U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:59 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,498,119 times

Advertisements

Wow. As someone who recently sold their house, I would be incredibly pissed if a neighbor decided to inject themselves into my affairs, even going so far as to call the realtors, brokers, MLS and county, and muddle my transaction.

OP, petition to adjust your sq footage if you like, but stop screwing with other people's lives. Seriously.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 02:08 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,572,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Sorry, but I do not think it's ok for the realtor to ignore the two pieces of strong evidence I sent to her indicating the square footage was incorrect and then do nothing about it except actually change the record of the sale from 5 years ago to increase that square footage. It's also not ok that the actual owners of the house did not correct it when they know darn well that the house they bought 5 years ago was not 4220 square feet. Did the house grow? It is also not ok to allow the buyer to pay for more house than they're actually getting. Not looking into the matter, after I sent them the evidence, is super shady. The right thing to do would be to hire an appraiser at that point, correct the data in the current listing and allow the buyer to back out. If the buyer does not mind overpaying, fine, but they should know what they're getting. We're talking about quite a bit of extra money they are paying per square foot. Hope you guys don't find yourselves on the other end of that situation some day with greedy realtors happy to defraud you.
If they (the buyer) are concerned with sf, they will get it appraised, and the appraiser measures. If they opt not to do that, then they obviously feel the value to the house is there. Mind your own business.
Its not up to realtors to get appraisals done. Thats up to the lender (or buyer on cash deals).
We realtors certainly can't change sf on a listing because neighbor said so.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:20 AM

5,445 posts, read 2,264,900 times
Property Tax records are full of minor errors. One of my houses was listed as having zero bedrooms. And cost per square foot is not a linear function.

So, OP just needs to follow the advice of so many other posters and MYOB.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 05-13-2021 at 03:32 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 06:37 AM

3,578 posts, read 1,286,561 times
I agree with 'staying in your own lane.' If your SQFTage is incorrect, fix yours.
Contact the owner of the other house and have a brief conversation about your observations, but otherwise, MYOB. His error is not your problem.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:49 AM

2,493 posts, read 980,195 times
Quote:
Wrong. When we bought our house, we had a choice, a 3975 square foot house for $x, or a 4220 square foot house for $x + 4 years of college tuition. Absolutely priced per square foot. Walking through the house, it wouldn't feel much different, but they were sure priced different. 3975 was quite enough square feet for us so we went for that one. The house being sold down the street is going for way more than any of the other houses that have sold in the last 5 years.

If you don't care about this matter or care to be helpful, no need to weigh in on this thread. Go troll elsewhere.

1. No - the house is priced in total, including finishes and then the total price is divided by the squared footage to determine an approximate cost per square foot.

2. House selling higher? Well, duh! Have you heard the news that this is a seller's market, especially in Westchester and other NYC suburbs? "Strong demand has led to a 46% increase in pending Westchester County sales, year-over-year for Q4 and, as a result, inventory has shrunk a full 27%. In total, Westchester saw a 13.6% increase in the number of homes sold, with a median sale price up 12.4%." Yes - definitely ask for your house to be re-evaluated using current market conditions.

https://westchestermagazine.com/home...e/2021-market/

Keep fighting for your honor and for your je n’en sais rien. C’est un mystère! Qui est le troll?

Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 AM

2,493 posts, read 980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Property Tax records are full of minor errors. One of my houses was listed as having zero bedrooms. And cost per square foot is not a linear function.

So, OP just needs to follow the advice of so many other posters and MYOB.

People on a holy mission rarely listen to rational suggestions.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 AM

9,957 posts, read 19,558,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
The OP is not selling this house herself. It is not her house, and she has no ties to it. It's not her business.

It is just a house down the street for sale - and she is worried about the actual square feet of it, on a house she is not buying or selling. And, the govt has a square footage listed. If it is wrong, it's not her problem.

What aggression, man?
It's really about the rug. That rug really tied the room together, man.

The Dude abides.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:28 AM

9,957 posts, read 19,558,125 times
Quote:
Wrong. When we bought our house, we had a choice, a 3975 square foot house for $x, or a 4220 square foot house for $x + 4 years of college tuition. Absolutely priced per square foot. Walking through the house, it wouldn't feel much different, but they were sure priced different. 3975 was quite enough square feet for us so we went for that one. The house being sold down the street is going for way more than any of the other houses that have sold in the last 5 years.

If you don't care about this matter or care to be helpful, no need to weigh in on this thread. Go troll elsewhere.
There are checks and balances. It's called the appraiser. If the appraiser determines the home is worth less because of the SF difference, if you are indeed correct, it will come up then.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:55 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,263,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Get your own square footage corrected if you believe it's wrong and quit meddling in someone else's life without being asked.

Exactly. Worry about getting the sq. footage of your own property in order.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:24 AM

3,112 posts, read 1,255,532 times
I've lived in five different houses over the last 30+ years. What sold me on every house was the landscaping, number of bathrooms and kitchens. The square footage wasn't all that important.

Between two houses, one with four hundred square feet more or one with a nice garden, the nice garden would always win.

Not everyone has the same priorities. The woman who brought my last house, ripped up my beloved native plant garden. Fifteen years later, it still makes me sad.

What a house is worth is a combination of emotion and facts. It's usually the emotions that win. It isn't that facts aren't important, facts aren't everything.

The buyers of your neighbor's house don't care about square footage as much as the house's other features.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 05-13-2021 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate