collateral position, but that doesn’t mean it is always required. There are many variables in play.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,048 times
No disrespect to anyone here. But for such a major life decision you should hire a good real estate agent. They might be able to advise you on things you don't even know about yet.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:46 PM

165 posts, read 93,845 times
Thank you all. I’ve spoken to our realtor and bank and yes the land is typically owned free and clear before the construction loan. Makes sense.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:45 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esposla View Post
Hi.

With todays low interest rates, you would be better of getting pre-construction loan to also cover the land, even if you could afford to buy it with cash. You will need the building plans and estimated cost to build, so the lender can see if you can afford it. But it is crazy not to take advantage of todays historically low interest rates.

One thing to keep in mind, that building supplies are up to crazy levels, with lumber up 200%, copper up 60% and other materials not only up, but are hard to come by.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate