Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 07:56 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
You would definitely want to SEE the mobile home before agreeing to buy the property. If it's not reparable you need to ask the buyer to remove it because I have heard they're at times very hard to get rid of or costly to do so.

If it IS reparable THEN you want to make sure it's YOURS and no one CAN come and claim it after you fix it up or put furniture etc in it.

I'd make the situation with the mobile home part of the buying contract. Either prove it's going to be mine before I buy the property" OR "Get it off my property before I buy it!" if it's too far gone to repair. OR THEY pay you back to dispose of it out of the purchase price from the money in escrow. The escrow service subtracts out the money to pay to get rid of it...
You pretty much repeated my original questions without adding anything. However I am getting a way under market price on this. So throwing in those demands would not work. Like I said before the seller is someone I know. I have bought real estate and vehicles in the past that have minor issues hanging over them at half the going price or so. I have always done well on them. But one needs to research all outcomes in advance and decide if its worth the extra hassle. This is a cash sale. We agree on the price, it goes to the title company and a few days later money and deeds are exchanged. No real escrow. As is parcel.

As far as just coming in and moving what is probably at least a 40 year old double wide is not easy. You need to split it in half. Probably put on new axles and tires then pay a professional to move each half with a different truck miles away. To get it off the property there is a narrow dirt road that goes to the main road. Its a steep upgrade.

My advantage is this. Someone in the past paid to move it too the property. I am sure thousands to do that. And to remove it will cost thousands just to get it off the property. As long as there is nothing I am missing here seems like a non issue. Again I would be happy to pay the previous owner for getting the trailer signed over to me. Its free money for them and easier than trying to move it. Or file for a new title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 08:18 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I just purchased a new car two weeks ago, and GEICO, who does this all day long, asked for the "VIN number."

I understand the redundancy issue with VINs and PINs, but it's kind of pointlessly pedantic, just as "10 Items or Less" at grocery store express lanes irritates usage sticklers.

People understand what's meant, and that's all that matters.
And don't even get me started on "hot water heater"

Old 05-09-2021, 08:43 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
I know from general pricing of manufactured/mobile homes the average cost in addition to the home itself is transport and set which would come to about another 15K-30K depending on state and location. I would count on 10Kish to transport the home if someone wants to buy it. Dismantling for scrap might be cheaper.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:48 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I own a doublewide mobile home in Arizona. It doesn't have a VIN, but there is an ID number; we haven't had to deal with MVD at all.

You may have trouble getting insurance if the house has been moved from its original placement; only one company in our area would cover it. USAA and Geico both turned us down.

If you decide to get rid of it, you may be able to donate it, and the recipient pays for moving.

Mobile homes usually aren't movable after they are 10+ years old. Most trailer parks will not accept mobile homes over 10 years old coming into the park.

They are made of plywood so 10 years out they might not be too roadworthy.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:11 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Mobile homes usually aren't movable after they are 10+ years old. Most trailer parks will not accept mobile homes over 10 years old coming into the park.

That's for sure. Although we saw a few very old ones moved---"sold" for free just to get them off the property. Our neighbor tried to circumvent this by secretly burying theirs with a backhoe on the 5 acres.

The county caught them and made them dig it up, lol. Water table and all that!

And btw, what is wrong with "10 items or less"? Supposed to be "10 or less items"? Not that I care, just idle curiosity. Grammar Nazis

Old 05-09-2021, 06:38 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

This is Arizona. The dry air seems to preserve things better. But you make some good points. No one would be able to move this off the property.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:56 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
And btw, what is wrong with "10 items or less"? Supposed to be "10 or less items"? Not that I care, just idle curiosity. Grammar Nazis

I'm not sure on this either.... maybe "10 items or fewer"?

Old 05-10-2021, 06:21 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
This is Arizona. The dry air seems to preserve things better. But you make some good points. No one would be able to move this off the property.

Plywood + poor construction X years of time = trouble (dry air or not)

Old 05-10-2021, 08:11 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
We sold my MIL's 50+ year old doublewide in a mobile home park in California a few years ago.

We considered selling to a company that buys older MHs and moves them--reportedly to Mexico--and puts big new mobiles on the tiny lots.

So apparently it's possible to move an old one.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:17 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
It's VIN - Vehicle Identification Number. Saying or writing "number" a second time is redundant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate