Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My husband is a veteran, and it really bothers him when he sees flags improperly displayed, on clothing, etc. A lot of the folks who feel the need to prove how patriotic they are by dressing head to toe in flags, using it in ads for their business, etc. are actually disrespecting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
People like your husband need to get over it. Seriously. As long as there isn't any disrespect meant, these people really are being patriotic.
You both have a point. A flag should be flown in a dignified way, and mounting it on a high pole in your front yard is dignified, in my opinion. But unless you're a military or a government entity, it's probably not necessary to follow every part of the flag code, which most civilians wouldn't know, anyway. Also, there's a difference between casually flying a flag with no nighttime illumination, and sporting the flag design on your swimsuit (I've seen that, and I hate it, even as a perpetual civilian). Besides, how did people fly the flags at night before electricity existed? And what about Alaska, without normal day/night cycles during parts of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 07:27 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There's no rope on that flag. It's just stuck in a flag holder that's on the house.

It can easily be removed. I have a similar set up on the front of my house.

There's more to this than meets the eye, because he says the HOA president who lives above him has a vendetta against him. Why???

People cannot act like adults anymore.
People rarely act like adults in HOA situations. I lived in Scottsdale (in an upper middle class neighborhood, not Old Town or North Scottsdale) in a condo. Don't even get me started on the personalities that get involved in HOA business. Personality-disordered power trippers. We all know this, I'm preaching to the choir. I will NEVER again live in an HOA controlled community, even with the positive perks. Not worth it. Snowbirds are the worst, and most of them control everything from their home state and descend 30-60-90 days a year.

If anyone reading this is thinking of moving to Arizona or spending winters there, be aware that the laws in AZ hugely favor HOA's. You will not win. You just won't. I never tangled with them, but there were regular news stories about people who've tried.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:31 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
And yet the story came from a local Fox station

The story originated with KVLY which is the NBC affiliate in Fargo, but is actually a joint operation with KXJB which is a CBS affiliate in the same area. Both are owned by Gray Television which runs several dozen TV stations across the country, especially in small markets, affiliated with just about every network that's out there. Their most notable stations are probably WBTV in Charlotte (CBS) and WOIO in Cleveland (CBS).

In other words, this has nothing to do with cable news networks like Fox News or CNN or MSNBC. It's a local news story.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:57 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
I know it was a local news story, but the page linked in the OP's post clearly showed "Fox News" at the top. Hence my comment.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:45 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
People like your husband need to get over it. Seriously. As long as there isn't any disrespect meant, these people really are being patriotic.
Real patriots don't feel the need to prove to anyone how patriotic they are. They quiety and unselfishly serve their country. They put out the flag on appropriate holidays. They help fellow veterans, soldiers, and their families, all without seeking recognition or attention for doing so. Those are the real patriots. Not the people who slap a flag pole on their truck (which wasn't there 5 years ago, BTW) or put it on their business cards in hopes to profit off of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate