U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 04:48 PM

6,323 posts, read 8,736,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thanks! So garage sale for the smaller items (that I can actually drag out of the house) and maybe just donate all the furniture (or find a consignment place that can haul the furniture away)?

All I know is hiring a junk company to haul away a kitchen set, dining room set, family room set, office furniture, storage cabinets, and two bedroom sets will cost a small fortune. It would probably take up a whole truck.

I think, if nothing else, the Salvation Army might take all that furniture away for free. It's decent stuff, just not high end. Except the couch with is Ethan Allen.
People will buy furniture at a garage sale. I'd do the sale first, then offer things for free for a week on Facebook, etc., then get one of those big dumpsters from the trash company and fill it and/or donate whatever is left.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 04:51 PM

9,804 posts, read 6,582,313 times
I have the opposite experience doing garage sales. If you're willing to take a week to organize and price things, you'll make good money. Yes, people will dicker with you, let them. Make them a deal, get the stuff out the door. Last sale we had we made a few thousand dollars. Lots of small items do add up.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:00 PM

2,732 posts, read 801,117 times
Try a yard sale for the decent stuff. I helped elderly mom sell her cabin in the mountains...bit of a hoarder...tons of old stuff ...mostly junk (some antiques though)...had my picker friend go through and get some stuff for not much money. Sold the place suddenly...the buyers took it "as is". Hope they keep some and don't toss all...up to them though. If you sell the decent stuff and most of the other stuff has little value, you may be able to sell all "as is"...or get a junk hauler out there.

Last edited by Fisherman99; 05-19-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 05:47 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,040,341 times
This is my third reply on this thread, but keep thinking of things.

When my MIL died, she only had the contents of her one bedroom apartment, and nothing special at that. After the kids, grandkids and great grandkids took what they wanted, we had a garage sale. I called a friend of mine who is a serious garage sale attendee to get some ideas for prices, and she said “just tell people to make an offer.” Which is what we did. Made about $100.00. Mid afternoon a couple showed up and bought everything that was left for $20.00. We were done with it and that was the best part.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:56 PM

533 posts, read 149,256 times
Back in the spring of 2008, I had just moved into a house that I had furnished with the furniture
and belongings of 3 different deceased relatives.

The last relative had passed in April of that year. After the ink was dry and the probate was settled,
I was stuck with a bunch of stuff I did not want or need. On a whim, I decided to put everything
out on my driveway one morning.

All of sudden, from out of nowhere all these people showed up to look and buy. By noon, all the
stuff was sold and I had twelve hundred bucks cash in my pocket. That was a once in a lifetime experience.
I still have no idea how I got so lucky that morning.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:14 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,436,070 times
When I was prepping to sell, I gave away most of what had to be gone. Certainly could have used the money, but I was doing everything myself and over-burdened with things to do and keeping the house show-ready.

Extreme decluttering really improved the appearance of the house, and it looked staged using a few pieces of furniture I had left. In the long run just giving things away was the easiest and least stressful way to unload. I still had too much stuff that moved with me, but apparently everyone moves with too much stuff.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:40 AM

171 posts, read 83,721 times
This topic should be a lesson to all of us to look around our houses to see what we can start decluttering, even if we aren't moving.

I've been thinning out my drawers and closets after reading that adult children DON'T want your stuff. My children have houses full of items they like and have purchased themselves. They don't want my couches and chairs.

I think about my parent's furniture. When they pass, I don't want or need anything of theirs. I will keep photos, jewelry and maybe a painting or knick-knack but that's it. I have everything I need and in my style because I picked it out. When I have to deal with their house, I'll advertise an Estate Sale and price everything to sell.

Now I walk through my house thinking "when I die, how difficult will it be for my children to get rid of this stuff"? I've left instructions for the easiest way to be done with it and the money to make it happen.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:43 AM

9,078 posts, read 7,105,382 times
Just give it away! It will go fast.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:59 AM

16,268 posts, read 24,914,647 times
Freecycle.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:20 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,436,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Freecycle.
Endless, tiresome no-shows from Freecycle and Craigslist people. Lots of them were also moochers. Thrift shops were my go-to favorite places to unload stuff. Also, they benefit charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate