U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 05:33 PM

3,640 posts, read 1,909,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not a suggestion.
A question. Since all the service to the garage is currently the neighbor's, who is responsible for damage due to a fire from an electrical issue?

Now you have phrased the question differently. The person responsible for the damage is the person whose negligence caused it. Without negligence, no one is responsible and each insurance company pays its share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I guess I'd want to have a talk with my insurance agent to see if they would even cover a jointly owned structure, regardless of electrical hookup.

It's an unusual circumstance, for sure.

Not at all unusual. Townhouses and condos are insured that way all the time. Dividing coverage on the garage wouldn't be unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I would think it's no different than a falling tree. Absent negligence, my insurance pays for my stuff, you for yours.

The jointly owned structure isn't that big of a deal, it's not different than a townhouse. Actually, it is a townhouse most likely.

Correct on both counts. A duplex is treated similarly to a townhouse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 09:41 AM

14,831 posts, read 36,131,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
That could be. They said detached garage, I've been having a hard time picturing that.
In our old neighborhoods here we have a handful of homes that have a shared detached two-car garage that sits on both the properties and the property line runs through the middle of the garage. I assumed that is what was happening with the OP. They were put in in the '50s on narrower lots where clearly the neighbors liked either other and didn't think anything of the arrangement. They each run power to their own side though.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:53 AM

37,824 posts, read 65,676,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
In our old neighborhoods here we have a handful of homes that have a shared detached two-car garage that sits on both the properties and the property line runs through the middle of the garage. I assumed that is what was happening with the OP. They were put in in the '50s on narrower lots where clearly the neighbors liked either other and didn't think anything of the arrangement. They each run power to their own side though.
We have this arrangement in some homes built recently.

Coincidentally, I just showed one yesterday that was built in 2001. 2 car garage split by the property line and shared by the houses on either side. Shared driveway.

Buyer decided against the house in minutes, and I didn't even view the garage. Now I am curious how it is finished off.

Old 05-15-2021, 04:34 PM

14,831 posts, read 36,131,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We have this arrangement in some homes built recently.

Coincidentally, I just showed one yesterday that was built in 2001. 2 car garage split by the property line and shared by the houses on either side. Shared driveway.

Buyer decided against the house in minutes, and I didn't even view the garage. Now I am curious how it is finished off.
Interesting. It is such a turnoff to most buyers here so it is interesting that they are building it that way. Everyone is afraid that the neighbor will be totally unreasonable and they will be in garage hell.

Old Today, 01:00 PM

12,142 posts, read 10,476,316 times
To the OP. While no electrician, I assume you have a breaker panel inside you home. Power to your garage would be run from this panel so not as difficult job as you might imagine. Call an electrician for an estimate.

Old Today, 01:14 PM

12,142 posts, read 10,476,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
In a four unit townhouse building I lived there were two side by side garages (one roof over both making it look like a two car garage) on each end thus 4 garages, one per unit. While the garages were part of the structure, there was no access to ones unit from ones garage thus one could say the garages were detached. The only access to a garage was via the garage door.

Insurance companies are quite familiar with building like this and other arrangements thus no issues insuring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate