Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 10:52 PM

577 posts, read 662,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Realtor here. How are you going to get an appraiser into the house? What happens if there is a delay in underwriting?

There are companies that will buy the house of your choice for cash and sell it back to you a week later.
I frequently do appraisals on homes with a cash contract. Never had a problem getting into a house. Sometimes the mortgage comes through in time for closing, sometimes it turns into a refinance a few days or weeks later.

It is a common occurrence in certain subsets in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 11:46 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2pit View Post
LOL. Well that's just a BIT harsh, don't you think?

My morals are just fine. What does the seller care where the money comes from? If I can't arrange the mortgage, then I'd pay cash. I'm failing to see how cash from a mortgage bank would be any different than cash from my brokerage to the seller at close. If you want to explain that to me instead of making a ridiculous accusation about my character, I'd love to hear WHY it would make a difference.

I'm not asking the question to "justify" myself, I'm genuinely interested in understanding why this would make a difference if all the risk was on me. Hell, I'd be willing to put it in the contract stating exactly what I intended to do. Seller gets all the benefits and none of the risk.

So do you want to be a little less of a jerk and make a thoughtful response?
His/her response is fine. It's a BS move by you. And obviously if you have to liquidate, maybe a cash offer isn't best? I get trying to work the system but I can't stand people who are deceptive. If it's a cash offer, have the cash ready. Don't go to closing and say "on second thought, I think I'll finance, can I has a few days?" Next please.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:44 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,008,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
His/her response is fine. It's a BS move by you. And obviously if you have to liquidate, maybe a cash offer isn't best? I get trying to work the system but I can't stand people who are deceptive. If it's a cash offer, have the cash ready. Don't go to closing and say "on second thought, I think I'll finance, can I has a few days?" Next please.
How is the OP being deceptive? He asked how it would be best to include it in the contact as well.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:32 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
This is NOT a "creative financing" question and issue.
It is a contract and integrity issue. OP has the right idea to include contract language that will clarify intent and make a guarantee to close on time.

And, it should be easily resolved with clear language, perhaps an addendum.
AND, with huge nonrefundable money paid to seller at time of contract.

$700,000 contract price.
$100,000-$200,000 non-refundable money directly to the seller. First though, check on the mortgage balance, so the seller can invest that 100 grand in sleek cars, long cigars, fine liquor and fast "company," and still pay off any mortgage balance.

Additionally,
Seller to do no repairs after inspections.
Buyer will pay contract price in full, regardless of appraisal opinion.
Guaranteed to close on time. Will close with a cash purchase if the lender delays, even one day.
Seller may retain possession for a week, two weeks, a month post-closing, if that is desirable to them.

Any or all of that language to be included in an attorney-drafted addendum to any standard contract you are using.
And, don't fully expect to win the day in multiple offer situations. Simple is often better than complex in competitive situations.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:11 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,601,078 times
I don’t see how a contract that is more complicated than usual, with special financing contingencies will make your offer more attractive. A straight cash offer will still beat your offer.

If there is no language in the contract to make explicit your intent to try and get a mortgage at the last minute and change the financing, then I think you just increase your risk of losing your deposit.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:47 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I guess the one question for OP is, how fast can you liquidate the investments? If the loan seems fine but then the day before closing there’s a delay, would you be able to get the cash in time to close?

Old 05-16-2021, 07:11 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I guess the one question for OP is, how fast can you liquidate the investments? If the loan seems fine but then the day before closing there’s a delay, would you be able to get the cash in time to close?

Yup.
Of course, that should be easily confirmed, but certainly prior to contract and setting a closing date.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 AM

6,535 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I just sold a house that got 15 offers on in 48 hours. I will tell you the one I picked was 52K over asking, cash offer, close in three weeks. If you want the house, go bold.
Did you have $50k and $51k over asking offers?

Old 05-16-2021, 07:29 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I sold my last place to a cash buyer. No appraisal, and he waived a professional inspection as well, and of course waived any financing contingency. We closed in 2 weeks from the signed contract. It would be impossible to do that if you tried to substitute in a mortgage instead of the cash. Of course in my case, he actually had the cash on hand, not in investments, as he provided proof of funds with the offer, which a cash buyer is expected to do. So all in all, it's unlikely you would get through an offer that you were claiming was cash when in reality, it wasn't.
The last house I sold (last year) was to a couple on a CASH deal. They told me going into it that they hoped to sell their house quickly, but that it wasn't on the market yet. They also said that they could close anyway even if their house didn't sell quickly by liquidating some liquid assets.

I told them that was fine with me since I required 10% in CASH as earnest money and if they didn't close on time they would forfeit their earnest money... and had specific enforceable language to this effect in the contract. When they said "OK" and wrote a check for the 10%, I felt pretty comfortable and assured that the deal would close. If it didn't, I would have their 10% earnest money to keep and still have ownership of my house. The deal closed on time.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:28 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2pit View Post
Yeah, there are far more financially creative people than me so I assume this (simple) idea has been pursued before. And I totally agree, and I wouldn't expect that excuse to hold up.

My "back up" plan here would just be to pay cash, and then do a cash-out refi after the fact. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.

This is all theoretical by the way, to those assaulting my characters and threatening to fire me as a client lol. We made an offer with a mortgage contingency, I'm just thinking about how to make my offer better the next time.

Chas - thanks for your time and thoughts. Any resources you can suggest for me to learn more about my options?
I think the issue is you have the money now, but it is not cash in hand, and unless you have a lot more in equities than your bid, who is to say that the stock market doesn’t take a 5-10% correction the day you close? Will you have the money then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate