Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 11:02 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

190K for mountains, or ocean? Chicago over Florida for improved QOL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 11:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
190K for mountains, or ocean? Chicago over Florida for improved QOL?
Different stroke for different folks. Urbanity, walkability, access to great dining/world class amenities, job opps to live comfortably. Has its faults but still a world class city that is undervalued. Also proximity to ORD is a biiiigggg ++ for when the annual trips to Lisbon, Germany and Aruba take place... aa hub is very important Even though ocean and mountains are far, Chicago has the second best urbanity in the country.

Big negate on ORD Is That we have 6 weddings In Nantucket in 2022-2023.... my family would have to connect through NYC DCA CLT BOS No ACK Nonstop is. Huge downside to ORD

Old 05-26-2021, 06:59 PM

190K for the mountains or ocean?

Really?

Old 05-27-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
190K for the mountains or ocean?

Really?
What does that even mean?

Old 05-27-2021, 10:03 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
-Put in a bid on a 100k home in Raleigh area. For investment-ish. Down the line. The bid was 110k as-is, all cash, 10 day closing. They lost the bid, to a 112k 4 week closing finance offer. It fell through.Seller reached back out to my family, my family basically told them to go F themselves.
Why?

We weren't the first offer accepted on the house were currently closing on. The sellers originally went with another offer, but when that quickly fell through they reached out to others who has placed an offer. They ended up excepting ours. I didn't ever think to take it personally that they originally went with another offer, I was thrilled the other one fell through and we would no longer be spending our free time house hunting. Apparently the first offer worked better for them, but when that fell through our offer ended up working out better then the other offers.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:10 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Grandson is house hunting in St Charles, MO. If there is a suitable house that goes on the market, it gets sold immediately. He has had to widen his radius because there is nothing available in his price range, which is $200-250k.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why?

We weren't the first offer accepted on the house were currently closing on. The sellers originally went with another offer, but when that quickly fell through they reached out to others who has placed an offer. They ended up excepting ours. I didn't ever think to take it personally that they originally went with another offer, I was thrilled the other one fell through and we would no longer be spending our free time house hunting. Apparently the first offer worked better for them, but when that fell through our offer ended up working out better then the other offers.
They used their offer against others. My parents submitted theirs's, and then realtor sent out Email for everyone to increase offers. Besides... full cash, two week closing, as-is and offer 10% over the same day they listed it is A LOT better than 11% over asking, 45 day closing, with appraisal.. and only 3.5% down.

Just saying, when you submit an offer.. don't go to other realtors and say "there is an offer 110k!!!" and then people one up the offer, dont want to work with that buyer's agent, or buyer. Too much risk. If they did something sleazy with the bids and used that offer against them... than no. Also, better homes/condos came on for a better price. So no loss there.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Grandson is house hunting in St Charles, MO. If there is a suitable house that goes on the market, it gets sold immediately. He has had to widen his radius because there is nothing available in his price range, which is $200-250k.
Its rough. That's where we were looking for homes, and I feel we got extremely lucky to get an offer accepted. We were looking at houses in the 220-260k range, so I'm sure we looked at all the same houses as your grandson as there isn't much out there. It's very frustrating when we've put offers on a house listed at 250k and it goes for 300k, to an all cash offer, or for others to waive inspections, appraisals, and financing contingencies. We aren't going into debt to buy a house, and neither of us felt comfortable waiving inspections or financing.

And the way it's all set up... Listings go active on Thursday's, most showings start Friday afternoon, and all offers are due by 6pm Sunday. So we had about 48 hours to look at all the houses currently on the market, figure out which one we thought we had the best chance of getting, put an offer in, and hope for good news Monday afternoon. And if not, the whole process started all over again since every house we looked at also had a pending offer.

Thankfully we only ended up going about 4k over with oour accepted offer, and they only wanted us to get rid of our offer being contingent on seeing the HOA bylaws. Which was weird, but our realtor ended up finding a copy and there wasn't anything concerning with the HOA. Otherwise, we got to keep the inspection, financial, and appraisal contingencies.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:40 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its rough. That's where we were looking for homes, and I feel we got extremely lucky to get an offer accepted. We were looking at houses in the 220-260k range, so I'm sure we looked at all the same houses as your grandson as there isn't much out there. It's very frustrating when we've put offers on a house listed at 250k and it goes for 300k, to an all cash offer, or for others to waive inspections, appraisals, and financing contingencies. We aren't going into debt to buy a house, and neither of us felt comfortable waiving inspections or financing.

And the way it's all set up... Listings go active on Thursday's, most showings start Friday afternoon, and all offers are due by 6pm Sunday. So we had about 48 hours to look at all the houses currently on the market, figure out which one we thought we had the best chance of getting, put an offer in, and hope for good news Monday afternoon. And if not, the whole process started all over again since every house we looked at also had a pending offer.

Thankfully we only ended up going about 4k over with oour accepted offer, and they only wanted us to get rid of our offer being contingent on seeing the HOA bylaws. Which was weird, but our realtor ended up finding a copy and there wasn't anything concerning with the HOA. Otherwise, we got to keep the inspection, financial, and appraisal contingencies.
Glad you found one. It’s crazy out there.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
What does that even mean?
If I have to explain you'd never get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate