Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 07:05 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Most sensible people will hold a neighbor type fence back from their line (eg @6" to 12").
The extra foot he sacrificed is also sacrificed to that same good intention.

He may have just volunteered to give you some land. See a lawyer.
Even if he (or a later owner) removed the fence at some future point
I suspect that the LAND might/should still be yours.
I think you have it backwards. What difference does it make if I put a fence on my land that looks like a corn maze, runs down the middle, three feet inside the line, or right at the line? Only difference that I can see here is that cost of construction was shared and the idea was a fence of mutual benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 07:32 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What state is the OP in? He should be careful about taking advice.

I think no matter what state, it's never going to be a bad thing for him to have a neighboring fence entirely on the neighbor's property. As long as he doesn't start relying on needing that two feet of corner, it's of no consequence.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:04 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
At the house where I grew up, we had a neighbor who poured concrete over the property line about 8 inches. They added another parking spot to the right of their driveway. I don't think they said anything to my folks at all. They just did it and there was no discussion about it. They did put a basketball goal up and we shot baskets there quite a bit. They lived there over 40 years. Years later, we sold the house and I don't remember that the property line was an issue at all. The house sold right away.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:17 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
As long as the neighbor is fine with leaving the fence where it is, and as long as you realize that the neighbor could move it at any time, I don't see a problem with leaving it where it is. It would be a bit different if you were the one who had lost the use of some property.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post

Where I live before putting up a fence you have to get a permit which requires at least a sketch diagram showing where the fence is in relation to marked property lines (every property I know of here except some very old ones in our town have pipes or rebar at the corners). I can't imagine putting up a fence without knowing where the property line is.
My municipality does issue fence permits, but we are not surveyors. We accept the survey as fact, like any other third party inspection or certification. Same goes for the plot plan, where you sketch the fencing along the property lines and we accept that as true. The inspector isn't taking out his tape measure or wheel to verify dimensions.

Sounds like the neighbor is getting everybody on the same page regarding the properties. Even if you decide not to do anything now, I would seriously consider having the fence relocated to reflect the actual property boundaries in the case that either of you decide to sell.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:45 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think no matter what state, it's never going to be a bad thing for him to have a neighboring fence entirely on the neighbor's property. As long as he doesn't start relying on needing that two feet of corner, it's of no consequence.

Well, yeah.
But, your note about survey and "a grievance with the city/county?"
That is what prompted the question. Such a notion would be irrelevant in a great many areas.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:48 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Fences are evidence of occupation. Nothing more and nothing less.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:36 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, yeah.
But, your note about survey and "a grievance with the city/county?"
That is what prompted the question. Such a notion would be irrelevant in a great many areas.
It’s just a note about not putting anything in the title report reflecting this issue that would cause drama during a sale later. I can’t imagine why either party would do that but you never know :-)

Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Have a fence agreement executed that says that the property boundaries are not changed by the position of the fence. The fence is not intended to provide information about the property line. Also, neighbor is granting temporary use of the property between the fence and the property line to the OP.

Because of trees and other natural "wonders", I couldn't install my fence on the property line, but rather inside on my property. I had a lawyer draft the fence agreement, had my neighbor agree to it and then had it filed with the land records of the town. It became part of the title definitions and transferred to all new buyers of either property. It also stopped adverse possession of the property by the neighbor or subsequent buyer.

I sold the property without any problem. The fence agreement made it easier to sell because everyone knew at the beginning where the actual property was.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:44 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Have a fence agreement executed that says that the property boundaries are not changed by the position of the fence. The fence is not intended to provide information about the property line. Also, neighbor is granting temporary use of the property between the fence and the property line to the OP.

Because of trees and other natural "wonders", I couldn't install my fence on the property line, but rather inside on my property. I had a lawyer draft the fence agreement, had my neighbor agree to it and then had it filed with the land records of the town. It became part of the title definitions and transferred to all new buyers of either property. It also stopped adverse possession of the property by the neighbor or subsequent buyer.

I sold the property without any problem. The fence agreement made it easier to sell because everyone knew at the beginning where the actual property was.
I still don't understand how a fence inside a property line means anything at all. I the concern comes when MY fence enroaches on the neighbor's yard. And maybe that's where the question is; it isn't understood whose fence it actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate