U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:58 AM

16,748 posts, read 25,270,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Good point Rose. There are benefits that some companies/unions have for their employees that the families might not be aware of. I remember years ago (when I was young and didn't pay attention to all the details) starting a new job and getting all kinds of paperwork to sign. I seem to remember life insurance policies in amongst all that paperwork.

I think it's way too early for her to say she knows she's broke. He may have had something. How to find out, I'm not sure. Hopefully he kept paperwork.

She should touch base with his company
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:22 AM

73,773 posts, read 6,006,982 times
I don't understand why they are facing eviction, if she is getting an income from disability, why aren't they paying the rent? Plus they both should have got the stimulus money,(most recent $1400 each) so some of that could go towards rent & other living expenses.
Take up the offer of finding them some local help in Fl.
I'm glad you went to an attorney.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

10,104 posts, read 22,482,256 times
Honestly? Don’t move them in... you’ll never get rid of them.

The adult child living a home without an income is a deal breaker for me. I would offer to help the sister in law from afar... but that adult child needs a job and needs to help support their mother.

No one can live on just social security unless they live in sec 8 housing or affordable senior housing.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,785,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
This thing is complicated. My sister in law has received disability for years and being 65 years old may not be able to work any job. Her daughter who lives with her is an adult and has no job for unknown reasons. Our hope is that she will soon find a low cost apartment and move out after she settles in with us. She evidently has little money and a large car payment that she will not be able to continue to pay. My brother was a trucker but he was working only part time at the time of his death. He has no life insurance. Another big concern is that by leaving Florida they could lose any state benefits of social assistance and not be eligible for help here in NC.I have just today talked with an attorney and he says that because of the covid laws it could be very hard to make them move once that move in even as tenants and very hard to evict them if they are living there with no legal agreement and are just "guest" ,,,I will be getting a letter from his office giving his advice very soon. Thanks for the valuable insights on what I should do..
You should not move them in with you. You will not be able to easily evict them if you do. These two do not sound like a pair that will be easy to get out of your house, no matter what sort of "agreement" you have.

If you want to help them out, it would be far better to provide your sister some small amount of money for a short time while she makes arrangements.

Your SIL gets disability. You could provide her resources for how to find information on subsidized housing HUD (she may need to get on waiting lists NOW.)

Your niece does not work for whatever reason. Unless she is actually disabled that needs to change immediately. If she is disabled, she needs to apply for disability.

They need to get rid of the car with the large payment they can't afford and take public transportation. They should stay in FL where they are already receiving public assistance. Was your brother old enough that his widow can now file for his social security?

Old Today, 10:32 AM

16,820 posts, read 15,538,782 times
The widow needs to talk to Social Security about benefits, and needs to talk to a social worker about resources in the area where she is currently living. She also needs to get rid of the car with the large car payment. She needs to look at low cost housing, even if it is a women's shelter. She can look at low cost housing options such as renting a room. There are clean and sober houses where someone can live for $400 a month.

There are options out there. Help connect her with resources in her area.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

20,561 posts, read 30,688,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Our hope is that she will soon find a low cost apartment and move out after she settles in with us. .

What incentive is there to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate