Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 02:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

Interest rates being practically nonexistent doesn't help (or hurt, depending on your perspective), either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 02:18 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
....... People thinking housing prices are just going to keep going up and up and up........

I don't know how many people think that houses will keep going up and up, but I sure know a lot of people who think that the dollar is going to lose lot of purchasing power and do it real soon.

Real estate and precious metals are both hedges against inflation and not much else is. Right now, mortgages are dirt cheap and that is very unlikely to last. Getting money into a place sheltered from inflation and only paying 2% interest to do it is rather attractive.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:36 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,978,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't think you have it right.

Demand has stacked up for years, and the inventory to serve the pent up demand is just insufficient.
As usual, I agree with Mike.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:36 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't think you have it right.

Demand has stacked up for years, and the inventory to serve the pent up demand is just insufficient.
Yep. New construction has been lagging for a decade so this is what happens when demand outpaces supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know how many people think that houses will keep going up and up, but I sure know a lot of people who think that the dollar is going to lose lot of purchasing power and do it real soon.

Real estate and precious metals are both hedges against inflation and not much else is. Right now, mortgages are dirt cheap and that is very unlikely to last. Getting money into a place sheltered from inflation and only paying 2% interest to do it is rather attractive.
This too. Real estate at these low-interest non-ARM rates is the way to go if we head into an inflationary period.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know how many people think that houses will keep going up and up...Right now, mortgages are dirt cheap and that is very unlikely to last. Getting money into a place sheltered from inflation and only paying 2% interest to do it is rather attractive.
I redacted out that which I don't know about. Residential real estate is what I do. That's what I quoted, that I agree with.

If you're only paying 4% or less for one of the 3 absolute necessities (food, shelter, clothing) for a relatively fixed price for 30 years, and can invest your other dollars in other assets that have shown for decades upon decades to do better than 4% - that's about all you need to know.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:55 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,978,734 times
What was the reported number recently, US needs an additional 4 million homes I think was the projected number. My idiot county locally here put a 90 day moratorium on new construction. Only hurts...

Old 06-02-2021, 01:01 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
And now with 2x4s selling for $10/each and plywood at $75 and you can’t even buy decent tools due to computer chip shortages, we don’t even need the tyrant collectivist state to stifle building. The economy, which the tyrants destroyed, is doing it for them.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:49 PM

7,520 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
It’s not like buying a pair of shoes.

So, no I have not noticed that at all.

I was going to say it's not like buying an i-Phone.

Inventory has been low for years and then they lowered interest rates these young people are getting 2.5% on a 30 year fixed mortgage. Not just humans being humans...

Old 06-03-2021, 12:16 AM

72 posts, read 44,976 times
There is undoubtedly a mania going on right now. The psychological factors -- mainly FOMO -- are the key factors driving this market, with "fundamentals" as a distant second. It's not so different from Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo and toilet paper. The frenzy will soon cool off as newly vaccinated people get into the summer swing of things. They'll soon realize that there's more to life than Redfin.

Many people experienced the pandemic as an existential threat. Understandably, perceived suburban safety became attractive.

What happens when Covid fades away?

Hmm ...

If you had a suburban house with decades of deferred maintenance, I hope you've unloaded it by now. You may not get another chance like this.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Already a lot of regrets from people jumping in with both feet. Apparently they never thought through the whole ownership cost. In our case for example, in the last few years we have spend $14,000 on all new windows, $20,000 for new roof and gutters, and $8,000 for exterior painting. But . . .that's after living here 27 years. When you pay over asking and wave the inspections sometimes big costs come up right after you buy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...hey%20overpaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate