Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have an offer on a home that was accepted with a portion of the EMD non-refundable at acceptance. The property was misrepresented in the listing as it included bedrooms and bathrooms that were not permitted in the basement and did not show up in the city's records.

The seller delivered a set of incomplete/conflicting disclosures with quite a few disclosures missing. If the seller doesn't deliver a completed set of disclosures by the Seller Disclosure Deadline, is the seller in default and am I allowed to back out of the contract without forfeiting any of my EMD?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 06:06 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
What does your attorney say?

Old 06-02-2021, 06:50 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Or better yet, what does the disclosure say?

I just passed on a land deal in a western state that requires disclosure from the seller within five days of offer acceptance. We got an accepted offer on a Tuesday, by Friday we still didn't have a disclosure document. No matter, as we found defects in the property by then with our due diligence, but when they finally handed over an out of date and incomplete disclosure form to our agent on Saturday it was an easy "game over" for us.

RM

Old 06-02-2021, 07:01 PM

The disclosure has conflicting information - the seller currently occupies and the seller has never occupied are both checked. The zoning compliance is also left blank along with other more minor disclosures.

Appreciate the thoughts!

Old 06-02-2021, 07:48 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
You are asking us to advise you on what a contract we have never read, says. So... don't expect much.

You really need legal counsel.

As a practical human issue not a legal issue, the real question often will come down to whether the seller thinks it is a justifiable reason to cancel, because the title company (or whoever is holding the earnest money) isn't likely to get between you to decide. If the seller won't sign to release the earnest money, you may need to take it to court in order to get it. Depends on what the seller does, and the laws and customs in your area, and what your contract says.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 06-02-2021 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-02-2021, 08:10 PM

I haven't deposited the earnest money yet as it's not yet due and this issue literally arose right after they signed the contract. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has encountered a similar situation.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloturbo View Post
I haven't deposited the earnest money yet as it's not yet due and this issue literally arose right after they signed the contract. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has encountered a similar situation.

Similar like unpermitted work in basements and additions and conflicting or missing disclosure answers? All the time. Sometimes it's important, sometimes it isn't. Depends.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Similar like unpermitted work in basements and additions and conflicting or missing disclosure answers? All the time. Sometimes it's important, sometimes it isn't. Depends.
Thanks, Diana. I meant in terms of what would happen to the EMD if I choose not to deliver based on the misrepresentation on the listing of what I thought I bid on or just on the failure to deliver complete disclosures by the deadline. Would the seller have the right to come after me for the EMD or is there just cause that I am in the clear?

Old 06-02-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Diana. I meant in terms of what would happen to the EMD if I choose not to deliver based on the misrepresentation on the listing of what I thought I bid on or just on the failure to deliver complete disclosures by the deadline. Would the seller have the right to come after me for the EMD or is there just cause that I am in the clear?
Depends whether you have a seller who wants to fight, or just wants to be rid of you quickly so they can go on to the next buyer.

Lots of people who can sue, don't. But I've seen some of both kinds. I don't know which of you would win on this. But people get mad when they perceive someone isn't keeping their word.

Were there other competing bids? If you're only a couple days into the contract, they may be able to call up the second-best offer and not have to put it back on the market. That makes it easier to just let you go. Sometimes.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:14 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:

Read your Offer, and the Disclosures.
They should provide your answer. If not, what does your agent say, if you have one?
If you have no agent, you should run the contract and disclosures to a local real estate attorney for opinion and guidance.

Knowledge and application of local rules and laws and practices regarding contract matters are much more important than well-meaning forum member opinions from across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate