U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 535,756 times

Advertisements

Why are you putting this much energy into this matter. Work on your house. You have already notified the realtor, and you even called the MLS people.

Really, let it go. Must you get involved in everything that doesn't involve you? Wow. Asking what to do next? This isn't a problem you need to solve.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

9,955 posts, read 19,551,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Why are you putting this much energy into this matter. Work on your house. You have already notified the realtor, and you even called the MLS people.

Really, let it go. Must you get involved in everything that doesn't involve you? Wow. Asking what to do next? This isn't a problem you need to solve.
I disagree. It needs to be resolved. This aggression will not stand, man.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

7,122 posts, read 8,011,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
No, they do not. I'm actually starting a new email group for us so we can talk about things like this. It's going to take some time to get everyone. I'm not sure if they'll be thankful, to possibly be getting a refund on taxes, or pissed that now they have a decision to make that could decrease the value of their home.

There is now a sold sign in front of that house with another realtor's name who I'm assuming is the buyer's realtor - her website she lists other parts of the city as her areas of experience. I texted her last night but have not heard back.
Again, the Realtor has done nothing wrong. Is she supposed to just take your word over a gov't agency? What if I call her and say, "Hey, I think this house is really 5000 square feet, so you need to change your listing,"? Because that's kind of what you're doing. Should she change it to say, "XXXX square feet per the neighbor down the street"?

As far as getting the information correct for taxes, that's usually a pretty easy process if you have documentation. Just submit it to them. You're not going to get a refund for any taxes already paid, however.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

4,699 posts, read 7,549,535 times
I think the OP should only worry about how their house is listed (sq ft assessment) with their local municipality and not worry about the other homes. In this case, that would be "None-yo-bizness"

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

3,484 posts, read 1,294,212 times
Mods, request that the OP's name be changed to "Mrs. Kravitz."

LOL

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

14,392 posts, read 7,286,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
When the appraiser measures it will be correct. Most mls's have a place for sf and source (owner, Central appraisal district, tax records, builder, appraiser, etc. In tx we have disclosures or notices to buyers that state if sf is an issue to buyer, they recommend hiring someone to measure (like an appraiser.)
If you are worried about your house, get it measured, then correct with tax office. If its on someone elses house, then not sure why you are inserting yourself.
Exactly, when I purchased my house all the numbers were way off including the number of bedrooms, LOL. Of course I knew this because I saw the house. The listing had my house at 960sq ft and 4 bedrooms. Reality is that it was 1560 sq ft and 3 bedrooms.
Of course the appraisal and home inspection had the numbers correct. I don't know how these very obvious mistakes happen except the listing agent was probably too lazy to check out the details and make corrections.

I don't know why the OP would be so concerned about it.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

4,699 posts, read 7,549,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
the listing agent was probably too lazy to check out the details and make corrections.
Realtors are not home inspectors nor appraisers, their job is to help their clients buy and sell homes. It has been made abundantly clear already where they get their square footage measurements. That is not what they are hired/trained to do, nor should they be expected to do so. Some Realtors may do so on select properties, but it is not the norm.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

14,392 posts, read 7,286,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Realtors are not home inspectors nor appraisers, their job is to help their clients buy and sell homes. It has been made abundantly clear already where they get their square footage measurements. That is not what they are hired/trained to do, nor should they be expected to do so. Some Realtors may do so on select properties, but it is not the norm.
Don't they look at the house when listing it? Don't they check the on line listing to see if the description is ridiculously and obviously wrong? Who writes up the listing for all to see if not the selling agent?
If they can't tell the difference between a 960 sq ft house and a 1560 square ft house and can't see there are only 3 bedrooms not 4, then maybe they're in the wrong business.
This all very much affects the listing price of the house doesn't it and how people looking for homes online determine if they might be interested in looking at the house in person, no?
You don't need to be a home inspector to see something so obviously wrong with a listing.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

81 posts, read 218,963 times
Sorry, but I do not think it's ok for the realtor to ignore the two pieces of strong evidence I sent to her indicating the square footage was incorrect and then do nothing about it except actually change the record of the sale from 5 years ago to increase that square footage. It's also not ok that the actual owners of the house did not correct it when they know darn well that the house they bought 5 years ago was not 4220 square feet. Did the house grow? It is also not ok to allow the buyer to pay for more house than they're actually getting. Not looking into the matter, after I sent them the evidence, is super shady. The right thing to do would be to hire an appraiser at that point, correct the data in the current listing and allow the buyer to back out. If the buyer does not mind overpaying, fine, but they should know what they're getting. We're talking about quite a bit of extra money they are paying per square foot. Hope you guys don't find yourselves on the other end of that situation some day with greedy realtors happy to defraud you.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

2,465 posts, read 969,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Sorry, but I do not think it's ok for the realtor to ignore the two pieces of strong evidence I sent to her indicating the square footage was incorrect and then do nothing about it except actually change the record of the sale from 5 years ago to increase that square footage. It's also not ok that the actual owners of the house did not correct it when they know darn well that the house they bought 5 years ago was not 4220 square feet. Did the house grow? It is also not ok to allow the buyer to pay for more house than they're actually getting. Not looking into the matter, after I sent them the evidence, is super shady. The right thing to do would be to hire an appraiser at that point, correct the data in the current listing and allow the buyer to back out. If the buyer does not mind overpaying, fine, but they should know what they're getting. We're talking about quite a bit of extra money they are paying per square foot. Hope you guys don't find yourselves on the other end of that situation some day with greedy realtors happy to defraud you.

yada yada yada.

No one is overpaying if they have seen the house. They are not "paying for more house than they are getting". They are paying for exactly what they saw and inspected. People don't buy houses by the square foot. They buy rooms and a lifestyle.

I couldn't even tell you exactly how many square feet are in my house. I know approximately. I looked at the rooms and they seemed ok - large enough for what I needed. Unless and until flooring is being put down, exact measurements are really not needed.

Gee, did you carefully measure the plot of land? You may be getting cheated there also.

Here's to truth, justice, and the American Way!! Maybe you can make a citizen's arrest if you are so convinced a crime of the highest order has been committed.

Good luck in your quest for justice for the toiling people who have been abused by the real estate agents, local town officials, and a conspiracy of homeowners.
Attached Thumbnails
Square footage incorrect on house for sale down the street-oip.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate