Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 12:35 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

Honestly, this is grand theft real estate. Put a bullet in this waste of space and make the world a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 11:19 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Yes you are correct but 20 / 20+ years is an extreme example and my original point is that it exemplifies the judicial defectiveness of a jurisdiction like New York.
Maybe. But, how many folks have FOUR people they can convince to claim the house as their residence and file for bankruptcy? It isn't a breakdown of the judicial system so much as it is a well orchestrated, organized con that's uncommon enough that it's hard to defend. Average foreclosure timeline in NY State is something like 15 months.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I would have to say these were not "common criminals" but rather very clever, sneaky criminals. I agree that a system that would allow this needs drastic reform. While I am not a fan of the big banks, I do not condone this type of fraud.

Every time they try to make it "idiot proof", society creates a bigger idiot.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I would have to say these were not "common criminals" but rather very clever, sneaky criminals. I agree that a system that would allow this needs drastic reform. While I am not a fan of the big banks, I do not condone this type of fraud.

Drastic Reform? How about a two or three line change in the foreclosure or eviction or bankruptcy codes.

They were clever and sneaky and organized. But I'll tell you that it isn't something that most people could pull off no matter their intelligence and lack of morals. It would involve ME declaring bankruptcy several times, but ALSO convincing three roommates to do so, over a long time period. It's just not something that happens easily or normally.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:12 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post

Agree, fully professional criminals who knew exactly what they were doing. Got to wonder what if they have a regular and normal job of some kind. Evading the banks and foreclosure doesn't pay all the bills.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:44 PM

9,838 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Agree, fully professional criminals who knew exactly what they were doing. Got to wonder what if they have a regular and normal job of some kind. Evading the banks and foreclosure doesn't pay all the bills.
Probably owns a legal cash business of somekind. If he's not paying taxes he could have a low income. Especially if he wants to blow off the utility bills. Some know how to time the difference between being late then going into an eviction foreclosure process. I know others who tried keeping a rather expensive car by waiting until the second or thid notice of being late on payments and wound up paying a bill once every 59 days. The car was still repoed. He said he thought he had it timed right. It's literally a game to some people. Us vs them.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Probably owns a legal cash business of somekind. If he's not paying taxes he could have a low income. Especially if he wants to blow off the utility bills. Some know how to time the difference between being late then going into an eviction foreclosure process. I know others who tried keeping a rather expensive car by waiting until the second or thid notice of being late on payments and wound up paying a bill once every 59 days. The car was still repoed. He said he thought he had it timed right. It's literally a game to some people. Us vs them.
I knew a guy that would routinely be sued, then show up to court, and often as not, would get it dismissed as the debt-collector attorney's didn't actually expect people to show up and argue. A game.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:16 PM

9,838 posts, read 4,623,002 times
This guy is at again. He purposely changed lawyers at the last minute which got him yet another extension.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/long-isla...eviction-again

About 40 times he's changed attorneys right before his court dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate