U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 PM

281 posts, read 87,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The house hasn't been painted for decades, so it needs paint. Same for the pool and deck surfaces. Filling in the pool would be way less expensive than refinishing it, so that will be up to the buyer. Inside the house, other than new appliances, laminate floor throughout, blinds, a couple toilets, faucets and shower heads, the rest is 1973. It will be clean and functional when I list it, but a 48 year old tile shower is still a 48 year old shower no matter how well it's been maintained. I fully expect to deter some buyers.

The attraction is the location and development...600 homes on 2.2 acre lots, 15 min from the city. When I list it, it will be the least expensive home in the development. In fact, it will be the least expensive home on 2+ acres in the whole County. Just can't seem to decide on whether to paint or not. Maybe I'll just paint the front so that buyers aren't deterred before they even get out of their car.
If the house is as old and outdated as you say, just sell it as is.

If it was an otherwise more updated and maintained home a fresh paint job is well worth the money. A fresh paint job does wonders for the appeal.

You already know you are going to be getting the bottom of market value. In this case it’s probably not money well spent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 03:28 PM

3,547 posts, read 1,320,581 times
Quote:
More than one person has suggested to me that I won't recoup my cost for having a contractor paint my Florida house as I'm ready to sell it. Anybody around here feel that way too?
Paint is probably one of the cheapest cost improvements that a home owner can make. AND, it makes the biggest difference. So, yes, paint it.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:40 PM

22 posts, read 1,992 times
Quote:
More than one person has suggested to me that I won't recoup my cost for having a contractor paint my Florida house as I'm ready to sell it. Anybody around here feel that way too?
It’s good to paint, but I would never hire someone for that. Painters often use crappy paint, overcharge and do not cover the walls very well. The reason for not recouping the cost that the color/s you choose may not appeal to others. My realtor said that grey was good, so I picked a shade that looked appealing and went that. No issues with the color and the property was scooped up quickly. It was hard work, but worth it.

Last edited by Free Booze; 05-12-2021 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 03:52 PM

23,531 posts, read 15,009,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Paint is probably one of the cheapest cost improvements that a home owner can make. AND, it makes the biggest difference. So, yes, paint it.
it's a house that hasn't been updated for 5 decades. Paint isn't going to change that and is just throwing away money because it's still going to be an outdated house in need of a major renovation, after which it will - of course - need to be painted.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:44 PM

24 posts, read 15,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Booze View Post
It’s good to paint, but I would never hire someone for that. Painters often use crappy paint, overcharge and do not cover the walls very well.
You're not kidding! I had a contractor paint my other house. He told me to pick the colors, so I did. He used a different brand paint altogether and slightly different colors.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

6,223 posts, read 6,685,746 times
Quote:
You're not kidding! I had a contractor paint my other house. He told me to pick the colors, so I did. He used a different brand paint altogether and slightly different colors.
To prevent that, when I had my house painted I bought the paint myself. I was able to get the contractor's price at my local Sherwin Williams store. By buying the paint myself I made sure I got the correct formulation and quantity. It also prevented the possibility of an upfront payment to a contractor being mis-spent.

It all worked out well.

Old Today, 07:42 AM

1,618 posts, read 1,350,136 times
I've had excellent luck with Home Depot's oops paint. Sometimes I use it straight, other times I make my own color blends. I buy smallish cans of paint in strong colors, sometimes weird colors, because they are really good for blending.

A few weeks ago I bought a can of really dark, drab, ugly purple. When combining with some bright turquoise paint I had in the house, it blended to a beautiful blueberry color which I used on a window trim. Looks great in the room I painted light pistachio green (mixed yellow with some garish green).

Old Today, 09:16 AM

9,960 posts, read 19,563,783 times
https://youtu.be/FchHkNkgXSM?t=76

Short video I did showing the renovations I made to one of my rental houses when I sold it recently including renovation costs and return. It had been a rental for about 12 years before I fixed it up. Had to replace the roof as well because it was at the end of it's life, and I had a home inspection done up front and fixed the 30 or so items that came up on the home inspection in addition to the renovations. When I sold the house the buyer had their own inspection done and only asked for 2 small additional repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate