Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 06:49 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A year ago, our neighbors replaced an old wooden fence, but built it on our side of what appears to be the property line. (Pipe with red on top stuck into ground at corner where four lots meet.

I discussed this with him as he was setting the posts and he said he did it this way due to where the trees are and that his wife would have a fit if he didn't enclose a strip of their back yard.

I tried to persuade him to move the fence posts back as it could prove troublesome when it came time to sell, and he replied that they didn't intend to sell, but if and when the time came, he would just say that it is our fence.

Not wanting to get into a big fight over a fence built a foot or two onto our lot, we let it go.

Well, now they plan to sell the summer. I doubt the buyer will object to a fence enclosing part of our lot.

But should we?

Should we just let it go and handle any problems that come up when we sell?

Should we get an attorney to write a letter telling them they need to move the fence back to their own lot before selling?

Thanks for time and thought in responding to this.

"Not wanting to get into a big fight over a fence built a foot or two onto our lot, we let it go."
Your mistake here. If the fence is on your property, you probably need some legal advise. And I wcould highly recommend settling this and having the fence moved off your property prior to the sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 09:05 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Tell the neighbor to remove their fence from your property by such and such a date. Then if it's not done, very quickly remove it from your property before they can call the cops on you, in the dead of night if necessary. Why? Because it is going to cost thousands in lawyer fees when the outcome will be the same, to reclaim your property. After you remove their fence from your property, they really can't sue you and win anything, so there you go. This is one of those situations in which you don't ask first to have a cookie, you stick your hand in the jar and get one, or that cookie will cost you thousands.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:06 AM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Before you generate a legal stream, it’s best to get a certified survey. Then you’ll know where you stand.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:03 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Tell the neighbor to remove their fence from your property by such and such a date. Then if it's not done, very quickly remove it from your property before they can call the cops on you, in the dead of night if necessary. Why? Because it is going to cost thousands in lawyer fees when the outcome will be the same, to reclaim your property. After you remove their fence from your property, they really can't sue you and win anything, so there you go. This is one of those situations in which you don't ask first to have a cookie, you stick your hand in the jar and get one, or that cookie will cost you thousands.
I would check with a lawyer in your state to determine the soundness of that approach. I am obligated to advise of the need for legal representation.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:41 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
What about selling him that small sliver of land? Just make sure he covers the cost of new surveys, recording fees, etc.

Old 05-29-2021, 12:51 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times
Default lawyer

Fight for every inch of your property. Start process now before he has buyers. Yes. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What about selling him that small sliver of land? Just make sure he covers the cost of new surveys, recording fees, etc.
That sounds good but many municipalities don't allow irregularly shaped lot lines. So maybe easier said than done.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:19 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would check with a lawyer in your state to determine the soundness of that approach. I am obligated to advise of the need for legal representation.
It's only been a year since the fence went up, squatter's right to steal the land doesn't exist, that takes 21 years now. What's he going to sue him for, not letting him keep a fence on his property? Let's see...damage to the fence if he removed it improperly so that it couldn't be salvaged? He put the fence on his neighbor's property, the neighbor now owns the fence.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:32 PM

20 posts, read 13,464 times
Here's what I would do:

Compose a letter specifying the fence encroaching in your yard, the neighbor's acknowledgement of it (cite your conversation and give a date if you remember), and note that it is unacceptable and you want them to remedy it.

In other words put them on notice that it's a problem they created and need to remedy as soon as possible - that's throwing the ball in their court.

If they don't fix it, send a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, whatever notice periodically, just to note you mean business - lol.

Send the letter certified mail.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It's only been a year since the fence went up, squatter's right to steal the land doesn't exist, that takes 21 years now. What's he going to sue him for, not letting him keep a fence on his property? Let's see...damage to the fence if he removed it improperly so that it couldn't be salvaged? He put the fence on his neighbor's property, the neighbor now owns the fence.
Again if it's not New York I can't give advice but the lawsuit would be for specific performance, to compel him to remove the fence, or to "quiet title" to his implicit claim on your property. In either case part of the suit is "in rem" to establish rights. It can always be settled, which I would have "so ordered" by a judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate