U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 08:02 PM

12,756 posts, read 7,039,789 times

Advertisements

If you really want to sell everything in your house, buy a packet of those round stickers, mark everything (cheap), advertise a weekend "living estate sale" (or "moving sale: everything must go"), have some friends or family around to ensure you aren't the victim of crime, leave all the doors and windows open, and let people walk through. Emphasize that it's the sticker price or best offer. As the weekend winds down, take whatever for it. Donate - preferably to a charity that will pick up - or set on the curb for free whatever's left.

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning too much stuff and trying to get rid of it! You have a lot of company.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 12:42 PM

371 posts, read 311,885 times
I am moving in about a year as well. My husband passed in 2015 and our youngest is finally (delayed due to Covid) off to college this fall. I'm not staying here by myself so moving from NV to MA and stay with my daughter and son in law. I'll be down sizing from a 3 bedroom house so will only be taking my bedroom and office furniture (work from home), and a couple items my father in law made- a bookcase and hutch (including dishes inside). I'll bring personal things that matter to me and that my daughters want things like Christmas stuff handed down for generations and some artwork (not worth anything but sentimental value). I'll store most of it in MA when I get there since he's military and we aren't sure where we'll go when he retires.

The rest? I'll have a couple garage sales, donate anything else, and put a lot to the curb for bulk trash pickup. Once the young one goes to college I'll start using the spare room for things I want to take and start getting rid of the rest. And of course my pups with go with me!!

It's definitely not going to be easy but I need a change in my life and this is the best time to do it. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM

27,970 posts, read 38,094,369 times
One of my neighbors moved into a motor home an sold all of their furniture. They had good quality furniture in great shape and they opened up the house and let people wander through and they sold it all at pretty decent prices; hundreds of dollars per piece, not 25 cents. But it was nice clean good looking stuff.

I occasionally stop at a garage sale or estate sale, but almost never find anything to buy because they are selling worthless junk that nobody wants and I wonder why they saved it all for so long. Really, what did you plan to do with those drooping faded silk flowers that you kept for decades and the mismatched chipped jelly glasses?

But if a yard sale or estate sale is selling decent stuff, the buyers will buy. People do need furniture so there is a buyer for who needs that sofa or table.

The trouble with a dumpster is that someone has to move that heavy furniture out and put it into the dumpster. If you go to the U-haul type places, they will have the names of furniture packers and movers, but you pay them, and better to try to figure out a way to get rid of stuff without it costing money to do it. (that dumpster itself isn't cheap)

I think if I wanted to sell everything, I'd start with the estate sale people and see if they would deal with it. Only if they say no, would I move on to other options.

I've got an auction near me that sells ordinary household stuff. I don't know what sort of prices they get, but they are still doing it, so they must be getting something.

I buy at an auction that sells antiques and collectibles and refuses to take any junk. They get OK prices for stuff. Not what antiques should get, but at least hundreds of dollars instead of a dump fee. There are plenty of buyers for good furniture at a bargain price.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:01 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,480,767 times
Have a yard sale. Anything that doesn't sell be a certain time advertise as "Free". You'll be amazed at how quickly something someone wouldn't pay a buck for gets snatched up.

We did this about 5 years ago after my father passed. We did a yard sale from about 8-12 and then I went back out and put a large "EVERYTHING IS FREE" sign out after noon and i would say within about 45 minutes pretty much everything that was left was gone.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:37 PM

5,465 posts, read 9,193,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Have a yard sale. Anything that doesn't sell be a certain time advertise as "Free". You'll be amazed at how quickly something someone wouldn't pay a buck for gets snatched up.

We did this about 5 years ago after my father passed. We did a yard sale from about 8-12 and then I went back out and put a large "EVERYTHING IS FREE" sign out after noon and i would say within about 45 minutes pretty much everything that was left was gone.
There have been numerous times I have put things at the curb with a “free” sign and they are gone pronto. Sometimes I put them on Craig’s list with a vague address (“400 block of Main Street on the west side”). The only things I ever had linger was a mattress and box spring (it was in good shape but I understand people’s reluctance) and a little 13” inch TV so old it had a dial tuner.

Where we now live there is a city-wide bulky item pickup twice a year. People usually put stuff out a couple of days early. “Junk collectors” go around and take most of it before the city truck gets there.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:38 PM

46,611 posts, read 20,272,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
also check your area and see if there is a Woman's assistance center They accept anything decent to give to women coming out of the shelter as a starter for a home/apartment. dishes, furniture, etc.
This was my first thought. I've done this twice now.

Women have grabbed their children and left with literally only what they were wearing. Once the feathers settle and they figure out what's next, they need beds, and tables, and encouragement. Call the local woman's shelter and ask about their transitional housing furniture needs.

Unless you are up for the aggravation for "under $10K," track down the people who are looking for free furniture, and offer them yours.

Once we donated a bunch of furniture to a Boy Scout collecting for a refugee family.

College students are always looking for furniture, especially students from far away. Contact the foreign student's association, or whatever they are called these days, and ask. As generally the demand is higher in the fall, you would've use of your belongings for several more months.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-18-2021 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
For my last house I did a combination of 1800GotJunk and the Salvation Army. The SA were happy to take any furniture in good condition, major appliances that worked, etc. I just scheduled a pick-up the day before I moved. I also used 1800GotJunk for the stuff that either didn’t have any life left or wasn’t something that the SA, Goodwill, etc., would not take. So mattresses, baby gear, etc.

Perhaps I could have made some money if I had a garage sale, but I doubt it would have been enough money to warrant the time and energy that would go into setting everything up.
I've had good luck with the Salvation Army.

Plus, in all my years working on Crisis Intervention Teams, in two different places, never once did I call Salvation Army and not get help for someone. Not once. They always came up with a solution.

They run soup kitchens, and shelters. They walk their talk.

I've carried a lot of loads to the Salvation Army that I'm sure were put to good use.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-18-2021 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 05:52 PM

The quickest way to get rid of stuff is to give it away.

Unless you want the money, why go through the aggravation of trying to sell stuff.

If you want to increase what you move away with, I would encourage you to consider staging your house.

Homes may be selling quickly right now in your area, but who knows what will be going on eleven months from now. Plus, the homes in our area with the clearly staged photos are in bidding wars, going for tens of thousands higher than comparable ones on comparable streets.

If I was going to focus on making some money, I'd focus on staging right now. Then you get to live in the place for a time. What fun!

When sold our last home, our real estate agent offered us free consultations with a stager. She gave us advice in every room. We rearranged and got rid of furniture. Painted walls. ... When our kids saw the photos on-line, they asked why we hadn't lived that way while they were growing up.

And frankly, we asked ourselves that as well. Even though it was a down market, our home sold in a few weeks and we only got to live in like that for a few months.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:10 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,807,920 times
Like others have said, I would advertise an "indoor" yard sale. Can you take group pictures of your stuff and at least post those with your ad on craigslist, Nextdoor, local Facebook groups, etc. Make some simple flyers and put them up on the community bulletin boards at the local grocery stores. You control the days and times you want to open your house to people and you can spell out in your ad those will be the only times for contacting you. Make sure you don't respond to anyone except to repeat the date and time of your yard sale. It is not rude, you are just making your own rules and people need to respect that. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:02 AM

18,679 posts, read 26,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
An estate sale may take a large commission but you'll still walk away with more than if you call someone to haul it away. And I can tell you with COVID a lot of places are not doing pickups.

Estate salespeople have followers who go to their sales, and also get the garage sale crowd as well.

If the OP can't be bothered to sell on FB marketplace where it will quickly sell, estate sale is the next best option IMO, at least she will walk away with some cash without doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No, sell the furniture too. Just put a good price on it. Used leather furniture can be a couple hundred bucks but almost any fabric furniture should be cheap.

Lots of people need and buy furniture and dining room sets and storage cabinets at garage sales.

Salvation Army and the like are pretty picky about furniture because they don't have all kinds of room to store it. Just sell it.

Agree Diana, good will may not want it, she should either sell or do an estate sale where she will at least make something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
also check your area and see if there is a Woman's assistance center They accept anything decent to give to women coming out of the shelter as a starter for a home/apartment. dishes, furniture, etc.

Great advice! I was going to suggest similar because there are all sorts of single mothers getting their own place. These charities know who has the need locally.

Another would be to send a mass email to friends and family or she can post on her Facebook to see if any of the kids are moving out, need anything or anything cheap? My daughter just happened to get a rental when her grandmother died. She brought home a lot of kitchen stuff for her new place. She didn't need bedroom furniture, didn't care for the couch. She found a free couch on FB marketplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate