Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 10:18 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times

Advertisements

(according to my buyers) Because the other houses that they liked would have stretched their budget, and didn't leave them with any extra cash to use to "personalize" the house a bit after they bought it, as well as to budget for maintenance, the insane cost of heating in this area, etc. And because it had a "good vibe".

(my interpretations) Because they were interested in buying a house that they could afford, not MORE house than they could afford, and they had a reasonable approach to determining what they could afford. And they were willing to look past the surface and buy a home with good fundamentals, in a good location, realizing that most else could be fixed/changed.

And, because without real estate commissions they could get more house within their budget.

FWIW. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 05-11-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: remove inadvertent smilies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Exactly. sounds like you're buyers are reasonable people. I wish some would come my way! I also wish people would look at houses just slightly over their budget, and not waste everyone's time.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:44 PM

151 posts, read 798,901 times
Sweetbeet....do your buyers have siblings who'd like to live in Houston?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:50 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
(according to my buyers) Because the other houses that they liked would have stretched their budget, and didn't leave them with any extra cash to use to "personalize" the house a bit after they bought it, as well as to budget for maintenance, the insane cost of heating in this area, etc. And because it had a "good vibe".

(my interpretations) Because they were interested in buying a house that they could afford, not MORE house than they could afford, and they had a reasonable approach to determining what they could afford. And they were willing to look past the surface and buy a home with good fundamentals, in a good location, realizing that most else could be fixed/changed.

And, because without real estate commissions they could get more house within their budget.

FWIW. Your mileage may vary.
If only this was the way people thought a few years ago.
Nice post here.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 AM

323 posts, read 2,089,787 times
Congrats on your home sale!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
If only this was the way people thought a few years ago.
It makes sense, actually. The people who waited and/or didn't pay too much during the boom probably always felt this way. They are actually going to be the most cost conscious buyers who are more likely to buy the house they need rather than more house than they can afford.

They're also more likely to have better credit, qualify for loans, etc. because they've probably always lived within their means.

The bottom line in this market is price. It's a good thing I'm moving because my neighbors will probably lynch me when I slash the price and this comp hits the market ...

But I never thought this house was worth that much anyway ... which is why I didn't pay too much for it and, why I never borrowed on it even when values doubled.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Congrats on the sale! It's funny your wrote this. We had a showing last Wednesday and they loved our house and lot (which is way above average size for subdivisions - almost 1 acre). But they said they weren't interested. I asked our agent to find out why. It wasn't doing us any good to have all this feedback saying priced right, great upkeep, blah, blah, blah if we didn't know why they weren't considering ours. Anyway, she said they thought they could get a bigger house on the same size lot for less money. Not gonna happen unless they want to go way out in the country away from everything. She called back and said they will probably be back for a 2nd look b/c they weren't having the luck they thought they would and our house was one of the favorites. Haven't heard anything yet but it is a buyer's market and it sucks for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate