Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 03:39 PM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times

Advertisements

Waiting for a response on an offer for developed land in Flagstaff, AZ. Crazy, crazy market, stuff going under contract practically the minute it lists.

Looking at home plans and trying to determine whether we'll go log home or conventional home built with SIPs. Might be moot of the offer doesn't go through, but you've got to be prepared...

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 06:46 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Sold in AZ on 3/29, building in east AL on 10 acres that began as undeveloped. We had 4 acres mulched in Nov/Dec, began construction in early March. So far, so good. Windows were delayed but the house is essentially dried in. Well is in and we have power in also.

I’ll make a quick trip over tomorrow...it’s about 120 miles from our temp location and then, we’ll go back on Friday for the long weekend.

We’re meeting with the cabinet guy and have some trim colors to select on Saturday. Sunday, we’ll round out our lighting, plumbing and appliances.
For some reason I thought you were moving near auburn. Is that south or east Alabama?

Old 05-25-2021, 07:06 PM

14,951 posts, read 9,787,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Waiting for a response on an offer for developed land in Flagstaff, AZ. Crazy, crazy market, stuff going under contract practically the minute it lists.

Looking at home plans and trying to determine whether we'll go log home or conventional home built with SIPs. Might be moot of the offer doesn't go through, but you've got to be prepared...

RM
I 'had' a log home. They're beautiful and full of character, but the maintenance is off the chart.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:07 PM

13,057 posts, read 7,491,199 times
thinking about it for millennium age son who is under pressure to produce an heir. He already owns a townhouse but the question is whether his next upsided, abode is affordable or even available in 2 years.
Seattle & eastside Seattle. This is a very hot region because of the tech companies and employees with vested stock awards.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:09 PM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I 'had' a log home. They're beautiful and full of character, but the maintenance is off the chart.
How so? Exterior maintenance? Engineered or "real" logs?

RM

Old 05-26-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
How so? Exterior maintenance? Engineered or "real" logs?

RM
Real (D) logs, but not the upper floors, those were faux log siding. Borer bees, cleaning and staining, wood peckers, bats, etc... it was always something. Interior had it's own set of problems. Very inefficient too.

Way too much work over the years.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Tried to buy a house in northern Vermont. It got crazy and we refused to do stupid things just to stay in the game. Walked away, rented a typical apartment as needed, and will wait it out.

In my neighborhood/community of roughly 100 houses, they are building (slowly due to material prices/shortages)/selling in secondary market at completely retarded prices. House listed in 2017 for $460 just went to contract at $750. House sold last year for $1.1, now listed again for $1.6 Similar stories abound.

We're getting close to a top. They don't ring a bell, but sentiment will change overnight for no specific reason when we get there.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:32 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
I'm done. I downsized into my forever home in 2019, sold my older home, pocketed a big chunk of cash, and now I'm on the sidelines watching the circus and being amazed at the skyrocketing prices in my neighborhood.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Tried to buy a house in northern Vermont. It got crazy and we refused to do stupid things just to stay in the game. Walked away, rented a typical apartment as needed, and will wait it out.

In my neighborhood/community of roughly 100 houses, they are building (slowly due to material prices/shortages)/selling in secondary market at completely retarded prices. House listed in 2017 for $460 just went to contract at $750. House sold last year for $1.1, now listed again for $1.6 Similar stories abound.

We're getting close to a top. They don't ring a bell, but sentiment will change overnight for no specific reason when we get there.
What are you waiting out? and how long do you 'guess'?

Old 05-26-2021, 10:24 AM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
My parents are looking. Left FL over Poor QOL and wanted to have a better well rounded lifestyle (Hills, Mountains, Ocean, a little more cosmopolitan and upscale as they hit their late 60s.. they dont want suburban death spiral). Looking primarily in New England, North Carolina and Chicago.

So far:
-Put in bid on a 190k condo in Chicago at 195k and won. It failed inspection and seller said 'as is' so they walked.. home barely sold for 180k. Terrible decision by seller.. but that's showbiz baby.

-Put in a bid on a 220k town home in Raleigh at 240k and waived everything. Lost it. Zillow says it just sold for 290k. WTF.
-Then another home came on the market in same community for 223k. Parents were about to put a 250k bid on it, all cash, 3 week closing, blah blah blah.. but within 1 hour of being on the market the home sold for 240k (According to Zillow).

-Put in a bid on a 100k home in Raleigh area. For investment-ish. Down the line. The bid was 110k as-is, all cash, 10 day closing. They lost the bid, to a 112k 4 week closing finance offer. It fell through. Seller reached back out to my family, my family basically told them to go F themselves.

-Were looking at homes in NH/MA/CT, but the market just seems to limited, but as inventory comes on line they're waiting to buy in 3 months atm.

I'm noticing the market has changed a little. Id say everywhere in February - April were ULTRA competitive, supply was depleted and people were picking up anything. Now, its a little better.. things are coming on the market.. still very competitive.. but not cut throat EVERYWHERE. Raleigh and Boston are still the most competitive markets they are looking at. The townhomes and condos are selling in less than a day with 20+ offers... STILL.

My old upscale Orlando community things look about the same price was as they were last year. Maybe a small uptick. But things have been on the market a few days.. which is uncommon in RDU and BOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate