U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 02:28 PM

346 posts, read 348,141 times

Advertisements

For my last house I did a combination of 1800GotJunk and the Salvation Army. The SA were happy to take any furniture in good condition, major appliances that worked, etc. I just scheduled a pick-up the day before I moved. I also used 1800GotJunk for the stuff that either didn’t have any life left or wasn’t something that the SA, Goodwill, etc., would not take. So mattresses, baby gear, etc.

Perhaps I could have made some money if I had a garage sale, but I doubt it would have been enough money to warrant the time and energy that would go into setting everything up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 03:07 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,317,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thanks! So garage sale for the smaller items (that I can actually drag out of the house) and maybe just donate all the furniture (or find a consignment place that can haul the furniture away)?

All I know is hiring a junk company to haul away a kitchen set, dining room set, family room set, office furniture, storage cabinets, and two bedroom sets will cost a small fortune. It would probably take up a whole truck.

I think, if nothing else, the Salvation Army might take all that furniture away for free. It's decent stuff, just not high end. Except the couch with is Ethan Allen.
Habitat for Humanity can probably help too.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:24 PM

12,761 posts, read 25,547,865 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I figured it would be at least a 50% commission for an estate sale.
actually closer to 20-30%. at least that's what I charge here in Florida.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 611,076 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure out the best way to get rid of most of a houseful of stuff when I sell my house and move (I am downsizing in 11 months... greatly).

Thanks!
I would start NOW.
Pick out a piece of furniture that you don't want and don't think anyone would give you money for. Put it on "freecycle" if you have that, if you don't there's "let go" and craigslist and facebook marketplace. If your street is busy enough, set it outside when it isnt' going to rain and put a big free sign on it in bright colors.
Start with the bottom end and big stuff, it will greatly reduce your stress. Move to the most valuable small items last, those are the ones you do some homework on. Watch the stuff disappear all summer long by posting these items on online sites. Slowly you won't have things like a dining table or bookshelves, but you can get by without them and will value seeing the space empty and your stress reduce.
If nobody wants the first piece of low end furniture, some side table or something, or pressboard, then you can break it down and stuff it in a trash can. One thing at a time without slacking on the job, you can have this done before it's panic time.
Every week stuff that regular trash can full, whatever you're allotted to put to the curb.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:05 PM

4,258 posts, read 1,833,790 times
"Roll-off..."

Unfortunately, no one thinks your family jewels are worth what you think they're worth...

Old 05-17-2021, 04:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 3,910,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Estate sale.

I shop at them myself, We've utilized them on the seller side as well and been happy for family that passed on or was transitioning. They'll basically empty the house in a weekend, retaining only what you ask them to and leaving what little that doesn't sell boxed up and ready for donation.
Estate sale or auction company. I used an auction company to sell a good portion of my household furniture, smalls, glassware, and the contents of my garage and two storage sheds when I moved to my current house. Of course, I had a great many antique and vintage things since I had previously been an antiques dealer, but they also sold my ordinary stuff like household goods. That was one reason I used that particular auction house. I made a nice tidy sum too, even with the fees they charged.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:48 PM

830 posts, read 323,314 times
Thanks again for the ideas! I think I am starting to formulate a plan. I don't know that I can get rid of much now... I still use my dining room table (I host a meetup group and we use it a lot), I only have one couch and I like to sit when I watch TV, I definitely still need my bed, haha. Plus, I can't move any of that stuff on my own. I can't even move my dining room table without three other people it's so heavy. The bed needs to come apart to be moved. But I have a few little tables and such I can unload on the curb to see how it goes and I can start making a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
"Roll-off..."

Unfortunately, no one thinks your family jewels are worth what you think they're worth...

I don't know what you mean by "roll-off" I googled it but I come up flat. Could you please explain?

I am not getting rid of any family treasures, just stuff like furniture and household wares (like small appliances, garden tools, kitchen gear, some signed prints hanging on the walls, etc). I don't have things like fine china or many knickkancks that people think of as family treasures. I just was never interested in that kind of stuff. So I am not sure if that relates to roll-off.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:35 PM

5,370 posts, read 9,038,344 times
Roll off = dumpster

As far as labor - local high school kids. The stuff got IN your house without destroying the walls, it can come OUT as well.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:05 PM

830 posts, read 323,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Roll off = dumpster

As far as labor - local high school kids. The stuff got IN your house without destroying the walls, it can come OUT as well.

Thanks for the clarification! I never heard that term before. I swear I learn something every day.

It's a good idea, but I don't think I have the space for one of those--aren't they the size of a truck bed? I live in a townhouse with a postage stamp yard that's all garden and shrubs and small driveway for one car with a little room to spare. I want to say my whole yard and driveway are about 20x25 (not quite square and not quite two car lengths long). I could try to see if they have anything smaller that is literally dumpster size like you see behind a building that can go right up against the garage door and then I can park by it. But I might leave the dumpster for after I've tried to sell or give away furniture.

The stuff actually didn't get in the house without damaging the walls. Professional movers scuffed and damaged things coming in--especially the staircase going to the bedrooms. It's a small house and the furniture, frankly, is too big for it. But it was furniture for a large SFH originally, not my tiny townhouse. I expect there to be some damage moving it all out too. But I can just get the walls painted and such after I get rid of the furniture. And I can do my own patchwork. I also noticed there are screws in the dining room table. I would need help flipping it upside down, but I could take the screws out and maybe it would come apart. I think the movers originally took it apart and put it back together in the house. It's been too long for me to remember though.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 05-17-2021 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM

4,309 posts, read 10,199,222 times
You could consult now with an estate sale company and ask them if they would take it on closer to the time you're going to move. They will do everything and take a percentage. Where you live will determine if there is a market there for this sort of thing but I suspect there is. Then what's not sold could be donated or thrown out.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate