U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 02:06 PM

2,488 posts, read 6,570,375 times

Advertisements

Last year, I was selling a home right when covid started to one of my past clients. They gave me a an pretty expensive bottle of Scotch after they bought their new house and a good online post about me with they told the work that they moved at the end of May. A few months after they bought, we closed on their previous address and was a given an $200 prepaid visa but they wanted me to use it at local restaurants and shops that had reduced capacity & recently opened up or had to close for a while as they love our town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 02:06 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,686 posts, read 4,954,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yes, flowers ARE weird. You're in Texas now. THINK like a Texan. If you want to get your realtor something they'd REALLY appreciate, then get them ammo. (You think I'm kidding? Try it.)

Unless you want to really "thank them." Then get them a 1911. Heck, every Texan should have at least 2 or 3 1911's. (BTW, since you're now a Texan, you'll need to pony up to the bar and get a 1911 for yourself.)

You get them flowers, and watch their facial expression. Get them a few hundred rounds, and watch their expression...

2 different re-actions, entirely.
I thought the 1911 was in the glove compartment of the pickup truck everyone was issued when they established residency there?

With the cost of ammo today when you *can* find it, that could be an expensive gift!

RM

Old 05-12-2021, 02:49 PM

9,965 posts, read 19,578,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I thought the 1911 was in the glove compartment of the pickup truck everyone was issued when they established residency there?

With the cost of ammo today when you *can* find it, that could be an expensive gift!

RM
I told my stock guy I wanted him to move money into any sort of firearm based company. He thought I was kidding and didn't do it. I should have pressed the issue.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:00 PM

3,630 posts, read 1,355,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
That could very well be a stipulation, for Texas! (I knew about the rifle rack in the back window...)
Quote:

RM
Not just the cost, but the availability...

Around here, there isn't any. Not even any re-loading components...

Beginning to think, it may become an important commodity, sooner, rather than later...

Back to the thread, any nice gift I'm sure would be appreciated (EXCEPT flowers...)

Old 05-12-2021, 04:38 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,686 posts, read 4,954,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
That could very well be a stipulation, for Texas! (I knew about the rifle rack in the back window...)Not just the cost, but the availability...

Around here, there isn't any. Not even any re-loading components...

Beginning to think, it may become an important commodity, sooner, rather than later...

Back to the thread, any nice gift I'm sure would be appreciated (EXCEPT flowers...)
Agreed! I get notifications when inventory shows up, but I'll be darned if I'm paying $0.60+ for regular 9mm Luger rounds. That's just crazy.

As for me, when I've worked with a realtor and they do a good job, I make darned sure people know it, whether it be through social media, ratings site, or a letter of reference.

RM

Old 05-13-2021, 03:07 PM

660 posts, read 519,946 times
My housing transaction was quite simple, bought the first house. However, the realtor did help us with an issue at our previous home (which is now a rental) too. I wrote a review online on a few places and also gave $100 or $150 gift card (can't remember exact figure) to Target.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:45 PM

5,189 posts, read 7,004,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Probably not. I had a situation recently where we didn't get the ALTA until we were at the closing table. Attorney offices usually botch that even when we've provided the correct information. Even though I had told my client I hadn't seen it yet, and requested a copy at the closing, and I was the one who pointed out right there in front of everyone the commission was wrong on both sides, my client accused me of trying to pull a fast one on him. You can't win with some people. I just didn't bother to add him to my followup list.
The difference was that YOU pointed it out. In my case, I was the one to point it out. The agent was sitting right there next to me looking at the same paperwork and not saying a thing. I didn't accuse her of trying to pull a fast one....but that's how it felt to me. And my normal instinct would've been to just say oh forget about it rather than look cheap and insist the paperwork be re-done. But not when I feel someone's trying to pull a fast one.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:46 PM

5,189 posts, read 7,004,366 times
Ooooohhh, OP, hope you're up-to-speed on all your guns and ammo to fit in with these macho Texans who want to make sure we all know they're loadin' up their arsenals.

Oh but back to the thread, I've never given a gift to my agent except the commission.

Last edited by Avalon08; 05-15-2021 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-17-2021, 12:46 PM

12,157 posts, read 10,502,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Figs View Post
We just bought a house right outside of Austin! It was tough, we lost several houses that we put offers on. Our realtor helped make this deal happen by offering to take a lower commission. I know that normally realtors don’t receive gifts from clients, but I’m wondering if we should give something in this situation? I was considering flowers or something, or is that weird??
I expect a small thank you gift (less then $50) from any agent that is part of me buying or selling.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:03 PM

37,847 posts, read 65,744,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I expect a small thank you gift (less then $50) from any agent that is part of me buying or selling.
I would never "expect" a "gift."
"Expect" makes it sound dirty, like "kickback."

Best "gift" I've received from a client was a few months after closing when they sent me a nice photo of their newborn twins.
Lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate