U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 12:57 PM

2,181 posts, read 691,367 times

Advertisements

Recently my brother died from the virus. He lived in Florida. Because his wife and grown child face eviction and other serious money issues we invited them to come and stay with us. This has got to be only a short visit because of my own health reasons. Question is could I have a legal problem in several months if I ask them to move out . We live in NC. Do I need a signed agreement ? We are trying to be very nice right now and dont want to hurt her feelings , but I dont want any "legal issues" telling me later who can live or not live in my house. thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 01:25 PM

14,028 posts, read 7,477,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Recently my brother died from the virus. He lived in Florida. Because his wife and grown child face eviction and other serious money issues we invited them to come and stay with us. This has got to be only a short visit because of my own health reasons. Question is could I have a legal problem in several months if I ask them to move out . We live in NC. Do I need a signed agreement ? We are trying to be very nice right now and dont want to hurt her feelings , but I dont want any "legal issues" telling me later who can live or not live in my house. thanks
You definitely need to put some mutually agreed upon sideboards on this situation. Do you own your home or rent it? Any restriction on the number of occupants you can have? A formal agreement will protect both parties and will actually help them settle on their longer term plans. They may not know what direction to head...they're in shock. It is kindness to bring a level head to the discussion. You don't want to dump more trouble on them and hopefully they don't want to cause any friction for you. This has come up in the Renting subforum a lot. A search for similar threads might be eye opening.

Depending on how your state defines tenancy (and you might want to educate yourself about the topic before you finalize the plan), if your "guests" stay for more than a certain period of time or even receive mail at your address they could be considered tenants. To get them to leave (if they seem unable to commit to the next step) would require a formal eviction. No one knows how the future will play out. Plans change. So do intentions. Expectations can be misinterpreted. No one can predict how well everyone will get along day to day or how much of a toll company would take on you. It isn't a totally comfortable topic to broach, but if you approach it by saying you want to avoid any misunderstandings it will save both of you hard feelings.

Ask yourself whether coming to visit you would actually help anything. Moving is an upheaval under the best of circumstances. If they have to put belongings in storage or travel a long way from established connections (like potential employment), it might not be all that helpful. Plus, the end result may be needing to move twice. Yes, your offer was made with good intentions but it might create even more stress for everyone.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-17-2021 at 02:37 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 08:40 AM

45,809 posts, read 19,267,985 times
Quote:
Your brother just died and his wife and grown child are facing serious money issues and eviction already?

I don't care what kind of agreement you have ahead of time, there will likely be issues in getting them to move along. Where would they go?

What might be the long-term plan?

If getting them in government subsidized housing is the goal, they need to stay right where they are and apply for subsidized housing. Eviction might move them up the list. It does in many places.

https://www.hud.gov/states/florida/renting

Why is the grown child in this dire situation. Disability? If so there are social workers who can help sort this out.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:04 AM

1,803 posts, read 855,425 times
I think it would be far better and safer for the OP to simply provide some financial assistance to his brother's widow for a few months until she can find a job or get government assistance or whatever solution to her problem. It's very easy to cut off or discontinue financial assistance, but getting someone out of your home whom you've invited in can be rather challenging for numerous reasons.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 AM

73,758 posts, read 6,006,982 times
I agree with the last 2 responses. (Got here & Chas) Why are they in such a bad way already? Can't they get a job? You would be better off sending them some money, if you can afford it, than by letting potential free loaders move in. If things don't work out, you may have them stay forever. Of course I've never met them, so they may not be like that at all. Your call.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:22 AM

45,809 posts, read 19,267,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think it would be far better and safer for the OP to simply provide some financial assistance to his brother's widow for a few months until she can find a job or get government assistance or whatever solution to her problem. It's very easy to cut off or discontinue financial assistance, but getting someone out of your home whom you've invited in can be rather challenging for numerous reasons.
Challenging? I should say.

If the OP's health issues are such that having them in the house long-term is contraindicated, then it would be better all the way around to offer some short-term support where they are.

The pressure to resolve their financial issues will be greatly reduced once they are ensconced in the OP's home.

But as the previous poster said, that's the OP's call.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:40 AM

16,735 posts, read 25,270,907 times
Quote:

I think you made the invite way too fast if you've already done it. This could be really bad for you and your family. I have the same questions as everyone else.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:03 AM

73,758 posts, read 6,006,982 times
Try & rescind the invitation. If you already have health issues, you don't need any additional stress. Why can't they work & earn money to pay the rent? How old is the child?

eta: Isn't there some kind of protection from evictions, due to covid or did that finish already.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:09 AM

7,135 posts, read 8,033,877 times
What are their plans? If they have money issues now, how are those going to be solved in the next few months? Yes, there may be issues on a legal front, but it seems like the bigger issue is that there's no reason to think the situation will be any different in a few months.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:26 AM

37,375 posts, read 41,737,156 times
Is there some reason the "Grown Child" (or adult as I call them) is not working?

And why have they not been collecting Unemployment?

Yes you could be the evil SOB to them and have to evict if they refuse to leave. Me, I would just change the locks after I set their stuff outside. You are in a lose-lose situation if they are destitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate