U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:26 AM

9,803 posts, read 6,577,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Garage sales are a waste of time. People won’t even buy quality items for a $1. We had one and only made like $50! Not worth all the work it involved! Lol

When we sold my parents home, we had 60 years worth of stuff! There were no Goodwills, etc in our small town. We decided that a 40 yard dumpster was our best option. Siblings took what the wanted, family heirlooms and sentimental items were kept and the rest went to the dump! We were done in one weekend.

What may not sell are tables and tables full of glassware and dishes.

Furniture, cabinets, lamps, and useful tools and stuff... will go like hotcakes if the price is right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,545 posts, read 1,654,490 times
I just downsized to move and sold almost everything in 2 days and made 750. I have helped friends do this and with a bunch of furniture you should make a few thousand. I let people in the house if there’s lots of furniture. My

830 posts, read 323,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Sell, donate, give to friends.
Whatever's left goes in the trash.
Consider hiring a construction dumpster instead of people with trucks.
Call around for prices. They deliver the dumpster and pick it up when full.

Good idea on the dumpster. I wonder if a moving company would load furniture into a dumpster for me (I need someone to move the few things I am keeping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You won't get a tax writeoff for a donation unless you exceed the $24,400 threshold for a married couple and $12.20 for a single person.

Estate companies will take a large percentage of your $$. You could have a moving sale where you let people come in the house. You would have to price it yourself though. You would probably get less traffic.
Thanks for the tips. I've itemized for years, so I will be able to write off donations. Thanks for the estate company vs self sale pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Garage sales are a waste of time. People won’t even buy quality items for a $1. We had one and only made like $50! Not worth all the work it involved! Lol

When we sold my parents home, we had 60 years worth of stuff! There were no Goodwills, etc in our small town. We decided that a 40 yard dumpster was our best option. Siblings took what the wanted, family heirlooms and sentimental items were kept and the rest went to the dump! We were done in one weekend.

I've been wondering about garage sales. It seems like so many people just free cycle I wonder if anyone buys stuff at garage sales anymore. I don't think I would make much since I would price to just get rid of stuff.

The dumpster idea is a good one. The problem for me is how do I load the thing. I don't have family in the area to come help me (I am actually moving back home when I sell... and not having family around is the reason). I could hire college kids. I bet they would love to get paid to move stuff. But I worry about them damaging walls and doorways on the way out to the dumpster. Some of this furniture is huge and heavy.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
What may not sell are tables and tables full of glassware and dishes.

Furniture, cabinets, lamps, and useful tools and stuff... will go like hotcakes if the price is right.

Luckily I don't have a lot of that. I've never collected stuff like that. And what I do have that I don't want, I would give to my mom's church for their yearly white elephant sale.

For the furniture, would it be worth it to do something like, before I fix up the house for sale, have a house sale and let people come in and buy things like an open house?

Old 05-17-2021, 10:55 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,496,592 times
also check your area and see if there is a Woman's assistance center They accept anything decent to give to women coming out of the shelter as a starter for a home/apartment. dishes, furniture, etc.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 AM

4,923 posts, read 7,850,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post

I think, if nothing else, the Salvation Army might take all that furniture away for free. It's decent stuff, just not high end.
When I was a Realtor in 2013, I was a listing agent for a home in short sale. The owner left a lot of things in the garage that I needed to make go away fast. I did call the Salvation Army who sent out a truck with a couple of guys who cleaned out quite a bit of the contents, enough that the remaining contents fit in one corner of the garage.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:18 AM

7,540 posts, read 3,805,726 times
I had good luck with habitat.

I think NextDoor is a good option as well. At least there people have to verify their identity/location, so it is safer than Craigslist. You can easily do a few items at a time for that. Then what you have leftover and can’t donate, you can throw into a dumpster. One of my friends is having a renovation soon and just hired one. I don’t think it was that expensive to have it for a few weeks.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 6,577,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Luckily I don't have a lot of that. I've never collected stuff like that. And what I do have that I don't want, I would give to my mom's church for their yearly white elephant sale.

For the furniture, would it be worth it to do something like, before I fix up the house for sale, have a house sale and let people come in and buy things like an open house?
If literally EVERYTHING is for sale and you don't mind people walking through your house, that's one way to do it. We did this with a friend's family home that was being sold as an estate. Everything that was still there was for sale, from the salt shakers to the house itself.

I went there to help... it takes some watching and security to keep things from going out without being paid for. It might be easier to keep watch of it all on the lawn.

Of course, weather and neighborhood and everything else needs to be considered.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:43 PM

12,373 posts, read 10,923,188 times
Some would cringe at what I have been putting in my trash. I mean perfectly good stuff but just stuff I do not want to be bothered to deal with as I downsize.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If literally EVERYTHING is for sale and you don't mind people walking through your house, that's one way to do it. We did this with a friend's family home that was being sold as an estate. Everything that was still there was for sale, from the salt shakers to the house itself.

I went there to help... it takes some watching and security to keep things from going out without being paid for. It might be easier to keep watch of it all on the lawn.

Of course, weather and neighborhood and everything else needs to be considered.

Yep, I plan to move the stuff I am going to keep out of the house and all the rest will be for sale from my bedroom set, to her bedroom set, everything in my kitchen from the dishes and Tupperware to the table and chairs, to the dining room table and chairs, the family room furniture and TV, all the knickknacks, rugs, wall hangings, all the way to the storage shelves, filing cabinet, etc). I even plan on selling some yard tools and such since I won't need them. I have a deep freezer too in my garage, but I was thinking of selling that with the house.

What I am going to keep could fit in the back of a van if it weren't for the furniture my granddad made (that's the only furniture I am keeping). So I will have to get a 10 foot Uhaul.

I actually thought about leaving all the stuff in the house to stage it since I plan to move out when it's on the market. But I really don't see houses that are empty wasting away on the market. So maybe not.

As far as people stealing stuff. I don't think I would be overly upset if they did. I would rather they didn't, but if they need it that badly they feel the need to steal it, they certainly need it more than I do and can have it. I would keep the higher ticket items on the main level where I would be thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Some would cringe at what I have been putting in my trash. I mean perfectly good stuff but just stuff I do not want to be bothered to deal with as I downsize.
I get where you are coming from. I've already gone though and thrown a lot away. I lost track of how much. I was just putting it all on the curb every week for months. I tried to go back and count later and I think I tossed about 35 trash bags in total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate