Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Any help would be appreciated. My husband and I are retired and when his brother died, we bought their house very cheap from his children. The lady that owned the land gave them a sweet deal of $100 a month and they would never raise the rent. That was 40 years ago. They put a manufactured home on the property and lived in it till they died just 2 weeks apart.

We moved in 4 years ago and dealt with her son as she was pretty old then. He wanted $300 a month and we were happy with that. His mom died and he wants to sell all her properties now. He wants $50.000 for the lot.

We don't have much money so my son is trying to figure out how we can do this. My husband is a Navy Vet with 7 years service. My son suggested we check out a VA loan and he would pay the payments. From my research on the internet, getting a loan for property with a house we own on it doesn't exist, or does it?

We live in Redding Ca and the house isn't attached to the foundation. I think it was built in 1979.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Parrot Brain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Question for you, is the home a mobile/manufactured home ? Is the home in an HOA ?

Where I live, I own my townhome outright, but the land surrounding it is owned by the HOA I live in. They cannot ask me to move my house (I live in an end unit of a 6 unit building).

Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM

5,982 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot brain View Post
Hi,

Any help would be appreciated. My husband and I are retired and when his brother died, we bought their house very cheap from his children. The lady that owned the land gave them a sweet deal of $100 a month and they would never raise the rent. That was 40 years ago. They put a manufactured home on the property and lived in it till they died just 2 weeks apart.

We moved in 4 years ago and dealt with her son as she was pretty old then. He wanted $300 a month and we were happy with that. His mom died and he wants to sell all her properties now. He wants $50.000 for the lot.

We don't have much money so my son is trying to figure out how we can do this. My husband is a Navy Vet with 7 years service. My son suggested we check out a VA loan and he would pay the payments. From my research on the internet, getting a loan for property with a house we own on it doesn't exist, or does it?

We live in Redding Ca and the house isn't attached to the foundation. I think it was built in 1979.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Parrot Brain
Thank you and your husband for his military service. It sounds like your situation is a rather tough one. I'm not a lawyer, but here's my opinion on a few things.

A mobile home is considered personal property, not "real property" as in "real estate". Since you don't own the land, I have doubts that you would be able to borrow money against property that you don't own, and I doubt that the mobile home is worth much either being as it's 40+ years old.

I have no idea as to the actual worth of the lot, but I doubt if it's worth $50K unless it is in a pretty nice neighborhood of homes costing several hundred thousand dollars.

Actually, I can't think of any real good options for you at this moment. It might even be difficult for you to sell the mobile home to someone else because it often costs more to move one than they're worth if they're 40+ years old. You might have to give it away to get rid of it, or perhaps even pay someone to take it off your hands.

Perhaps the owner of the lot will change his mind and agree to rent the land to you for a while longer, but I wouldn't count on it.

I think your best bet is to simply start looking for a new place to live. Since your husband is a veteran, he would be eligible for a VA loan which requires very little or no down payment. That might be a possibility for you. Contact the VA or a knowledgeable realtor or both.

Good luck to you. Hope you can find something nice that you can afford.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:

We moved in 4 years ago and dealt with her son as she was pretty old then. He wanted $300 a month and we were happy with that.

Cool - do you have that it writing as a land lease? Was the amount ever to escalate or is this a month to month?

Quote:

His mom died and he wants to sell all her properties now. He wants $50.000 for the lot.

If you have a (valid) lease stating $300 in perpetuity, you don't have to buy it. He could sell to someone else; but they would have to abide by your lease.

So, what, exactly, is your agreement?

Old 05-17-2021, 06:52 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
From my research on the internet, getting a loan for property with a house we own on it doesn't exist, or does it?
Research on the internet. Often useless.

How about calling local lenders and see if a land purchase loan is available. A lender who makes land purchase loans should be able to find out quick enough if the lot is worth $50,000.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:53 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Talk to a lender and see if the VA construction loan would work. I know you can affix mobile homes to land with them. The age of your mobile might be an issue, but that is where I would start.

You own personal property which is different. When that mobile gets affixed to the land with a foundation, then it becomes real property.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:19 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
That was popular with coops here in nyc ..

There were 99 year leases issued on many buildings who did not own the land …

Well 50 years later many can’t be sold ….no banks will touch them and no buyers want them .the leases on the land didn’t automatically renew …

The ones like that near us recently worked deals for millions to buy the land ….the monthly nut shot up bigtime for owners

Old 05-18-2021, 06:08 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Research on the internet. Often useless.

How about calling local lenders and see if a land purchase loan is available. A lender who makes land purchase loans should be able to find out quick enough if the lot is worth $50,000.
That would be a great place to start.

How many acres are we talking about here?

Old 05-18-2021, 06:12 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Land loans often require high down payments, carry high interest rates, and a near term balloon payment, perhaps within 3-5 years. Usually they are intended for buying land to then build a house on, not for long term financing of a lot.

But, yes, check with local community banks and credit unions.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:16 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
The problem with older mobile homes is that most banks won't loan on them, and most mobile home parks won't let you move an older one in.

The good news is that many older mobile homes are already grandfathered in at some mobile home parks. When they come up for sale, the price is often quite good as buyers have to either pay in cash or work out a deal with the owner. I've seen them in the under $10K range.

The monthly fee at a mobile home park could be in the $300 range and would likely include sewer and garbage.

Here's a resource for affordable housing for veterans by veterans.

Santiago Creek Mobilehome Park - Veterans Affordable Housing Program

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate