U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM

16,748 posts, read 25,270,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, so sorry about your brother.

My question is why would she want to live with you, the brother in law, instead of her own family?

Great question. Hopefully the OP will log in soon and post. He hasn't been back since making the thread. Hope it won't be too late. I sent him a message, some times it works to get someone back here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

3,158 posts, read 1,143,060 times
I'd say it depends how good of a judge of their character the OP is. I've got friends and family I'd open my house to, including remodeling or adding another bathroom for their convenience, in a heartbeat. I've also known some friends and family that I would have to lock up the silverware before having them come over for dinner. So yeah, if the former, I wouldn't worry about it. But if the latter, mail them a check or two and keep them at arms' length. Sorry for the loss of your brother, OP.

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

2,181 posts, read 691,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Great question. Hopefully the OP will log in soon and post. He hasn't been back since making the thread. Hope it won't be too late. I sent him a message, some times it works to get someone back here.
This thing is complicated. My sister in law has received disability for years and being 65 years old may not be able to work any job. Her daughter who lives with her is an adult and has no job for unknown reasons. Our hope is that she will soon find a low cost apartment and move out after she settles in with us. She evidently has little money and a large car payment that she will not be able to continue to pay. My brother was a trucker but he was working only part time at the time of his death. He has no life insurance. Another big concern is that by leaving Florida they could lose any state benefits of social assistance and not be eligible for help here in NC.I have just today talked with an attorney and he says that because of the covid laws it could be very hard to make them move once that move in even as tenants and very hard to evict them if they are living there with no legal agreement and are just "guest" ,,,I will be getting a letter from his office giving his advice very soon. Thanks for the valuable insights on what I should do..

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

7,945 posts, read 3,816,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
This thing is complicated. My sister in law has received disability for years and being 65 years old may not be able to work any job. Her daughter who lives with her is an adult and has no job for unknown reasons. Our hope is that she will soon find a low cost apartment and move out after she settles in with us. She evidently has little money and a large car payment that she will not be able to continue to pay. My brother was a trucker but he was working only part time at the time of his death. He has no life insurance. Another big concern is that by leaving Florida they could lose any state benefits of social assistance and not be eligible for help here in NC.I have just today talked with an attorney and he says that because of the covid laws it could be very hard to make them move once that move in even as tenants and very hard to evict them if they are living there with no legal agreement and are just "guest" ,,,I will be getting a letter from his office giving his advice very soon. Thanks for the valuable insights on what I should do..
This should be setting off your alarm bells alone.
Also you say your SIL is 65 then she should be able to get your brother's SS checks in addition to her disability money.
That seems like more than enough money to get a place on their own.
I don't know about the NC Residency laws but here in Florida you have to live here for 6 months to establish residency in order to qualify for benefits.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

37,378 posts, read 41,737,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This should be setting off your alarm bells alone.
Also you say your SIL is 65 then she should be able to get your brother's SS checks in addition to her disability money.
I think her Disability discontinues and converts to his SS benefit. Hopefully he had a decent income over the years. I may be wrong.

She may need to sign up for Sec 8 Housing, food stamps and any other Govt assistance available. Her grown kid needs a job to take care of mom.

Old Today, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for coming back. Sounds like you've been busy. Glad to hear you saw an attorney too.

It sounds like the adult daughter needs to get off her rear to get work.

It would actually hurt them more if they went to live with you. They're established residents there, your SIL will qualify for a disabled housing voucher. I can ask my daughter who she would have to call to get one. They've been easy to get due to COVID. They also have help for utilities. If they moved to NC, they would go to the back of the line because their housing situation is not dire like it would be in Florida. They will never move out if they live with you.

As someone mentioned, if your brother was 65, your SIL will qualify to get some of his social security.. I believe the way social security disability works is that when someone turns 65 they get moved off of SSDI to regular social security. She should stay on her own as long as she can to let your brothers max out to his full retirement age or even 70 if she can manage because she will need it to survive.

Her SSDI check is probably about $1,000 which won't buy much. With her being disabled, does she have a pain management doctor she sees? She would be losing her doctor and medication. It's not easy to get pain management in a new state, also not easy finding a pharmacy to fill narcotics if she's on them.

She will also lose her health insurance moving states, will have to switch to a NC plan.

The state Medicaid system will actually give your SIL about $1,500 to use for your brothers death, which isn't much but at least it would help.

Old Today, 03:17 AM

45,808 posts, read 19,267,985 times
Quote:
My heart goes out to you over the loss of your brother.

Your attorney advice is sound. It could be quite difficult to get them to move out once they move in, and months before they establish residency in NC in order to apply for state support services.

The unemployed daughter and her mother have some decisions to make. Moving in with you will only delay these.

Good luck to all of you.

Old Today, 05:50 AM

1,465 posts, read 519,843 times
It sounds like the OP may dodge a bullet thanks to the good advice given here and from the attorney.

Maybe there's something to be learned from posts like these. Protect those who depend on you in case you're no longer there to provide for them. There seems to be an abundance of GoFundMe accounts to provide for those who have lost a wage earner. I always think to myself "Didn't they have life insurance?" It would at least help to get them through the initial period of grief so they wouldn't have to worry about losing a roof over their heads.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
It sounds like the OP may dodge a bullet thanks to the good advice given here and from the attorney.

Maybe there's something to be learned from posts like these. Protect those who depend on you in case you're no longer there to provide for them. There seems to be an abundance of GoFundMe accounts to provide for those who have lost a wage earner. I always think to myself "Didn't they have life insurance?" It would at least help to get them through the initial period of grief so they wouldn't have to worry about losing a roof over their heads.

As a matter of fact, OP's brother may have a pension and who knows what else from driving trucks if he's been doing it a long time. My hub used to be in the union, there aren't many left these days. Wonder how long ago his brother passed away. He doesn't say.

Old Today, 06:47 AM

1,465 posts, read 519,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
As a matter of fact, OP's brother may have a pension and who knows what else from driving trucks if he's been doing it a long time. My hub used to be in the union, there aren't many left these days. Wonder how long ago his brother passed away. He doesn't say.
Good point Rose. There are benefits that some companies/unions have for their employees that the families might not be aware of. I remember years ago (when I was young and didn't pay attention to all the details) starting a new job and getting all kinds of paperwork to sign. I seem to remember life insurance policies in amongst all that paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate