Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 06:54 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

So because of rising supply costs they can't build you the original home, but they can build you a smaller one for the same price. Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 10:53 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Right?! I didn't get why they didn't have the supplies to build my home but then suddenly they have the supplies to the build the smaller one. I am sure it was because of the cost of materials have gone up and they had to figure a way to charge more. It was only a 100 sq ft more for the bigger home. They should've have just been honest. I did hear the other manufacturers are having the same issues.
Maybe they ordered the lumber package for the smaller house a while ago when prices were lower and already have it on hand. Maybe buying the lumber package for the bigger house now would be prohibitively expensive. Maybe the builder isn't trying to rip you off. This really is an unprecedented situation affecting the whole country. It's very difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone else get their contract cancelled by the builder?-lumber.jpg  

Old 06-07-2021, 08:06 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
We have contracts for a reason. I'd expect them to deliver my home for the price unless the contract allows for termination. But then I wouldn't have signed a contract allowing them to cancel for no reason.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:19 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
We have contracts for a reason. I'd expect them to deliver my home for the price unless the contract allows for termination. But then I wouldn't have signed a contract allowing them to cancel for no reason.
Bingo. Bango

Old 06-07-2021, 09:18 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I wonder what I can do? I've read the contract multiple times and nowhere, that I see, does it say they can terminate. It does say they can make substitutions. OK, but I am not getting any of the upgrades that I paid for and I also paid a $2900 engineering fee. That's not a substitution. This is the clause that I am referring about. If I terminate, I lose my deposit. They are offering to give me back the deposit since they are terminating the contract. Isn't this considered "breach of contract" on their part?

"CHANGES BY MANUFACTURER. Buyer understands that the manufacturer may make any changes in the model, or designs, or any accessories and parts from time to time, and at any
time, if the manufacturer does make changes, neither Dealer nor the manufacturer are obligated to make the same changes in the Unit Buyer is purchasing and covered by this order, either before or after it is delivered to Buyer."

Last edited by beckycat; 06-07-2021 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Maybe they ordered the lumber package for the smaller house a while ago when prices were lower and already have it on hand. Maybe buying the lumber package for the bigger house now would be prohibitively expensive. Maybe the builder isn't trying to rip you off. This really is an unprecedented situation affecting the whole country. It's very difficult.
I hear what you are saying and you came up with some good assumptions. I was told this home was ordered much more recent than my home for a higher price. It's only a 100 sq ft difference. 1100 sq ft- 1200 sq ft.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:34 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
We had a builder cancel a contract for a townhome in 1983.
They promised to buy down the interest rate and then decided it was too expensive for them.
That is when I learned about "buyer shall have the right of specific performance" which was not in our contract.
We bought another house.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:58 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
For a while I've been eyeing the many new builds, and lately the stretches of THs etc that went up more recently but are no where near finished....people thinking they wanted to get on the coattails but looked like it was getting too late in this economy situation...and wondering what will the landscape look like soon. May find out soon enough.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:17 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Does your contract say anything about force majeure? I'm involved in a commercial construction project, and our contracted price is about to go up on grounds of force majeure because of lumber prices. If you google "construction force majeure" you'll see a lot of recent traffic.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Does your contract say anything about force majeure? I'm involved in a commercial construction project, and our contracted price is about to go up on grounds of force majeure because of lumber prices. If you google "construction force majeure" you'll see a lot of recent traffic.
No it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate