Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 06:44 PM

7 posts, read 37,949 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

One of the condo units I’m looking to buy is next to the trash chute room (there is one for each floor, 10 units per floor and this unit would be on the 3rd floor of 6 floors).

This is a new building and I have been told that the trash room has cinder blocks and extra insulation around it.
For resale purposes, will this be an issue for most buyers? As a buyer now, it did give me pause for a bit, but it is also one of the cheapest units in the bldg (others with same layout on same floor are going for 30-50K more).

Would this be a deal breaker for most buyers? Appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 06:49 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krats21 View Post
Hi all,

One of the condo units I’m looking to buy is next to the trash chute room (there is one for each floor, 10 units per floor and this unit would be on the 3rd floor of 6 floors).

This is a new building and I have been told that the trash room has cinder blocks and extra insulation around it.
For resale purposes, will this be an issue for most buyers? As a buyer now, it did give me pause for a bit, but it is also one of the cheapest units in the bldg (others with same layout on same floor are going for 30-50K more).

What one person would find as a deterrent, the next person will see as a positive. Personally I wouldn't want to live next to a trash chute room, but I can also make the argument for not having to drag my trash down the hallway to get to the chute.

Kind of like building a home next to a landfill. Some will be fine with it and some won't.

When debating issues and whether you're going to accept it, go with your gut. Keep in mind, will you still feel the same way in 2 years time? Was it worth saving money? How much is that location worth to you compared to another unit?

Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krats21 View Post
Hi all,

That must be why it's $30-50K cheaper than comparable units. I personally would not want to live next to that due to noise and possible odors.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:16 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,448,063 times
Not necessarily if it is insulated and sealed properly.

However, a few caveats:
One, all it needs is one inconsiderate fellow occupant/tenant (or spiteful one) who doesn't follow rules on trash chute. Trash chutes are prone to clogging due to inconsiderate non rule abiding tenants. Irregular items clog it up (hangers, brooms, pizza boxes, cardboard etc....) This alone would deter me from it. At one apartment location we'd also get the occupants who were to lazy to take their full bags to the garbage dumpster and then leave them by / or inside the trash chute closet (about size of small walk in closet). I've even heard of buildings sealing off trash chutes due to repeated issues with idiots not following rules for what can be placed in them, because it can be very expensive to free them up when jammed.

Two, if its a 6th floor building and you are on 3rd floor usually the service core is consolidated for more efficient design, which means elevators will likely be close by as well as laundry rooms and storage (if you do not have in suite laundry type units).

Three, I would check the condo for rules on renting. This will also impact your quality of life. If you have many units being rented and not owner occupied you tend to get more inconsiderate occupants, since they have no $kin in the game and will likely only be there a short time.

These things taken together add up to higher chance for quality of living nuisances in a multi family building, and if you are near the service core you will likely get "more" nuisance instances to various degrees based upon the type of residents in your building. Check out laundry set up and elevator location to determine what sort of other things may be of a potential nuisance to you. Some elevators make significant noise - though as newer building it should be OK, however the fellow residents may be noisy coming and going from elevator.

Note: no place is perfect, but if you are doing due diligence you need to check out these types of things, especially for everyday type issues of importance to you.

Other considerations outside of your question:
What is the party wall construction method used?

[Note: Cinder block with drywall attached to furring strips is one of the worst for acoustics]

Is it professionally managed?
Does it have requisite parking?
Does each unit have individual exhaust fans?
Are units sharing cold air common returns / chases? [Note: Usually they do]

What are rules on pets?
etc....

60 unit condo building is medium size. Overall, if you are in nicer area you should be OK for a newer building. You may also want to check building code construction rules to see what was required if you are a detailed type of person. This type of information should be on file with your county real property division.

Do you homework and you should be OK in avoiding the things most of issue to you.
Good luck!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 37,949 times
Wow! Thank you all for such great advice! Definitely a lot of factors to take into account!

I will do more research into the specifics of the bylaws and building. But seems like living next to the trash room has more issues than it may be worth.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:37 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
I lived in an apartment next to the trash chute. FWIW, it was originally built as a condo and then down converted to an apartment and I would not recommend it, particularly if you are in the unit in the floor above the dumpster. The door to the room with the chute itself slammed all the time and the compactor broke regularly and made all sorts of grinding and clunking noises. I also had worries about bugs/critters when people overfilled the chute.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,406,632 times
Yea, the room may be fine, it is the people that are the problem. People are noisy and do not care about you being next to there, and it will be a 24/7 thing it will seem at least.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Since there is an actual room and the chute is not in the hall, I would not have a problem with it.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,909,939 times
Would it be an issue having people at some regular intervals right outside your door, stopping, talking on the phone...a privacy feeling. Had a friend who commented on that. Another whose trash chute was right across from him. Just a thought. Strangely, outside the trash room/chute can be bit of a meet up area if only for a few minutes.

Another issue is resale. If you're concerned, would others be? As a future rental, could be a good deal given the lower price.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:00 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Since there is an actual room and the chute is not in the hall, I would not have a problem with it.
It's probably on a spring door which slams when closed. That gets old REALLLL fast. And a room will have two slams, one when people go in and one when people go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate