U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,700 posts, read 7,549,535 times
Reputation: 4874

Advertisements

Realtors are not certified to do such measurements and could be held legally liable for doing so unless they were trained and required to do so. At best, they can estimate square footage based on opinion. It is not in any Realtor's best interest to defraud anyone.

You are mistaken and I am done trying to explain any differently. Have a good day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,280 posts, read 535,756 times
Reputation: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I disagree. It needs to be resolved. This aggression will not stand, man.
The OP is not selling this house herself. It is not her house, and she has no ties to it. It's not her business.

It is just a house down the street for sale - and she is worried about the actual square feet of it, on a house she is not buying or selling. And, the govt has a square footage listed. If it is wrong, it's not her problem.

What aggression, man?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,280 posts, read 535,756 times
Reputation: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Sorry, but I do not think it's ok for the realtor to ignore the two pieces of strong evidence I sent to her indicating the square footage was incorrect and then do nothing about it except actually change the record of the sale from 5 years ago to increase that square footage. It's also not ok that the actual owners of the house did not correct it when they know darn well that the house they bought 5 years ago was not 4220 square feet. Did the house grow? It is also not ok to allow the buyer to pay for more house than they're actually getting. Not looking into the matter, after I sent them the evidence, is super shady. The right thing to do would be to hire an appraiser at that point, correct the data in the current listing and allow the buyer to back out. If the buyer does not mind overpaying, fine, but they should know what they're getting. We're talking about quite a bit of extra money they are paying per square foot. Hope you guys don't find yourselves on the other end of that situation some day with greedy realtors happy to defraud you.
Who is going to pay for the appraiser? You are not...

You know what the real estate agent probably thinks? They probably think they know the square footage of the house. It is listed on the tax roles. And, some lady in the neighborhood is harassing he/she with comments over and over that something is off. As far as they are concerned - they have records that show what the square footage is.

And, then there is this lady who is bothering them. Over and over. To them - this woman (you) has nothing to do with the seller or the buyer. They (the agent) just wants to sell the house.

But someone with WAY too much time likes to get involved in matters that have nothing to do with them. As far as they know, some crazy lady is bugging them. They should just take your word for it? They should spend $500+ for another appraiser because someone down the street is bothering many people connected to real estate over a matter that has nothing to do with them.

Why should they spend that money? Because someone down the street says they should?

If you were selling a house... Maybe to move out of state, maybe to buy another house... Whatever. How would you feel if some nosey neighbor started bugging you and your agent and the MLS guy - claiming that you are wrong on your square footage. Be honest? Would you rush and pay several hundred dollars for an appraisal? All because some woman down the street says so?

I previously had a home that had the same model a few houses down. EXCEPT - their dining room was a few feet smaller. An outside corner was put in a different place. It was maybe 10 square feet less than my home. Anyone looking at it wouldn't notice the difference unless they looked at both homes.

You have no idea if some minor change was done to increase or decrease the square footage.

Also, my builder claimed one number for my square footage to my house. But, the local appraisal district came and measured the outside after I added a screen porch. And, because I got a building permit, they knew about it...

And, they tried to tax me as if it was an air conditioned addition instead of a screen porch. They had to come out and look at it. They also re-measured the outside of my home. Their decision of my square footage was 40 sq feet smaller than what the builder claimed the house was. But, who cares... It was 40 sq feet less to pay taxes on.

My ex wife has the house now - but if she sells it, she is going to put the square footage that the builder claims. However, if she decides to go with the number that the tax rolls claims... So what... Why should some woman who lives down the street come and scramble all of that up because they know better.... (or they think they do...)

Really, you don't know what you are talking about, you are causing so much grief for people, and this doesn't concern you.

Let it go...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
 
516 posts, read 496,773 times
Reputation: 1375
If I was the buyer, I would do anything necessary to get out of the contract. Not because of any sf difference, but because I would not want a neighbor who would put that much time and effort into someone else's business!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
 
81 posts, read 218,963 times
Reputation: 39
Wrong. When we bought our house, we had a choice, a 3975 square foot house for $x, or a 4220 square foot house for $x + 4 years of college tuition. Absolutely priced per square foot. Walking through the house, it wouldn't feel much different, but they were sure priced different. 3975 was quite enough square feet for us so we went for that one. The house being sold down the street is going for way more than any of the other houses that have sold in the last 5 years.

If you don't care about this matter or care to be helpful, no need to weigh in on this thread. Go troll elsewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,280 posts, read 535,756 times
Reputation: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
.

If you don't care about this matter or care to be helpful, no need to weigh in on this thread. Go troll elsewhere.
Be helpful? You just want people to post who will justify your intrusion into other people's lives.

Several people here has said you should stay out of it. It does not concern you.

I am not trolling... I have been polite and I disagree with your actions.

I do feel sorry for one person, though...Your husband...

Anyway, this is my last comment on this thread.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
 
4,309 posts, read 4,273,666 times
Reputation: 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Wrong. When we bought our house, we had a choice, a 3975 square foot house for $x, or a 4220 square foot house for $x + 4 years of college tuition. Absolutely priced per square foot. Walking through the house, it wouldn't feel much different, but they were sure priced different. 3975 was quite enough square feet for us so we went for that one. The house being sold down the street is going for way more than any of the other houses that have sold in the last 5 years.

You should be happy about the house selling over the others. It makes yours more valuable when you go to sell. The price reflects the value of neighborhood, property and house functionality. I think it is silly to price houses by dollars per sq ft. That is okay for mass produced items like bologna but each house is unique, even when built originally to the same plan.


Quote:
If you don't care about this matter or care to be helpful, no need to weigh in on this thread. Go troll elsewhere.

with all due respect wouldn't you say that is what the seller and agent are telling you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,700 posts, read 7,549,535 times
Reputation: 4874
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Go troll elsewhere.
Pot, meet keddle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
 
7,122 posts, read 8,011,904 times
Reputation: 12637
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Sorry, but I do not think it's ok for the realtor to ignore the two pieces of strong evidence I sent to her indicating the square footage was incorrect and then do nothing about it except actually change the record of the sale from 5 years ago to increase that square footage. It's also not ok that the actual owners of the house did not correct it when they know darn well that the house they bought 5 years ago was not 4220 square feet. Did the house grow? It is also not ok to allow the buyer to pay for more house than they're actually getting. Not looking into the matter, after I sent them the evidence, is super shady. The right thing to do would be to hire an appraiser at that point, correct the data in the current listing and allow the buyer to back out. If the buyer does not mind overpaying, fine, but they should know what they're getting. We're talking about quite a bit of extra money they are paying per square foot. Hope you guys don't find yourselves on the other end of that situation some day with greedy realtors happy to defraud you.
How do you know your information is correct and the others are not? You don't know what the current owners know or don't know. Buyers see the house. They know how big it is. I've been in 2000 square foot houses that felt bigger than 3000 square foot houses. If someone walked through the house and it was too small for them, they wouldn't make an offer. Buying a house is not like buying lunchmeat. It's not just a certain price per pound (or square foot). That's why two of the exact same house can sell for different prices. If someone who actually saw the house thought it was worth that much, then that's what's it's worth by definition. If they plan on financing it or insuring it, they're going to have to get an appraisal. BTW, our appraiser said our house was bigger than the builder did. Should I mount a campaign to tell the builder how deceptive they are? Like I said, it's not an exact science. You are so far out of your lane it's ridiculous. The Realtor is doing absolutely nothing wrong or fraudulent. They are using the OFFICIAL recorded square footage, for goodness' sake. I honestly think having such an absurdly nosy neighbor has a much more negative affect on the value than the square footage issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
 
7,122 posts, read 8,011,904 times
Reputation: 12637
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Wrong. When we bought our house, we had a choice, a 3975 square foot house for $x, or a 4220 square foot house for $x + 4 years of college tuition. Absolutely priced per square foot. Walking through the house, it wouldn't feel much different, but they were sure priced different. 3975 was quite enough square feet for us so we went for that one. The house being sold down the street is going for way more than any of the other houses that have sold in the last 5 years.

If you don't care about this matter or care to be helpful, no need to weigh in on this thread. Go troll elsewhere.
And like I said earlier, I have three "official" square footages of my house - the builder has one, the appraisal (taxing) district has a different one, and an appraiser came up with yet a different one. And the highest and lowest are a bigger difference than the 245 square foot you are so horrified by. Since you're such an expert, you tell me which one is right. BTW, we haven't made any changes to the house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top