U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 07:26 AM

12,725 posts, read 7,006,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thanks! I just keep thinking there really isn’t a lot of stuff when you boil it down. What make it feel like a lot is all the furniture sets. When I was checking out EBay (not to sell there and ship but to see what was in demand), furniture just wasn’t selling. Even stuff much nicer than mine wasn’t selling or had just one bid. And I have no rare collectibles. At best, I have a set of eight Waterford Wine and water goblets. I’m thinking an estate sale might not be effective. If I donated to a charity like Habitat, I know it will be gone, it won’t cost me anything for it to be hauled away like it with the junk company, and I get the credit on my taxes. I do itemize so I would get the credit.

I think stuff like my small appliances (mixer, microwave, coffee maker) would sell. But it’s small enough that I can put that out at a garage sale and I don’t need an estate sale for that. Same with other tools and household wares and such. The women’s shelter might be a good place to unload the dishes and silverware and other household goods and such if no one buys it. (By the way, I use the term silverware to describe all flatware… it isn’t really silver I can sell for scrap).

All the extra dog stuff and old towels and blankets can go to the animal shelter. They are always asking for that stuff. I can’t unload any of that now because I’ve already paired myself down to just three sets of towels (not including hand towels for the bathroom sinks).
Maybe you're overthinking this? In the time you've spent posting, you could have sold or donated it all...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 08:12 AM

888 posts, read 357,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe you're overthinking this? In the time you've spent posting, you could have sold or donated it all...
Maybe. But I still need my furniture and pots and dishes now. I’m not selling my house for 11 months. I have time so why not ask and consider all options and ask people for advice? I wouldn’t have known about Habitat for Humanity wanting and taking furniture if I didn’t ask. And I didn’t think about women’s shelters for other household items. And now I don’t have to waste time this summer checking out estate sales (and estate sale companies) which is what I was considering at first.

I’m just the type who likes to set goals (in this case for the move) and have a plan well ahead of time. When I plan ahead with plenty of time to spare, things go smoothly. I hate the stress of last minute rushed.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:06 PM

16,140 posts, read 22,685,590 times
Estate sales are run by a company for a percentage of the money made. You would literally do nothing except allow them to stage and sell in your vacant home....So, if you didn't want to do a yard sale.....box the stuff and store in your basement, or garage.....and let an Estate Sale Co sell all of it, including what you intended to donate. There should be Estate Sale co in your area...google or phone book.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:27 PM

16,916 posts, read 28,388,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thanks! So garage sale for the smaller items (that I can actually drag out of the house) and maybe just donate all the furniture (or find a consignment place that can haul the furniture away)?

All I know is hiring a junk company to haul away a kitchen set, dining room set, family room set, office furniture, storage cabinets, and two bedroom sets will cost a small fortune. It would probably take up a whole truck.

I think, if nothing else, the Salvation Army might take all that furniture away for free. It's decent stuff, just not high end. Except the couch with is Ethan Allen.

The Salvation Army does not take painted wood furniture, or particle board molded plastic type of furniture.
We had the SA at my Moms when she died to get rid of the contents of the house, SA only took a few things, they give you a slip of paper for taxes.
We ended up throwing everything in a dumpster, as stated, no time, as we didn't either want to sell and have people come over. It was easier for us to give it to someone when they knew we were there, or the dumpster.

Most went to the dumpster

Old 05-24-2021, 11:15 AM

2,559 posts, read 1,209,926 times
There is a network of folks who clean out homes and then sell what they can and junk the rest. The term is "estate liquidator."

https://estatesales.org/what-is-an-estate-liquidator

Old 05-24-2021, 01:27 PM

7,539 posts, read 10,598,663 times
I've seen people list their furniture on Nextdoor. If it's in decent condition and a style that people like it'll get snatched up fairly quickly. We got a practically brand new, barely used dining room table with 6 chairs for way less than we would have paid for it in store. Since it was posted on Nextdoor, it was local and easy to pick up.

You could do the same thing with the little stuff. Post it for a good price and see if you have any takers.

You've got 11 months to get this all accomplished. Go through things and throw away anything not worth selling, donating or keeping as you go. That way, you won't have huge piles of trash at the curb for the trash trucks to haul away.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 AM

275 posts, read 159,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
photo of single items, put it on craigs list. price it to sell quickly.
state in the add that you will not help carry it, that it is cash only, and they need to bring helpers to carry large pieces out.

main thing is, price it to sell quickly. this makes it easy for you, no need to be greedy, and it saves you money in the end by not having to pay someone to haul it away. Typically once people realize you have (a) decent stuff, and (b) it is priced very low, they will walk out with way more stuff. They come for one piece and walk out with 4 or 5 pieces, and then they come back and get 10 or 12 more pieces. You don't even have to price it. When they see what you have and start pointing stuff out, you say "$100 for those 8 pieces" or something like that. They are thrilled and it is easy for you.

i have done this with moves, and people are so happy to get nice pieces, at what they feel is a great deal. they are always able to pay cash, and they always have helpers to carry it. when it is a good price, it goes right away.

this has only ever left me with a few pieces at most. i do one of two things. I put it on the curb with a big FREE sign taped to each piece, and it is gone within the weekend. Or I put it on Craigs list stating FREE and the street intersection"corner of James and 3rd."

One piece was very very hard for me to part with. I could not even bring myself to list it, it was a custom made beautiful wooden trestle table, and it carried a lot of emotional attachment. So I had the kids help me take it to the curb (i knew it would go instantly) taped a FREE sign on it, and took us all out to a nice meal. By the time we returned it was gone and I felt good about it. Someone somewhere is loving that table as much as i did, with the additional story I am sure they are telling "you are not going to believe we got this table for free, let me tell you how we found it"
I have been trying to sell this nice dresser, it's not antique or anything but good sturdy with only a few scratches on the top. I put in there have to bring movers to help get it out. So far no hits. I think I'll lower the price and let local friends know maybe one of them knows somebody who needs it. I have had mixed results with Craigslist. A little better with FB Marketplace. There is another app Offer Up I think it is called when we moved last time I used them but really hit and miss. I am thinking of selling my stamp collection and baseball cards on Ebay but it's been years since I have even used it. Like others have said it is a huge hassle and i don't have the patience for it.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:24 AM

33,354 posts, read 52,875,625 times
We just got our total from estate sale company
She said ALL our furniture sold and almost everything else

4 bedroom sets with armoires for television/storage
Breakfast and dining room set w hutch and buffet
Hickory mfg set of Office furniture
Leather sleeper sofa and two chairs w ottoman
Pool table
Small lamp tables and lamps
3 piece glass front curio/bookcase units
Freezer
Washer dryer set w/storage drawers
Lot of garage tools and stuff

Total was medium 5 figures
Lot sold presale for list price vs discount
75 people showed up for late opening @ 4 on Thursday before Memorial Day

So in some cases estate sales are worth doing
The people we used split 65-us/35 them and we left before they started pricing/organizing
Owners can’t really be there when they do that

Old 08-20-2021, 05:25 AM

493 posts, read 153,416 times
Facebook market place is the easiest way to sale the things you need to sale especially household items are easier to sell this way.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:52 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,924 posts, read 5,373,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
Facebook market place is the easiest way to sale the things you need to sale especially household items are easier to sell this way.
Facebook marketplace is a nightmare. You'll spend hours just responding to the "Is this still available?" click-throughs that hundreds of people will do without any response after that. And you'l deal with a lot of no-shows as well.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate