U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

4,656 posts, read 2,703,992 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I recall hearing a lecture on NPR about how it was counterproductive to improve your house, when in the end you wind up with a higher tax bill. When I listed my house for sale they raised the assessment to what I was listing it at even though it hadn't sold. The house sold for 30k less than that and the assessment never dropped. Why fix up your house any more than necessary?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

1,929 posts, read 645,709 times
dunno about your particular situation,some improvements or additions do not add value to the property ,taste changes

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

I remember a Brazilian family upgraded their living room but not the kitchen as in Brazil,maids work in kitchen,and so while in USA,they eat out often,why bother to spruce up the kitchen with dishwasher,nice decor,modern refrigerator,oven etc.
But American middle class cares a lot about the kitchen

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

9,274 posts, read 6,008,424 times
Some people make improvements for resale value, some people just like to have a beautiful home.

I don't know about other areas, but in our area, most improvements to the inside of the home will not trigger a tax re-assessment unless and until the place is sold. Assessors never come inside homes, only estimate from what they can see from the road.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

7,418 posts, read 5,593,265 times
I have not a clue how anyone would ever know. Some things like my impact windows had permits, but mostly everything else, no one on Earth knows it was done or not.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

14,082 posts, read 7,513,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Some people make improvements for resale value, some people just like to have a beautiful home.

I don't know about other areas, but in our area, most improvements to the inside of the home will not trigger a tax re-assessment unless and until the place is sold. Assessors never come inside homes, only estimate from what they can see from the road.
This. I made several fairly major functional improvements to my previous house (replaced a 35 year old roof, windows, swapped the original 35 year old oil-fired boiler for natural gas, converted electric stove and dryer, added a new water filtration/softener). While the tax assessment did go up it also went up for the entire area. The percentage increase was the same across the board. However, those improvements made the house more comfortable, efficient in terms of utilities, and probably made quite a difference when it came time to sell: the speed of sale, appraisal, and the negotiated price.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 03:40 PM..

Old Today, 12:24 AM

12,356 posts, read 12,245,487 times
We upgrade for our pleasure. If it means more taxes so be it but what triggers property tax increases the most are increased neighborhood sales prices/comps... not anything inside of the home. Our outside kitchen was added to our value but ultimately the gang buster sold homes made our taxes go up 1300 this year

Old Today, 07:49 AM

4,656 posts, read 2,703,992 times
This thread was in the NY Forum and got sent here, just so you know.

Old Today, 08:12 AM

some claimed the state will go to Zillow and read what you added to your home

Old Today, 08:15 AM

question-
what does it have to do with the state,if I added more features to my home,do I use more state resources?
I installed a lawn sprinkler system to water my lawn,I PAID for the water in my water bill,why should it cause my property tax bill to go up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate