U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 12:26 PM

11,033 posts, read 12,543,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
yada yada yada.

No one is overpaying if they have seen the house. They are not "paying for more house than they are getting". They are paying for exactly what they saw and inspected. People don't buy houses by the square foot. They buy rooms and a lifestyle.

I couldn't even tell you exactly how many square feet are in my house. I know approximately. I looked at the rooms and they seemed ok - large enough for what I needed. Unless and until flooring is being put down, exact measurements are really not needed.

Gee, did you carefully measure the plot of land? You may be getting cheated there also.

Here's to truth, justice, and the American Way!! Maybe you can make a citizen's arrest if you are so convinced a crime of the highest order has been committed.

Good luck in your quest for justice for the toiling people who have been abused by the real estate agents, local town officials, and a conspiracy of homeowners.
https://youtu.be/9efgLHgsBmM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 07:32 PM

518 posts, read 497,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
I don't now if some of you didn't bother reading my posts, or you're projecting because you don't want to be caught in your own nefarious business. The street has 2 floorplans. Four of the houses were sold 5 years ago with 3875 sq ft, the rest 4220 and 4130. The entire house is finished including the basement so there was no adding on square footage. The lots are postage stamps. An appraisal does not happen automatically for a sale, nor do I believe an appraiser automatically measures the house. The numbers in the county database are incorrect. I do plan on telling the other neighbors, if for no other reason, because they have 3 years of tax refund coming back to them, if they wish. As for the new owners of the house just sold, I'll tell them too and maybe they'll be kinda pissed that nobody told them before the sale went through when they knew there was this mistake. Yes, the realtor has her ass covered legally but her integrity is in the toilet.

Also, nobody has answered my question about how the data in a sold listing from 5 years ago can be altered. This is what I'm most curious about at this point. I told the realtor about the square footage goof and then she, or someone, changed the square footage on the original listing, not the current listing. Any realtors out there care to weigh in? Have you seen this happen before?

You are basing all your indignation on the developer floor plans. I have done 1000s of appraisals on new homes. Sometimes, the sf matches the developer and sometimes it's 100's sf smaller or bigger. In one development, two other appraisers, and I measured numerous homes and we all came in about 300sf larger than what the builder advertised. Have you even measured your house?

If the buyers of the other house are getting a mortgage, chances are an appraiser will measure the house and get the correct square footage. It is an appraiser's job to measure every home. If they are paying cash, and choose not to get an appraisal or actually measure the home, then they have failed to perform their due diligence and it is on them.

As for an old listing being changed. I seriously doubt it. Realtors can only modify their own listings, they do not have access to change another agent's listing. And, in my area, once a sale is closed, the listing agent can no longer alter data. In the event a serious error is discovered, after it has closed, any change must be done by the local board of Realtors.

You question the agent's integrity. You want her to take gossip from some neighbor as fact and disregard what is in the official public records. Until you physically measure the other house and have facts to support your claim, it is all just hearsay. Shame on you.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:15 AM

7,131 posts, read 8,024,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So many special snowflakes today want to price homes by $/sq foot.
A misrepresented total (intentional or not) distorts the selling process and even the market.
This will show up especially when a neighbor uses the CORRECT number.

The so called pro's in the business know all this and why/how THAT agent came up with their number.
Promoting clarity and consistency really isn't in their interest.
But as I mentioned several times, square footage is NOT an exact science. For my own house, the builder has one square footage, the county has another square footage, and an appraiser came up with yet another square footage. Which one is the CORRECT number? No one is being deceptive. There is a certain margin of error, and the house in question that the OP is so worried about falls within that margin.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 19,563,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Set up a lemonade stand to go with your righteous indignation. ...
You know what they say about Lemons? When life gives you lemons, go buy some vodka to mix with them.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:04 PM

36,219 posts, read 65,760,556 times
This thread just keeps getting better and better ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
I don't now if some of you didn't bother reading my posts, or you're projecting because you don't want to be caught in your own nefarious business.
Well, alrighty then!

Quote:
The street has 2 floorplans. Four of the houses were sold 5 years ago with 3875 sq ft, the rest 4220 and 4130.
There's more than one way to arrive at the square footage of a house. You're acting like this is some huge conspiracy to steal money from property owners.

Pay attention to your own house; mind your own business and not your neighbors' business.

By any chance do you live in an HOA neighborhood ...

Old 05-14-2021, 04:29 PM

478 posts, read 800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I disagree. It needs to be resolved. This aggression will not stand, man.

The Dude Abides

Old 05-14-2021, 09:48 PM

25 posts, read 1,297 times
FWIW-During my earnings years, up to the present, have owned property and dwellings in 3 states and holding Real Estate License + many college credit hours in the area of Real Property.

In some form or fashion, in each and every state, taxes are based on the size (Square footage) of the dwelling, and the size of the lot it is on using either the "metes ,bounds (and meanders in some states)"and "Lot and Block (Plat number) in which the size is determined from the get go. Final responsibility as to size is upon county assessor. If the numbers are inaccurate, just make sure it not your property that is being overcharged. The various Counties have NO interest in their income being reduced and therefore not that interested in reducing county funds.
Realtors wisely stay out of this argument by making a mark as to square footage (If not stating in the listing) "more or less" "~" <that thingy and punt to county assessor for accuracy.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:26 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,320,581 times
And THIS is why, HOA board members must be vetted....

Old 05-15-2021, 07:12 AM

4,707 posts, read 7,560,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I am not certain what this comment has to do with the current discussion.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:06 AM

12,702 posts, read 9,250,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
This is why I'll never buy in an HOA ever again!

Even if this lady isn't in one, imagine if she was (and in charge)? Way too much of a risk for me.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate